Ragnor

Hello! Looking for a good qigong style for a beginner

Hello! I am not exactly new here (I joined over ten years ago), but I haven't really followed the forums much in that time. I came back since I recently developed an interest in qigong due to a mystery health issue.

Two weeks ago I tried out a Robert Peng video(this one - https://www.soundstrue.com/products/am-pm-qigong) that I bought online after seeing a review from a guy who had CFS and cured it by doing these videos over a couple of months. Since then I have observed really nice improvements in my body, my HRV as measured by my fitbit went up by more than 20 points(from 50s-60s to 80+), my resting heart rate went down from 67 to 63, and I have observed feeling better subjectively, with more energy, a clearer mind and feelings of well-being. I am not cured by any means yet, if I was at 10% health before, I may be at 15-20% now.

This change has been quite amazing to me, since nothing else worked so effectively or instantly, and has inspired me to develop a long-term qigong practice. I am a bit conflicted though, on one hand I want to continue my current practice and see how far it leads me, on the other I want to start with a system that I can learn and master long-term rather than just follow a single video.

That said, I don't think there is any harm in soliciting opinions from experienced practitioners, so I was hoping for suggestions about other systems I could follow that maybe fit my requirements better:

1. I am mainly looking for improvements to health and fitness, I already practice Mahamudra/Dzogchen from Tibetan Buddhism for spirituality, however I am not opposed to spiritual systems if they also fit the previous criteria. Buddhist systems might actually be complementary considering my background.

2. It is something I can do online or through videos, at least initially. I am not in a position to travel anywhere to learn stuff for now.

3. Like I mentioned above, something which I can learn and master long-term, and ideally is my only source of exercise, if such a system even exists(I will settle for just health improvements and supplement with other exercise if I am asking for too much).

Here are the ones that I found and my thoughts so far:

1. Flying Phoenix qigong - I would have started with this instead of the Robert Peng video if it hadn't been for the fact that I only found DVDs and I don't have a DVD player haha. I will get one though if it is necessary. I was especially attracted to it after reading the lineage started with Kwan Yin.

2. Fragrant qigong - Similar to above with the DVDs, but I would actually prefer something that I have to focus on rather than something I can do watching television as advertised on the website.

3. Spring Forest qigong - Perhaps the exercises are really powerful, but they seemed rather basic to me, and my mind wanted something more complex

Could people please help me out with some thoughts and opinions on this subject?

Thank you!

Edited by Ragnor
  • Like 1

I skipped the PM qigong for one day and my sleep was back to being terrible, I guess that shows how much of an effect the practice was having. I think I will stick to it for now until I plateau somewhere. I also found out that Robert Peng has a book where he does detail a system and study plan for the system, which is enough to satisfy my hunger for long-term learning for now.

Edit - Could someone please let me know what Robert Peng's tradition is so that I can read more about it and find others who teach the same stuff he does?

Edited by Ragnor

Hi Ragnor,

Interesting that you've experienced improvements with the Robert Peng video.  I've taken his Yi Jin Jing course online (offered several times a year) and found it valuable.  I haven't experienced any particular health changes with the material, but I put that down to my on-and-off practice schedule rather than any fault of the qigong.  If you like Robert Peng's style and approach you might check out his YI Jin Jing.

8 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

Hi Ragnor,

Interesting that you've experienced improvements with the Robert Peng video.  I've taken his Yi Jin Jing course online (offered several times a year) and found it valuable.  I haven't experienced any particular health changes with the material, but I put that down to my on-and-off practice schedule rather than any fault of the qigong.  If you like Robert Peng's style and approach you might check out his YI Jin Jing.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will enroll in the next session! Are you also familiar with his Four Golden Wheels and Three Treasures meditations? It seems like that video was somewhat adapted from those meditations, and that is what he teaches in his book.

• Like 1

I've read his book but I''ve never devoted myself to the book's practices.  In addition to the Yi Jin Jing, Robert Peng offers other classes online regularly.  I get promotional emails from him all the time and I believe you can add yourself to his mailing list by signing up on his website.  If you're unsure which of his practices are most likely to suit your particular health goals you could write and ask for a recommendation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

I've read his book but I''ve never devoted myself to the book's practices.  In addition to the Yi Jin Jing, Robert Peng offers other classes online regularly.  I get promotional emails from him all the time and I believe you can add yourself to his mailing list by signing up on his website.  If you're unsure which of his practices are most likely to suit your particular health goals you could write and ask for a recommendation.

I didn't realize writing to him was an option, I will try that, thank you for the suggestion!

• Like 1

As a qigong teacher of many years I understand how difficult it can be to learn qigong. Many of my students tell me the same thing-knocked around by different approaches, limited videos or even books, or teachers who expect their students to have unlimited finances. I know many well-known qigong teachers in the USA, and I am so disappointed of the amount of money they charge for their studies. My certification studies were never very high and I even lowered them when the pandemic hit. As a result I have even more students and many of them from the UK, Canada, and throughout the USA.

It is important to have a single approach to learning qigong. Jumping from one topic to another without a grounding commonality is not the best way. New students need a basic foundation in Chinese medicine, the core qigong/Daoist principles, a system of qigong which is broad but unified and has depth. Meditation is a part of the history of Daoist cultivation and should be an essential part of qigong cultivation. If you feel inclined to what I offer, visit my web site. qigongdragon.com    shifu Michael

• Like 1