Chang dao ling

White moon on a mountain peak

On 8/13/2023 at 5:56 AM, Chang dao ling said:

What's your opinion 

I thought it was an interesting read especially because he talks about his personal experiences.  But I don't think I could practice from it.  I got more from translations of Chinese texts like Wang Mu.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Apech said:

I thought it was an interesting read especially because he talks about his personal experiences.  But I don't think I could practice from it.  I got more from translations of Chinese texts like Wang Mu.

What is Wang mu

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Apech said:

Personally I see little utility in translations outside of a practice guided by a teacher

These texts are all confirmatory, never instructional

For example...if we were to talk about Kan and Li practice, I have seen that specific author (FP) speak at length about it (with some errors too i might add) and yet never actually tell anyone how to do it

Another issue is, regards neidan, the terms are recycled at different stages in practice. The same term might be used twice, but refer to something else

This can cause a great deal of confusion

Edited by Shadow_self
  • Like 2

I am reading the White Moon book while also taking online class on the same subject with the author. The class is a better, more nuanced teaching vehicle than the book but I am happy to have the book as a resource to provide more in depth context.    Having experienced some of the background processes I am sure affects how I view and understand the material in the book. Feeling the Ming line is quite different than just reading about it.  I think the learning issue for me won’t be the efficacy of the material but in my own readiness and commitment (and karma).

For me books, in general, are not as effective for learning something as online lectures, live online is better than recorded online because feedback is available real time, and  live in person  provides the best transmission (but relies a lot on memory if you don’t have a recording of what was originally taught to refer back to ). some combination of the above is the likely sweet spot for learning.  

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Chang dao ling said:

Are you practicing neidan by reading this book?

No I just learned basic theory from it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sahaja said:

I am reading the White Moon book while also taking online class on the same subject with the author. The class is a better, more nuanced teaching vehicle than the book but I am happy to have the book as a resource to provide more in depth context.    Having experienced some of the background processes I am sure affects how I view and understand the material in the book. Feeling the Ming line is quite different than just reading about it.  I think the learning issue for me won’t be the efficacy of the material but in my own readiness and commitment (and karma).

For me books, in general, are not as effective for learning something as online lectures, live online is better than recorded online because feedback is available real time, and  live in person  provides the best transmission (but relies a lot on memory if you don’t have a recording of what was originally taught to refer back to ). some combination of the above is the likely sweet spot for learning.  

For me I learned qi gong and nei dan from a teacher and am an experienced meditator.  I currently practice vajrayana though but maintain an interest in the Chinese internal arts.  I read Wang Mu and books like the Cantonqi in order to give myself a perspective on the history of inner alchemy and how the subtle body works and so on. (I'm also interested in the history and in particular the influence of Chinese Daoism on Tibetan Buddhism which is over looked).

I think if you have experience and can feel qi and so on - then a book can help - but you can't learn entirely from it - especially postures and moving forms which I find both illustrations in books and DVDs etc. are no good to follow unless to remind you of something you've already done.

I find Damo interesting - and also sincere and well informed - but I feel some limitations in his level of awareness and so on - also a few things I don't agree with at all.  But overall I'd say he's one of the better sources out there if you want to learn.

• Like 2

I have been blessed with a number of competent teachers over the years. But my experience is when the dialogue goes much beyond the “how do I do this”  or “why does this do this” into their own personal views I often have found significant disconnects with my own personal views that on occasion have been a bit surprising.   Perhaps this is a good thing in some respects as it helps me keep perspective on the teacher student relationship.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Apech said:

I learned qi gong and nei dan from a teacher

Can you please tell the name of the teacher. Can he teaches online? I am from India so i don't access to a neidan teacher my only option is online. I am interested in neidan

3 hours ago, Chang dao ling said:

Can you please tell the name of the teacher. Can he teaches online? I am from India so i don't access to a neidan teacher my only option is online. I am interested in neidan

my teacher died a few years ago and didn’t teach online anyway

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Chang dao ling said:

Can I ask you what did you learn from him?

Basics.

• Like 1