Sign in to follow this  
old3bob

will a hungry shark fall for this!

I loved watching these guys fly around, such big, ungainly looking birds yet graceful gliders they truly are!

• Like 1

saw lots of these guys and also whales in the ocean but not as close as in this video.  Dolphin's keep the sharks away!

Once on a dive in a boat based in Bonaire everyone was excited as the Dolphins began following the boat and everyone rushed to jump in the water. I was the last in, but also the only one wearing fins.

It was sandy bottom in all directions, and pretty bleak until I encountered a seahorse in the wild!

A better result I could not expect!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, old3bob said:

Velzyland, not far from Sunset beach was my favorite spot since I lived only about 100 yards from it.  It was a nice, smaller right that matched my skill level.  It had a forgiving channel on one side, but a nasty inside reef on the other side that could cut you up after a wipeout.  Btw.  I remember seeing Eddie Aikau ripping  Sunset beach at near close out size into long, fast and beautiful shreds like no one else could and also Jerry Lopez do his precision art work at Pipeline!  (did you see those guys surf?)  I surfed pipeline a little bit backside when it was smaller and boy what a rocket ride it was!  Waimea bay almost killed me (the dumb kid from Calif.) when it more or less closed out around 25-30 feet after starting out for the day at around 15-17" with me surfing what shoulders I could  because of my limited experience,  on that day I just barely made it over its mountainous waves and got outside beyond the break-line with another guy,  after which we had to wait a very long time before we could safely make it back inside and to shore.... 

Saw them on tv.

I almost died at waimea bay also, it was closed out but we went in anyway. I was with a guy who assured me he was a super lifeguard and it was ok. But he was too scared to go in after me and if the wave didn't puke me out I'd be dead. Been lots of close calls over the years but that was closest.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, old3bob said:

I loved watching these guys fly around, such big, ungainly looking birds yet graceful gliders they truly are!

Pelicans are a trash bird in mexico. We no have in hawaii, nor gulls. Glad.

Frigate birds, tropic birds.

42 minutes ago, terry said:

Pelicans are a trash bird in mexico. We no have in hawaii, nor gulls. Glad.

Frigate birds, tropic birds.

I'm not a fan of dive bombing and pooping gulls...

13 hours ago, old3bob said:

I like watching them land on water  :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, natural said:

Once on a dive in a boat based in Bonaire everyone was excited as the Dolphins began following the boat and everyone rushed to jump in the water. I was the last in, but also the only one wearing fins.

It was sandy bottom in all directions, and pretty bleak until I encountered a seahorse in the wild!

A better result I could not expect!

Well .... I was on a boat and dolphins where surfing the wake .  I jumped on one's back and called out 'Throw me a rope ! "

And I water skied on the dolphin all the way back to the marina ! 

fat-happy-man-pleased-himself-proper-nutrition-weight-loss-131695038.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, terry said:

Saw them on tv.

I almost died at waimea bay also, it was closed out but we went in anyway. I was with a guy who assured me he was a super lifeguard and it was ok. But he was too scared to go in after me and if the wave didn't puke me out I'd be dead. Been lots of close calls over the years but that was closest.

I remeber one day I am riding my motorcycle to work and 3 km before  Cronulla, over the last big hill before you can see the ocean was .... fog ? !   At that time of day . Iget into the shopping centre and its THICK , everything smells of salt .  I go to the Post Office where I worked as express parcel deliverer (  get off my Triumph Bonneville and onto  a Honda 90 :D ) and its empty ! Where is every one ?

One girl there goes ' Looking at the surf, the Point is pumping .  That mist was sea spray , I hoped on a Honda and putted down there . HUGE never seen it like that , the break went from the point, across three beaches all the way half way across Bate Bay .

No way I am going out in that . But 3 guys where out there . One got mashed ... and recovered ... just, had to get helped out at the rocks .  One bailed and took refuge on the lee of Shark Island  (my old spear fishing spot )  Anothe did a beutiful smooth ride and got out 3 beaches away ! :D

THEN this old guy jumps in, no board , swim fins and a hand plane ! - remember them, for body surfing  ?    What  swim out he had !  he actually caught a wave and surfed it , took a dive at the bottom, survived called it quits after one and came in via wash to the rocks , to a huge applaud of half the  town on the point watching .  Not much mail got delivered that day .

These look tiny compared to that day ;

Bate  Bay and Cronulla point ( far left )

bate-bay-sydney-aerial-view-of-bate-bay-

bat

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nungali said:

Well .... I was on a boat and dolphins where surfing the wake .  I jumped on one's back and called out 'Throw me a rope ! "

And I water skied on the dolphin all the way back to the marina ! 

fat-happy-man-pleased-himself-proper-nutrition-weight-loss-131695038.jpg

Well, I once was surrounded by flying fish while floating calmly on my back, yes, they were all around me as well as above me and as far as I could tell below me!

Yup, there were a lot of lessons that day as they truly schooled me!

Buy away I have ocean property for sale in Arizona!

18 hours ago, Nungali said:

I remeber one day I am riding my motorcycle to work and 3 km before  Cronulla, over the last big hill before you can see the ocean was .... fog ? !   At that time of day . Iget into the shopping centre and its THICK , everything smells of salt .  I go to the Post Office where I worked as express parcel deliverer (  get off my Triumph Bonneville and onto  a Honda 90 :D ) and its empty ! Where is every one ?

One girl there goes ' Looking at the surf, the Point is pumping .  That mist was sea spray , I hoped on a Honda and putted down there . HUGE never seen it like that , the break went from the point, across three beaches all the way half way across Bate Bay .

No way I am going out in that . But 3 guys where out there . One got mashed ... and recovered ... just, had to get helped out at the rocks .  One bailed and took refuge on the lee of Shark Island  (my old spear fishing spot )  Anothe did a beutiful smooth ride and got out 3 beaches away ! :D

THEN this old guy jumps in, no board , swim fins and a hand plane ! - remember them, for body surfing  ?    What  swim out he had !  he actually caught a wave and surfed it , took a dive at the bottom, survived called it quits after one and came in via wash to the rocks , to a huge applaud of half the  town on the point watching .  Not much mail got delivered that day .

These look tiny compared to that day ;

ate  Bay and Cronulla point ( far left )

that was a very hairy looking day from the pictures!!

I have heard that traditionally  ( 'before whitefellah ' ) some Aboriginal people used to keep Pelican's as a pet . I am assuming they where coastal people who did not have dingo.  They would  get them when young and apparently the adults would still return to feed them .

Then .... after that I am not sure  ... they might have been dinner  ?

Hmmm reminds me of  joke , I better put it in laugh thread .

For me, I did a lot of body surfing , snorkelling  and lounging around the beach ... with NO ONE anywhere about .  In paradise !   

I know one is supposed to go at least two up , but  .... meh !  I'd take off  alone ... a board is too big and heavy , a face mask and snorkel can fit in a  backpack and I would be off .... lone adventurer  along the 'coastal track' ;    Coastal 'moors '  ( Aussie style ) on the ridges of the rolling hills  that run   perpendicular to the coast ; beautiful low scrubby vegetation that bursts into a variety of wild flowers in winter , where they meet the coast are spectacular sandstone cliffs, then the track would descend down to a gully, a cove, usually a creek, so some fresh water , or a larger area with a beach .... then up, along coastal cliffs, back down, another beach, and so on. I'd do it for days .

Ferry from Cronulla, across Port hacking to Bundeena /  Jibbon beach , which is in The Royal National Park, and you're there !

1422584615406.jpg

jibbon-beach-loop-track.jpg       jibbon-loop-track-map.jpg

And camp there ... next day . you're off !

RNP-Coast-Track-Map-N_web.jpg

RNP-Coast-Track-Map-S_web.jpg

eyJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJy           royal-national-park-coastal-track-3.jpg

• Like 1

Watamolla  Good swimming 'hole'  and diving  spot (off the cliff)  and beach ;

DSC05971.JPG

Looking east from the cliff ;

sydney-wildlife-day-tours.jpg

Then it was up over the next ridge and down into the gully of   littoral rainforest and 'MY" spot   a little cove at  Curracarong .  Man what a spot !  Tiny sand beach  in a little cove ( or no sand and rocks if there had been storms ) ,  going out to cliffs , a sea  ledge nearby where you could spear fish  ( I had a three part hand spear you could screw together ). A beutiful crystal creek for water . Yu go up creek just a little, great camp site, native grass , various trees that are bent over and twisted from coastal weather ... just right ti fit a small tent under . nearby is a cave , in case  of storms  ... man that cave !  Its small , I slept in it one night  ... the things that happened ! Talk about ancient energy , it seemed to be half filed with a midden  - years later I find its an ancient important canmpsite in there that archaeologists have begun to investigate .  A bit further up creek a beautiful pristine swimming hole with a  square flat rock near the middle that you can sleep on .   Like a 'pontoon' . Behind that is a waterfall that has braided through the rocks and  in spaces behind that are little hollows and caves  and the whole thing is covered with moss, lichens , rare orchids and native carnivorous plants, sundews, etc .   on dusk I or we ( sometimes I would do a trip with someone for a day or two and just go to this place only, the long way around ... LONG way,  you can drive in  ,   park and walk for 1/2 hr to get there ) would put lit candles in the hoolws behind the falling water and illuminate the whole waterfall from the inside    :) 

Curracurrang;

2g9w511.jpg

But yes, sometimes taking a companion can be just as much as fun ;

CURRACURRANG+FALLSsils

Oh !  I just had a memory . I am camped out on the flat rock with GF . I had this little 3 candle 'candelabra' thing on a stand that screwed apart , so that was set up , I had made some exotic food at home and bought that, with a few nice  utensils ... and a champagne bucket with a bottle of champy .. having a romantic candle light dinner ... and this hiker comes slogging through the bush  after dusk and  :o

The look on his face !     " What are yas doin out here in the middle of nowhere having a  ...   ??? 

:D

Anyways ... I cant stop now ... I am going to continue south , next stop nearby is up the next ridge  and the top of the cliffs , where, the moors drain, not down a gully to a creek but a creek that flows off the cliff top in a high waterfall . Known for the winds that push the waterfall back up the cliff and back into the creek at the top . 

Curracurrong ;

Curracurrong+Falls+Sydney+Royal+National

Its actually a great place for a shower on a hot day  :)

• Like 1

... and then onwards , up hill, over moor, down into  little gullies with creeks waterholes and littoral rain forest  ( I luv cabbage palm forests :)  that grow around these pristine creeks )

6D2A1349.jpg?format=1500w

or bigger  coves with beaches like

Garie beach

3538639568_1dc35a8d94_b.jpg

'Burning Palms '  ;

IMG_20180422_120221.jpg

and all the way to  'Stanwell Park '  ... where the National Park ends

stanwelltops01aa.jpg

From there the rest is best done by motorcycle , a road cut into the cliffs (and another string of little beach towns ) ... check that road bridge in the distance ....  peeps be riding down from Sydney just to blast across it :)

This is all my home stamping ground  :)

What a beautiful planet we live on :)

Booglebar ( thankyou ) 'Big Mum' .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Watamolla  Good swimming 'hole'  and diving  spot (off the cliff)  and beach ;

DSC05971.JPG

Looking east from the cliff ;

sydney-wildlife-day-tours.jpg

Then it was up over the next ridge and down into the gully of   littoral rainforest and 'MY" spot   a little cove at  Curracarong .  Man what a spot !  Tiny sand beach  in a little cove ( or no sand and rocks if there had been storms ) ,  going out to cliffs , a sea  ledge nearby where you could spear fish  ( I had a three part hand spear you could screw together ). A beutiful crystal creek for water . Yu go up creek just a little, great camp site, native grass , various trees that are bent over and twisted from coastal weather ... just right ti fit a small tent under . nearby is a cave , in case  of storms  ... man that cave !  Its small , I slept in it one night  ... the things that happened ! Talk about ancient energy , it seemed to be half filed with a midden  - years later I find its an ancient important canmpsite in there that archaeologists have begun to investigate .  A bit further up creek a beautiful pristine swimming hole with a  square flat rock near the middle that you can sleep on .   Like a 'pontoon' . Behind that is a waterfall that has braided through the rocks and  in spaces behind that are little hollows and caves  and the whole thing is covered with moss, lichens , rare orchids and native carnivorous plants, sundews, etc .   on dusk I or we ( sometimes I would do a trip with someone for a day or two and just go to this place only, the long way around ... LONG way,  you can drive in  ,   park and walk for 1/2 hr to get there ) would put lit candles in the hoolws behind the falling water and illuminate the whole waterfall from the inside    :) 

Curracurrang;

2g9w511.jpg

But yes, sometimes taking a companion can be just as much as fun ;

CURRACURRANG+FALLSsils

Oh !  I just had a memory . I am camped out on the flat rock with GF . I had this little 3 candle 'candelabra' thing on a stand that screwed apart , so that was set up , I had made some exotic food at home and bought that, with a few nice  utensils ... and a champagne bucket with a bottle of champy .. having a romantic candle light dinner ... and this hiker comes slogging through the bush  after dusk and  :o

The look on his face !     " What are yas doin out here in the middle of nowhere having a  ...   ??? 

Anyways ... I cant stop now ... I am going to continue south , next stop nearby is up the next ridge  and the top of the cliffs , where, the moors drain, not down a gully to a creek but a creek that flows off the cliff top in a high waterfall . Known for the winds that push the waterfall back up the cliff and back into the creek at the top . 

Curracurrong ;

Curracurrong+Falls+Sydney+Royal+National

Its actually a great place for a shower on a hot day  :)

Very cool,  not that many places like that for most people...

On 26/8/2022 at 6:09 PM, terry said:

never actually heard of a diver getting bit in 35 years here

You didn't state your location but in Australia there have been instances of shark attacks on divers (including fatalities):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/329895013_Fatal_shark_attacks_on_divers_in_Australia_1960-2017

Also check this global stat excel file:

https://www.sharkattackfile.net/spreadsheets/GSAF5.xls

Japan, Bahamas, Mexico, Galapagos (Ecuador), etc. locations where divers have suffered from a shark attack. 

Edited by Gerard

On 8/31/2022 at 12:03 AM, Gerard said:

You didn't state your location but in Australia there have been instances of shark attacks on divers (including fatalities):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/329895013_Fatal_shark_attacks_on_divers_in_Australia_1960-2017

Also check this global stat excel file:

https://www.sharkattackfile.net/spreadsheets/GSAF5.xls

Japan, Bahamas, Mexico, Galapagos (Ecuador), etc. locations where divers have suffered from a shark attack. 

hawaii...

sharks behave differently in different waters...

maybe they bite people who don't have aloha

So, they eat ,trash, half dogs with leads , tin cans and rolls of carpet

but not Hawaiians  ? 

Sign in to follow this