it took me 2 months to draw this.

inspired by Cliff Barber

Edited by dino

1 minute ago, Brad M said:

really cool.  How big is it; what did u use to do it. 

68 cm, compass,red coloring pencil(maybe 3of them), gold pen,0.05 mm marker and a big ruler

• Like 1

HEY !    You made a mistake , coloured a shape that you should not have  @ around 11: 30 , 16 rows in .

:D  

Nah .

ITS  GREAT ! Especially pleased to read it was not done on a computer .... and   the time you spent on it .   It reminded me of  some of the stuff I did the same way .  Drawing up grids, connecting lines  ( lets leave out all the mistakes and blunders ..... 'Oh NOOOOO , that bit was supposed to be yellow ! '  ) , intricate measurements , multiple colours  ( poster paint - guache )  and then the signs and sigils drawn in .

1 ( the major piece ) probably took me about  2 months .... I estimated about 90 hrs work , on a square grid .

2 (  multiple works ) , more like yours above - 'mandalas '

Maybe you would like to try it .... you seem to have the patience and skill .

1.  was ;   I painted a series of 'Enochian tablets ' . It involved drawing up a large grid ( tricky enough ) , the line work , the selection of colours relating to an hermetic formulae, then the lettering on top .   4 times ( as there are 4 charts or 'tablets' ) and one smaller one .

Each tablet  represents an element  and the forces at play within it ( sub-elemental , eg fire of fire  , air of fire , etc -   Kabbalistic, astrological, numerological, etc . represented by  form , pattern and relationship to each other . The letters are from Enochian (angelic )  language . Energies can be 'unlocked'  (or if you like 'angels can be communicated with ' ) by vibrating the letters vocally into strings of sound by combining various pathways that show the letters .

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3elt5ptbqvHoC07A_238

This is the central smaller tablet of spirit , each square can be considered a truncated pyramid ,  sort of like a key on a keyboard . So each letter on a square can sort of 'toggle' in each direction.

There are many different styles, mine was based on this one ;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT517qC-_fePbLXpox-SeU

Air tablet ( mostly yellow )  top left is air of air , top right, water of air , etc

The other tablets have  varied colour depending on what element  it is .  It was certainly an exercise in accuracy and patience !

or you might find this more interesting - magic squares ; you select  a magic square, draw up a square grid, observe its numerical sequence then draw a line from 1 to 2 to 3 etc  to the highest number . Then rotate the resulting pattern on itself ( usually only once, say at 90 or 180 deg for higher numbers  or maybe 3 times ,  90, 180,  270 for  lower numbers ). Then the shapes made can be coloured in , as you did above in your design . An hermetic colour scheme can be used for this as well . If you chose,  say , square of 5, that represents Mars, so the colour scheme would be based on those colours.

Eg

mars_magic_square.png

Mars , 5 .  Magic square of Mars ; 5 x 5 = 25 . Numbers 1 to 25 are  put on grid in 'order'  ( to see that order or the 'magic' - actually 'maths'   -    add up the numbers in any line or column and compare totals  ) .

Then draw a line   from 1 to . 2 to 3 to ....  25   ( You would realise this ; it has to be accurate , the points you use need to be the same throughout , either the exact centre of the square or offset the grid on your page and use , say, the top left point of each square . )

What used to be done was ; a spirit or energy of a planet had a name , that name would have  each letter value as a number , then the numbers of that name linked on the grid to form the sigil of that planetary spirit .

tumblr_n7ionmmWLs1rtyvzdo1_500.jpg

But this is different, a newer system that creates a 'mandala' of a planet or spirit.  Eg . here is the process done with  square of 4 - Jupiter

web-MANIFESTOR_MSQ4x4_StockCard_Medium_M

- I credit Jain with this system as he was the person that showed it to me .

The results an be pretty good ( although Jain does not use hermetic colour schemes )  ;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQG4HFZegVQk3EKrVb5sYM

I find the bottom left one fascinating ; 8 x 8 - Mercury , made by Ben Franklin ( who could   pretty much make them up as went along , 'doodling' ) - its internal mathematics are fascinating  . Its not rotated , thats how it comes out , with the twin pillars of Gemini twins, the sign that Mercury rules .

Ben's square of 8  - join the dots  ;) 

FranklinMagicSquare_1000.svg

if you want to go down this wormhole ;

http://recmath.org/Magic Squares/franklin.htm

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

That is a stunning piece @dino!

Thank you for sharing.

I've long been drawn to sacred geometry... pun intended :P  It always elicits strong resonance in awareness and i used to adore spending long hours, days n nights losing my self in the sketching, arranging and discovering of patterns within patterns.  Reminiscent of Indra's Net and the Druidic concept of "the All in All".  Resonant visual homage of the inherent and utter interconnectedness underlying all that is (and is not)

That piece is wonderful, ambitious and very impressive.  Curious if have you displayed any more of your work where we might see it?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, silent thunder said:

That is a stunning piece @dino!

Thank you for sharing.

I've long been drawn to sacred geometry... pun intended :P  It always elicits strong resonance in awareness and i used to adore spending long hours, days n nights losing my self in the sketching, arranging and discovering of patterns within patterns.  Reminiscent of Indra's Net and the Druidic concept of "the All in All".  Resonant visual homage of the inherent and utter interconnectedness underlying all that is (and is not)

That piece is wonderful, ambitious and very impressive.  Curious if have you displayed any more of your work where we might see it?

thanks .other previous work is just practice to perfect it,i  didnt scan it .maybe this one,the lines go out to the end (click the picture for full version)

Edited by dino
  • Like 1

The oldest known source of the text is the Sirr al-khalīqa wa-ṣanʿat al-ṭabīʿa (The Secret of Creation and the Art of Nature, also known as the Kitāb al-ʿilal or The Book of Causes), an encyclopedic work on natural philosophy falsely attributed to Apollonius of Tyana In the frame story of the Sirr al-khalīqa, Balīnūs tells his readers that he discovered the text in a vault below a statue of Hermes in Tyana, and that, inside the vault, an old corpse on a golden throne held the emerald tablet.

True it is, without falsehood, certain and most true.
That which is above is like to that which is below,

and that which is below is like to that which is above,
to accomplish the miracles of one thing.
And as all things were by contemplation of one,

so all things arose from this one thing by a single act of adaptation.
The father thereof is the Sun, the mother the Moon.
The wind carried it in its womb, the earth is the nurse thereof.
It is the father of all works of wonder throughout the whole world.
The power thereof is perfect.
If it be cast on to earth, it will separate the element of earth from that of fire,

the subtle from the gross.
With great sagacity it doth ascend gently from earth to heaven. Again it doth descend to earth,
and uniteth in itself the force from things superior and things inferior.
Thus thou wilt possess the glory of the brightness of the whole world,

and all obscurity will fly far from thee.
This thing is the strong fortitude of all strength,
for it overcometh every subtle thing and doth penetrate every solid substance.
Thus was this world created.
Hence will there be marvellous adaptations achieved, of which the manner is this.
For this reason I am called Hermes Trismegistus,

because I hold three parts of the wisdom of the whole world.
That which I had to say about the operation of Sol is completed.

288460172-1688319268172395-7863300157219