zerostao

Martial Arts

On this site when we talk about martial arts, many may think of Asian kung fu or internal martial arts. Some may think of taiji treatises, baguazhang songs, xingyi quan poems, or The Book of Five Rings.

Some May think of wooden dummies, iron hand & iron body training, even acupuncture points…

Well, this thread starts off with something different.

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2

So, thread began with Lynn Thompson, a weapons manufacturer, owning the company Cold Steel.

Another Thompson, John T. Championed the Tommy gun aka Chicago typewriter. With the idea it could sweep up trenches during WW1, that war ended before production. The first war the Thompson sub machine gun performed in, the first such to be called a sub machine gun, was the 1921 Blair Mountain War in West Virginia; used by West Virginia state police against striking coal miners. Later the US army rode in on train and massacred the coal miners as they slept in their tents, but I digress.

175 million Thomason’s were manufactured by 1945. Before use by allied forces, these sub machine guns proved their worth used by street gangsters, lawmen, Chinese war lords, etc 

Even Tommy Shelby used one against a small gypsy camp for placing a curse on his family.

One of my favorite characters from Peaky Blinders is Winston Churchill 

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/winston-churchill-with-tommy-gun.html

Moving along with the thread,,,

another American from those 20th century war times; Tony Biddle trained US Marines in hand to hand combat, authored the 1937 book Do or Die.

https://www.amazon.com/Do-Die-Supplementary-Manual-Individual/dp/1626541612

related video

• Like 2

" ... they might find themselves in a place where knives are used a lot , like the Philippines. "

Here is one of their old school masters . His style may look  ' unorthodox '   but .... these guys learnt doing it 'for real ' . 

[ I have recently dumped  the 'style' I have been doing for years  and am heading in this direction *  - I have been heading that way for some time anyway .  What attracted me to this video when I first saw it recently was ..... ' Hey ! That guy is doing some things I do to my instructor  when he tries his stuff on me ( especially from 1: 17 ... he was constantly 'loosing' his fingers .... another reason I left .... he doesnt really know what he is doing ) . ]

The  Master ;

Sonny is gone now but the tradition continues with students.     I have wanted to 'dance my form'  for some time now, accompanied by drumming

A lot of it comes via Moro people  .  I am very attracted to its modern interpretation  of 'flow, spontaneity and the other principles ( see from 6 : 50 below )  mentioned  '  especially via ' Guro Jay '  .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Thank you @Nungali for sharing Sonny & Jay. Good concepts used in that community imo.

I am going to continue with knives and return of this gent.

“Return of weapons, tactics, of earlier times.”

Indeed, to primitive cave man style. My thought; trench knife vs tomahawk ?

a couple of generations later, (although, shovels, pick ax, hammer, etc used in WW1)

http://militaryanalysis.blogspot.com/2015/08/war-tomahawk.html

Sometimes, less tech works best.

Bowie knives would’ve worked just fine in this scenario as well.

Edited by zerostao

Here is one I heard about in a documentary on Aussies in WWII , New Guinea  ( a while back so the details are blurry) .

Aussie paratrooper landing behind enemy lines but  but his chute failed , went out of control , not only landed in the middle of a Jap camp but came through the mess tent  roof ....  at lunchtime !  Managed to fight them off with hand to hand combat and his knife. Escaped into jungle, he was pursued but later found dead from the injuries sustained in the fight .

WWI tools used as weapons  .... I am sure you are familiar with that from Okinawa ;  sickle, handle, oar, rice flail, hoe,  etc .

• Like 1

Tools of the trade,,

on the cheap,,

if you’re on the site looking for warm and fuzzy, 

welcome!!?

keeping it Spiritual

if even somewhat Old Testament;

Ecclesiastical Wisdom 

For everything there is a season.

every fourth generational, a time to

in the digital age up in Cape Cod the boy that died wolf & the bigger the river, the bigger the drought. Words of wisdom.

and now sum songs 

** NOT for sale to Australia, the UK, Canada, New Zealand.

although California is ok??

hmm idk I make no claims to legal advise, in fact, I’m anarchy in motion.

https://www.coldsteel.com/fgx-tai-pan/

Of course Ecclesiastes is ancient poetry suggesting that we may be in a simulation, ancient Greeks also considered the idea,,,,,,

never the less

be that as it may or may not be

////

the sticking point remains 

Okay

https://www.knifecenter.com/department/combat-and-tactical-knives/fixed-blade-daggers

Kershaw Gerber Spartan AG Russell Boker et al

the things that sell

Made in Taiwan

And a final word of caution about knife fighting or toma hawking against the one with the Can Tuc Kee thunder stick and/or the one with OG BGZ skillz

The song remains the same as it ever was

Descended of a Mythical race. 
His Real Life exceeded Myth or  merely Legend.  
On Battlefields where everything (including Life) could be lost on any given day, to not only survive, and to taste victory and all that goes with that, over a quarter century, often by having to place himself at the most heated or dire moment of battle, at the front, being the tip of the Spear,,, actually a Sword  with Noble Phantasm Merged Powers, that each and every time, winning the day….and not only That Sword along with other Excalibur class weapons /  beware of English Kings whose language is Danish War Axe , and with that and those, his Coeur de Lion, 

All of that and those, a Heart of a Mythical Majestic Lion,,,,…More than a Lion,,,

AND UNDOUBTEDLY the HIGHEST LEVEL of FIGHTING SPIRIT 

Yes, the Skilz, experiences, the Highest Ronin characteristics without being Ronin, which is curiously remarkable along several levels,,,,,,

This Type of individual,, strikes Fear & Awe, commands Respect from the oppositions top Elite Forces, and draws stray Warriors of High Fighting Spirits, masters of moments of chaos and uncertainty, even a most ronin Ronin wouldn’t resist joining forces with this Type of individual. “ Like Dogs of War They Snarled, willing to fight to the Death. Our troops were terrified of them, dumbfounded by their steadfastness.”

To quote Saladin’s top scribe Ibn Shabbad, 

Saladin himself, Legendary, Highly Regarded. However, lacking the Mythical pedigree,,,,more of an astute skilled politician, imo

even if one of the better ones,,,,

so as a battle tested warrior of mythic level, 

Richard Coeur de Lion, commands attention.

and don’t you question why he is so fashionable Right Now?

On 5/18/2023 at 5:07 PM, old3bob said:

Yes,, walking canes can enter aero planes and court rooms 

The riddle of steel… I’ve been manifesting this fellas instruments of pleasure & destruction  left and right for the past year, thankfully spared arm and leg prices by dudes who only wanted them for decorative value!?😳🤯 these are the ones I’m drilling and playing at present.

And Omg this one feels just like handling a pistol I’m huge fan of this guys work!

This one surprised the hell out of me with how light it handles definitely my favorite.she’s a real slim thick beauty!

I am going to get another on of these too sometime…

And let me tell you guys perfecting my cutting with these, is funner than blasting beer bottles! I gifted this one though; out of respect and circumstances away to my brother. Who in honor of me taking on the two spirit path in life, made me an awesome bone bead necklace with two skulls on it. So I gave this bad boy away for Father’s Day. Something awesome for something awesome. 

• Like 1

@Zorro Dantes

thanks for sharing that awesome post!

I have subscribed to that YT channel. That demo cleanly slicing through the coconut convinced me.

Edited by zerostao
  • Thanks 1