Sign in to follow this  
Tom Beckett

Beginning my training in Tonglen

I’ve chosen to start meditating Tonglen daily from now to at least the end of April. However, I still have some questions on how Tonglen might actually work.

From my current knowledge Tonglen is a form of meditation where you breathe in the suffering of others and then convert it to compassion and breathe it out. Over time as one’s training the suffering one breathes in will begin to feel more real and so will the feeling of compassion and joy when one converts, heals it and breathes the suffering out.

Is this how Tonglen actually functions or is there more?

please tell me if you know anything as I will update my status on my training daily or at least weekly.

Any advice is welcome!

Edited by Tom Beckett

21 hours ago, Tom Beckett said:

I’ve chosen to start meditating Tonglen daily from now to at least the end of April. However, I still have some questions on how Tonglen might actually work.

From my current knowledge Tonglen is a form of meditation where you breathe in the suffering of others and then convert it to compassion and breathe it out. Over time as one’s training the suffering one breathes in will begin to feel more real and so will the feeling of compassion and joy when one converts, heals it and breathes the suffering out.

please tell me if you know anything as I will update my status on my training daily or at least weekly.

Any advice is welcome!

Hi Tom,

Tonglen as a practice is part of what is known as Lo Jong (usually translated as Mind Training) and comprises a once secret (but now widely known) Mahayana technique or practical approach to applying the way of the Bodhisattva.  A key text in Lo Jong is Geshe Chekhawa's 'Seven Points of Mind Training' which is in the tradition of the great Atisha (who introduced monastic Buddhism to Tibet in the 9?th century).

You can understand Tonglen correctly by studying this text and there are several excellent books on the subject - although it is preferable to get personal instructions from a qualified Lama - even though as a Mahayana sutra based approach the need for tantric empowerment does not apply.  If you can't get personal instructions I can recommend the following books:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dispelling-Darkness-Suffering-Rinpoche-Thinley/dp/2360170538/ref=sr_1_1?crid=OAMDEK1ZP2RS&keywords=dispelling+the+darkness+of+suffering&qid=1680619244&sprefix=ispelling+the+%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-1

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HZ9Q91S/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0813VLG6S/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i1

Hope this is of some help and good luck with your practice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I find THIS to be a very illuminating intro to Tonglen.

Personally I like to develop mettá a bit before practicing tonglen. And what I consider to be an important part of the instructions is not only that you breathe in the problems, sufferings and disease of sentient beings but also that it helps destroy your selfishness (or however to call it, can't remember the precise wording).

On 4/3/2023 at 9:48 AM, Tom Beckett said:

Any advice is welcome!

I studied and practiced in the Nyingma tradition for 20 years, and still practice Tonglen where it seems skillful.

The practice is intended to erode self cherishing, and train the practitioner to shift how we frame our interactions with others and our compassion for their suffering. 

I have never found that the suffering feels more "real" exactly, only that my emotional coolness about the suffering of others and myself is has greatly dissolved and is much better understood - so, a general increase in Bodhicitta. 

I'd say your description is a fine general outline. My suggestion is to see how it shifts YOU. Notice how you feel about various situations in your life and notice how they shift over time. Make it part of your daily life, and take it everywhere - use it where you notice there is suffering of ANY being. I would suggest combining it with the Lojong practices, which are even MORE transformative, for maximum effect. If you have a Tibetan Buddhist teacher ask if they might work with you on it. You can read the texts and try it yourself too. I'd suggest:

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Path-Awakening-Cultivating-Compassion/dp/1590302141

Edited by stirling
* I see Apech beat me to it. :)

Sign in to follow this