-_sometimes

Very dry eyes

I've been suffering from increasingly dry eyes lately, which is becoming a cause of significant discomfort. Perhaps some of you familiar with TCM might be able to point me in the right direction :) 

I've always had issues with dry eyes, as diagnosed by my optician, but it's gotten a great deal worse lately. Tear drops to no avail, my eyes no longer feel lubricated when closing them for a period. I can feel the uncomfortable dryness when I meditate and even when going to sleep, which has never happened until yesterday. If I try to study for extended periods, my eyes become so dry I can't think straight and feel very tired. It is much worse in the evening.

From what I've read, the TCM perspective on dry eyes is due to an imbalance of the kidneys and/or the liver. I have a very good diet, consisting of vegetables, beans, nuts, some meat and fish, dairy and fruit, which I follow with 95% diligence. Thus I don't think my diet is the issue. I sleep fairly regular hours, varying from 22:30-23:30, waking up around 7-9. 

It is worth noting that the symptoms have gotten increasingly worse since moving into a new apartment, where the air quality was so poor I would wake up congested, sneezing and feeling an allergen-like reaction to something. This was resolved (partially, as I've had issues with nasal congestion or constant runny nose for most of my life, which might be described as a constant underlying allergic reaction to an unidentified source) once I installed an air purifier, but these devices can apparently dry out the air, which might not be helping my situation. This could be a coincidence though, as I suffer the same level of dry eye even with the air purifier off for a few days.

Thank you all!

Edited by -_sometimes

1 hour ago, -_sometimes said:

if I try to study for extended periods, my eyes become so dry I can't think straight and feel very tired.

that is your problem. its the other way around. you wear yourself out so your eyes dry up.

Just now, Taoist Texts said:

that is your problem. its the other way around. you wear yourself out so your eyes dry up.

Now I note that I studied for 1h 30 min this morning, and the dry eyes began to occur around the 1 hour mark. I feel it's unreasonable to consider my eyes worn out after such a short period. Also I can take a 2 hour break in the evening to prepare and have my evening meal, and when I come back to study, the dry eyes are even worse.

I feel the hypothesis that wearing myself out is the cause isn't really it, for the above reasons.

Have a look at the earth clinic website, they always have lots of tried and tested creative suggestions. Using castor oil is very effective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 三江源 said:

Have a look at the earth clinic website, they always have lots of tried and tested creative suggestions. Using castor oil is very effective.

There are indeed a ton of suggestions I will give them a try! Thank you!

You’re welcome. It’s a matter of finding the ones that work particularly for you. 

a hydration tablet in your water can help your body to hold onto liquid  more efficiently, and a few fish oil capsules a day also really helps keep lubricated. 

• Like 1