Sue D

Heaven and Earth in qigong

In qigong, connection to earth and heaven is clearly important. I believe that much initial work is setting up alignment and body conditioning so that we can experience support from the ground beneath our feet; that is my experience. I work on establishing a benevolent connection to the earth both through gardening (caring for the soil) and in qigong (where I like the subtle rising support that seems to give me access to an inner elastic quality, even in a simple arm swing). Any comments welcome! But I would also be grateful for information on how we 'experience' the energy of heaven. And is cosmic energy the same as heaven? Or does cosmic include both heaven and earth energy?

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing, I can feel your connection to the earth. Do you ever play with your awareness of and connection to gravity? This can be very interesting and a huge support for things like kicks and one-legged qigong and neijia stances. 

Connecting to sky and heaven can be as simple as standing upright and turning your attention upward, opening the crown of your head to feel the endless open expanse above. Reach upward and outward with attention and openness, and rest in the connection. A simple prayer asking for a connection to the heavens, to unbounded space, may be supportive. 

Like gardening connects you to earth, deepen your relationship with the clear open sky. Try sky gazing. Sit quietly and rest the gaze and full attention on the open sky. Great to do this at altitude, if possible, with the sun at your back. Continually bring your mind to rest with the openness of the sky, notice and reconnect whenever you get disconnected. Feel the openness, the spaciousness in your heart/mind and throughout the body. Become the sky. Any distractions that arise simply liberate into the expanse if you leave them be as they are without pushing away or engaging.

As your connection to the sky gets comfortable, combine the feeling of resting the body fully and deeply in the earth with resting the mind fully open through the crown to the sky as you stand upright. Become aware of you, the spaciousness in the center of your heart that is clear and alert, the center of your being, this experience of being human, connecting heaven and earth. 

Rest there as long as it remains fresh.

Breath naturally.

You could also practice this sitting but there is a special aspect to standing. You can add postures and movement, bringing this connection to Heaven and Earth to every aspect of life. Something I play with often, fwiw.

Good luck in your practice.

🙏🏼

• Like 2

Thank you for this useful reply. Yes, I do play with gravity - recently after some activation of the heel point rather than Bubbling spring. It is a great test, as is simply observing ability to be upright when standing. As you could tell, I like exploring the earth connection! Some time ago, I had some feedback that my qi was not going down to the feet in the first Dragon and Tiger movement. I've taken that to heart. 

On the heaven connection, I like your ideas. particularly 'become the sky'.I will definitely work with that. 

I've reviewed some notes from Zhixing Wang this morning and it seems to me now that he taught the heaven connection as 'catch the living signal'. The methods were different from your suggestion; they used symbolic hand gestures with the results being to go into a state of being suspended, freely mobile, like a planet in the sky. This followed on from what Zhixing calls 'activating qi'. It seems to me the foundation is the work on earth energy as without that you will not be in a condition to absorb heaven energy. Does that make sense?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sue D said:

It seems to me the foundation is the work on earth energy as without that you will not be in a condition to absorb heaven energy. Does that make sense?

It does.

I don't think or speak too much about absorbing energy as these can be very imprecise, even ambiguous terms often defined differently by different people. In a practical sense, having a solid connection to earth serves a very important grounding function. Some experiences in practice can have a destabilizing effect - disturbing emotions can come up, a sense of depersonalization or disembodiment can arise, strange physical sensations, frightening ideas, hallucinations, visitations, delusions of grandeur, all sorts of things. When faced with such experiences, having a solid connection to earth is very supportive. Earth and Heaven balance one another and finding that balance in our lives is a source of stability and health. Being too focused on one or the other can be problematic.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sue D said:

In qigong, connection to earth and heaven is clearly important. I believe that much initial work is setting up alignment and body conditioning so that we can experience support from the ground beneath our feet; that is my experience. I work on establishing a benevolent connection to the earth both through gardening (caring for the soil) and in qigong (where I like the subtle rising support that seems to give me access to an inner elastic quality, even in a simple arm swing). Any comments welcome! But I would also be grateful for information on how we 'experience' the energy of heaven. And is cosmic energy the same as heaven? Or does cosmic include both heaven and earth energy?

Hi . Interesting post . First off, I do not do qigong , but I have another similar practice , so my comments might be invalid to your experience . As time goes on I work more and more with heaven / earth concept ( martial arts , 'energy work' , gardening ). But if there is duality , there is always a third principle.  In this case I call it ' surface ' , ie, where does earth 'stop' and heaven 'begin' ?  Does the atmosphere include earth or is it heaven ?  ( these are all rhetorical questions )  Or is the surface of the earth, that  " support from the ground beneath our feet " ? if so then our bodies are in heaven , connected to the earth . Or ... one thing I like working with , hara  or LTD is mid point , below that is earth and above heaven . Or, a bit more radical visualization ; hara is in heaven because it is the center of the Universe .

Another heaven earth meditation is an attempt at a visualization of yourself sitting on the ground  / surface of the earth and try to get a concept of the relative sizes  or yourself and the earth . Then meditate on the forces and immensity inside the earth ,  the  pressurized  vortices of  radioactive and electromagnetic  forces that 'broil' inside and burst outward ... while you sit on the tiny thin eggshell of crust with all that beneath you . And above you, with merely the thin protection of air  lies the immensity of space, more radiation , vacuum  and freezing temperature .

I relate to your gardening idea ... I used to work for Biodynamic Agriculture Australia  and are familiar with Steiner's  ideas , fascinating stuff.  I read a book called 'The Underworld' once , it was about all the life that lives underground ; from  the microscopic to the mammal , what they do and the effects they have . I'd like to read that book again, it was great !

Also, being in Australia , having an interest and practice in indigenous 'spirituality' , the earth connection in that system is crucial and at the core of the tradition .

Is cosmic energy the same as heaven ?  Not really , for me . Heaven is more of a general and flexible   concept but can include cosmic energy .  Cosmic energy is two types ( again, for me )  one is general and  vague ... it is the idea of drawing energy into the hara  from a sphere all around you that has infinite radius  ( another description of heaven  , while to compliment that, the earth principle is the center of this sphere   which (in an infinite radius sphere ) is 'everywhere ' . The 'heavenly energy' then flows through  your body in different ways  .

The other type is a combination of 'far space radiation' tapped into by the solar system and 'modulated' by the planets and their positions  to be 'reflected' / transformed by the Moon and bathing the Earth - that is specifically the cosmic energy  used in Biodynamic agriculture . It is also the principle behind 'Hermetic development ' of the self . 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, steve said:

Thank you for sharing, I can feel your connection to the earth. Do you ever play with your awareness of and connection to gravity? This can be very interesting and a huge support for things like kicks and one-legged qigong and neijia stances. 

I have a one legged stance    little 'seminar' that I do .  " What good is the one-legged stance ? " many have asked .

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.HpqU3UaUT-RrD6vcCohvZQAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=375845de83aad2c9cf87a6027d47da0f48cc6fc2def43856523e83b108d51814&ipo=images

I practice the Okinawan crane form ... and the heron form , both use the stance a lot . But moreso, in all practice it is THE stance , the main one .  ( I like to let that sink in and watch the scoffing looks  :)  ) .

Oue teacher,  Mr. N. moved in away you could see that ; if he was advancing or retreating with a technique (other than just toe to toe and slogging it out )  his moves where very snappy and core / hip generated ; his core muscles would 'whip' driving whatever hip forward and the back or rear foot  would flick into and near the other foot and either  then continue to step forward, or back, to the side or perhaps a kick .. and in all that there is a moment where all power all connectivity all balance is on one foot  ( we tend to step the foot up and down, not slide over the floor .... anyway, I dont train on a smooth floor , but outside and sometimes over rough terrain  and obstacles . )  If any one disputes this I add ; 'Well how ya gonna kick when NOT in a one leg stance ? '  Flying or double flick kicks excluded .

Connecting to sky and heaven can be as simple as standing upright and turning your attention upward, opening the crown of your head to feel the endless open expanse above. Reach upward and outward with attention and openness, and rest in the connection. A simple prayer asking for a connection to the heavens, to unbounded space, may be supportive. 

Hmmm ... interesting , that seems a bit like 'clear blue sky' visualization ; I teach to  use our 4 elemental  energies in different ways  for sword work , 3rd level , mind and air , the practice is to cultivate 'no mind' and if this is hard to do , just think of 'clear blue sky ' , no other thoughts .

Like gardening connects you to earth, deepen your relationship with the clear open sky. Try sky gazing. Sit quietly and rest the gaze and full attention on the open sky. Great to do this at altitude, if possible, with the sun at your back. Continually bring your mind to rest with the openness of the sky, notice and reconnect whenever you get disconnected. Feel the openness, the spaciousness in your heart/mind and throughout the body. Become the sky. Any distractions that arise simply liberate into the expanse if you leave them be as they are without pushing away or engaging.

I think this is why a lot of indigenous people have a different understanding about the connection between earth and heaven ( in this case the night sky ) they see one as a reflection of the other .  A very large part of their life, for  the Australian Aboriginal for example is spent looking up at the stars , in a clear sky . Two systems emerge there ; a practical survivalist strategy  regarding seasons and celestial movements  but also a complex codified system of initiatory stories/practices  and teachings.

As your connection to the sky gets comfortable, combine the feeling of resting the body fully and deeply in the earth with resting the mind fully open through the crown to the sky as you stand upright. Become aware of you, the spaciousness in the center of your heart that is clear and alert, the center of your being, this experience of being human, connecting heaven and earth. 

Rest there as long as it remains fresh.

Breath naturally.

You could also practice this sitting but there is a special aspect to standing. You can add postures and movement, bringing this connection to Heaven and Earth to every aspect of life. Something I play with often, fwiw.

Good luck in your practice.

🙏🏼

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

" What good is the one-legged stance ? " many have asked .

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.HpqU3UaUT-RrD6vcCohvZQAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=375845de83aad2c9cf87a6027d47da0f48cc6fc2def43856523e83b108d51814&ipo=images

Standing on one leg, for sure, it will support the whole body weight. It will strengthen the muscles of the leg with the practice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nungali said:

I have a one legged stance    little 'seminar' that I do .  " What good is the one-legged stance ? " many have asked .

I practice the Okinawan crane form ... and the heron form , both use the stance a lot . But moreso, in all practice it is THE stance , the main one .  ( I like to let that sink in and watch the scoffing looks  :)  ) .

Oue teacher,  Mr. N. moved in away you could see that ; if he was advancing or retreating with a technique (other than just toe to toe and slogging it out )  his moves where very snappy and core / hip generated ; his core muscles would 'whip' driving whatever hip forward and the back or rear foot  would flick into and near the other foot and either  then continue to step forward, or back, to the side or perhaps a kick .. and in all that there is a moment where all power all connectivity all balance is on one foot  ( we tend to step the foot up and down, not slide over the floor .... anyway, I dont train on a smooth floor , but outside and sometimes over rough terrain  and obstacles . )  If any one disputes this I add ; 'Well how ya gonna kick when NOT in a one leg stance ? '  Flying or double flick kicks excluded .

I have spent quite a bit of time with single leg stances, mostly in the context of bagua training but also martial qigong and taijiquan.

I can relate to the power generation you describe.

Hmmm ... interesting , that seems a bit like 'clear blue sky' visualization ;

When actually sky-gazing there is no need for visualization, just look. But yes, a bit like it for sure.

I teach to  use our 4 elemental  energies in different ways  for sword work , 3rd level , mind and air , the practice is to cultivate 'no mind' and if this is hard to do , just think of 'clear blue sky ' , no other thoughts .

I bring the elements into kata practice with and without weapons. Great way to explore different possibilities.

I think this is why a lot of indigenous people have a different understanding about the connection between earth and heaven ( in this case the night sky ) they see one as a reflection of the other .  A very large part of their life, for  the Australian Aboriginal for example is spent looking up at the stars , in a clear sky . Two systems emerge there ; a practical survivalist strategy  regarding seasons and celestial movements  but also a complex codified system of initiatory stories/practices  and teachings.

Very powerful and beautiful medicine that us city dwellers have lost touch with. This is one of the things that attracts me so much to Bön.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve said:

I have spent quite a bit of time with single leg stances, mostly in the context of bagua training but also martial qigong and taijiquan.

I can relate to the power generation you describe.

When actually sky-gazing there is no need for visualization, just look. But yes, a bit like it for sure.

I bring the elements into kata practice with and without weapons. Great way to explore different possibilities.

Very powerful and beautiful medicine that us city dwellers have lost touch with. This is one of the things that attracts me so much to Bön.

Another interesting extension of this is the magical 'weapons' ( in western tradition * * ) comparing their symbolism with the martial weapons and their use  - I am not sure how that would apply in other traditions [ eg  to a Dorje ( 'wand' and 'staff' magically , '?  the  .....* martially ? ),   Phurba ( dagger  ? ) and a seven piece 'Demon Queller Set '  (  ?  ) . ]

* I forgot its name ; its a small shaft just wider than the  palm , that is gripped in the palm and has a flair or a ball on each end .

Spoiler

The 10 Sephiroth

• 1 Kether: Swastika or Fylfat Cross, Crown
  • 2 Chokmah: Lingam, the Inner Robe of Glory
  • 3 Binah: Yoni, the Outer Robe of Concealment
  • 4 Chesed: The Wand, Sceptre, or Crook
  • 5 Geburah: The Sword, Spear, Scourge or Chain
  • 6 Tiphareth: The Lamen or Rosy Cross
  • 7 Netzach: The Lamp and Girdle
  • 8 Hod: The Names and Versicles and Apron
  • 9 Yesod: The Perfumes and Sandals
  • 10 Malkuth: The Magical Circle and Triangle
[edit]

The 22 Paths

[edit]

The Elements

• 11 Aleph (Air): The Dagger or Fan
  • 23 Mem (Water): The Cup and Cross of Suffering, the Wine
  • 31 Shin (Fire): The Wand or Lamp, Pyramid of Fire
  • 32-bis (Earth): The Pantacle or Salt
  • 31-bis (Spirit): —
[edit]

The Planets

• 12 Beth (Mercury): The Wand or Caduceus
  • 13 Gimel (Luna): Bow and Arrow
  • 14 Daleth (Venus): The Girdle
  • 21 Kaph (Jupiter): The Sceptre
  • 27 (Mars): The Sword
  • 30 Resh (Sol): The Lamen or Bow and Arrow
  • 32 Tau (Saturn): A Sickle
[edit]

The Zodiac

• 15 (Aries): The Horns, Energy, the Burin
  • 16 Vau (Taurus): The Labour of Preparation
  • 17 Zain (Gemini): The Tripod
  • 18 Cheth (Cancer): The Furnace
  • 19 Teth (Leo): The Discipline (Preliminary)
  • 20 Yod (Virgo): The Lamp and Wand (Virile Force reserved), the Bread
  • 22 Lamed (Libra): The Cross of Equilibrium
  • 24 Nun (Scorpio): The Pain of the Obligation
  • 25 Samekh (Sagittarius): The Arrow (swift and straight application of Force)
  • 26 Ayin (Capricorn): The Secret Force, Lamp
  • 28 Tzaddi (Aquarius): The Censer or Aspergillus
  • 29 Qoph (Pisces): The Twilight of the Place and Magic Mirror

Some other systems :  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_magical_weapons

and one of my favourite  - a Sikh Altar in a Sikh Temple  ;)    :

image.png.b80a1bd889e0e0fd76e7175ff9f4bebb.png

image.png.de963ea8001c78e3a57c09ef2cd9f3f5.png

On 29/01/2023 at 6:55 PM, steve said:

I don't think or speak too much about absorbing energy 

Thanks, I agree that my choice of words was not accurate. Connect would have been much better, how much is that recognised in the qigong world, I wonder. Even the good books (I'm thinking Damo Mitchell) seem to lead me astray sometimes. Probably a case of mea culpa, though!