Sign in to follow this  
old3bob

will a hungry shark fall for this!

Sure .... if you see a friendly shark in the distance ... its best not to flee .

But most victims dont see nothing ... and it isnt a shark trailing along behind them like that .  It hits you like a freight train out of nowhere ... jaws first , coming in one 'blind angle'  , you would not even see it coming .

Not always of course , we have seen film of people fighting them off .     A shark was caught that was following an ocean liner , inside it they found all sorts of rubbish that had been thrown overboard plus half a divers swim fin, the front end of a dog, with collar and lead and a large roll of old carpet . Something that vacuums up anything like that one isnt going to be 'de persuaded' ....

Unless of course , when it attacks , you just stick your hand out near its mouth and gently guide it down and away  .... 

Just like you should do when a funnel web spider attacks 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_tPapha7CfMU7shHve6B

just tickle him on the underside in the middle of his belly  - they like that .

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

Sure .... if you see a friendly shark in the distance ... its best not to flee .

But most victims dont see nothing ... and it isnt a shark trailing along behind them like that .  It hits you like a freight train out of nowhere ... jaws first , coming in one 'blind angle'  , you would not even see it coming .

Not always of course , we have seen film of people fighting them off .     A shark was caught that was following an ocean liner , inside it they found all sorts of rubbish that had been thrown overboard plus half a divers swim fin, the front end of a dog, with collar and lead and a large roll of old carpet . Something that vacuums up anything like that one isnt going to be 'de persuaded' ....

Unless of course , when it attacks , you just stick your hand out near its mouth and gently guide it down and away  .... 

Just like you should do when a funnel web spider attacks 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_tPapha7CfMU7shHve6B

just tickle him on the underside in the middle of his belly  - they like that .

for those that would take that spider advice seriously, don't

• Like 1

and dont try to push a shark away by pushing down on its nose . If you are going to touch a 'friendly shark' keep away from the pointy , razor sharp bits folks !

If it aint friendly and getting too curious  - yes there is a difference between friendly curious and 'can I eat this curious' but its VERY subtle difference -   RAM THE FUCKER right on the end of its nose, or one of its eyes , as hard as you can ... with something ( which you SHOULD have taken with you if diving , even a camera , ideally the back end of a huge diving knife , which you should have strapped to your leg, I never went diving without one and dont cut ANYTHING, including yourself  and get blood in the water !  ... not your hand ...best to have a 'shark bat',   the desperate have used a fist . Like many opportunistic predators, they run off at a slight threat to them...if they have been originally indecisive .

7 hours ago, Nungali said:

If it aint friendly and getting too curious  - yes there is a difference between friendly curious and 'can I eat this curious' but its VERY subtle difference -   RAM THE FUCKER right on the end of its nose, or one of its eyes , as hard as you can 

you have had so much experience with sharks that you can detect subtle differences between friendly curious and hungry sharks?

lol...

there aren't any friendly or curious sharks, they are way too stupid (or too smart)...

if you can see them they are not dangerous, at least not in hawaiian waters

they don't hunt during the day and prefer murky water and blood smells

I have actually confronted sharks in the ocean...divers do not look or smell like prey and are generally safe, it's surfers and swimmers that are slightly at risk due to shark stupidity and reflexes...never actually heard of a diver getting bit in 35 years here...spear fisherman and free divers may carry shark repellent and bang sticks, but never hardly use them...sharks might steal your catch but that's all...

new a man once had fingers bit off by a moray eel...used to be a karate instructor on kauai...eel was in his creel after his catch and he stuck his hand in and got bit, accidental on both sides...

36 minutes ago, terry said:

you have had so much experience with sharks that you can detect subtle differences between friendly curious and hungry sharks?

lol...

there aren't any friendly or curious sharks, they are way too stupid (or too smart)...

I have actually confronted sharks in the ocean...divers do not look or smell like prey and are generally safe, it's surfers and swimmers that are slightly at risk due to shark stupidity and reflexes...never actually heard of a diver getting bit in 35 years here...spear fisherman and free divers may carry shark repellent and bang sticks, but never hardly use them...sharks might steal your catch but that's all...

new a man once had fingers bit off by a moray eel...used to be a karate instructor on kauai...eel was in his creel after his catch and he stuck his hand in and got bit, accidental on both sides...

I did a lot of surfing by a rocky reef area in southern Calif. and always feared getting bit by an eel if my board got away from me and I had to walk over submerged rocks where they lived while retrieving my board,  btw. that was way back in the days before surfers were using the rubber tubing leash's on their boards.   

During my long ago sojourn on Oahu I remember there being lots of sharks around Makaha,  probably still is.  Btw. that could be a kind of crazy place to surf sometimes because one  had to weave in and out to miss the coral heads sticking out of the wave troughs.  I never saw sharks on the North Shore except for small ones but I image there were some big ones gliding around for a meal...

Edited by old3bob

5 hours ago, terry said:

lol...

Come on now ...

Friendly shark ... the are easy to detect . I have been diving with them at a 'feeding station' off the Western Australian coast . Everyone was 'friendly' in that location .  And dont tell me you never seen divers feeding sharks ?   Nose bang has been around since I was a kid.

Any other shark is potentially LESS friendly .  And no, I have never been hassled by a shark diving , but kept out the water when I seen fins about from the shore .

Bes, more surfers get taken here .   One time , on a a dark overcast day , I saw fins cutting towards me in the distance ... weird looking big fins !  They where not dolphins and didnt look like sharks, they had the shapes of crescent moons . The I saw a patch of white , it is hard to get a distant view from surface height .  I assumed of was a pod of killer whales  , so  I left the water .

maybe they would not have hared me but I decided in black rubber suit with fins  I THOUGHT I looked like a seal .   They swam right through the gap where I was between coastal rocks and the shore .    Maybe it would have been a great experience .... but the foreboding weather and the site of those eerie fins was enough  for me to leg it .

• Like 1

Anyway , prefer to dive with these guys . I struck it lucky, a clear day , clear water , a shallow bank and along comes a bunch of them !

Z3WhFhlQ.thumb.jpeg.2752c47ac5675b68d48684ab23c76abd.jpeg

0u3fIikA.jpeg

• Like 2

eels, kind of like the badger of ocean reefs, stay away from them and they will probably stay away from you.

eel.jpg.jpg.217d91e577ec6478816ca11760efde81.jpg

Edited by old3bob
  • Wow 1

43 minutes ago, old3bob said:

eels, kind of like the badger of ocean reefs, stay away from them and they will probably stay away from you.

eel.jpg.jpg.217d91e577ec6478816ca11760efde81.jpg

That has been my experience.

On a night dive on a wall reef I found it remarkable how many there were whom were mostly if not completely hidden during daylight.

And oh do the coral show off at night!!!

• Like 1

had one of these guys pop up out the water about one foot from my face while paddling out to my favorite surfing spot early in the morning,  we both let out a big yelp of surprise!  Btw they can bite!

seal.jpg.3ddce97290000eba09a20973a871d870.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, old3bob said:

I did a lot of surfing by a rocky reef area in southern Calif. and always feared getting bit by an eel if my board got away from me and I had to walk over submerged rocks where they lived while retrieving my board,  btw. that was way back in the days before surfers were using the rubber tubing leash's on their boards.   

During my long ago sojourn on Oahu I remember there being lots of sharks around Makaha,  probably still is.  Btw. that could be a kind of crazy place to surf sometimes because one  had to weave in and out to miss the coral heads sticking out of the wave troughs.  I never saw sharks on the North Shore except for small ones but I image there were some big ones gliding around for a meal...

There are a lot less sharks around the islands these days than there used to be.

My toothy shepsky puppy (already 70 lbs) I wanted to name "shark" but then if I called her at the beach everyone would run out of the water.

Used to be a place called "sharks hole" on kauai's windward side people dove for sharks. It was down current from an old fish canning factory and the sharks liked it still, it was murky and there were prey. But that was the nineties. Maybe the divers feed them and they are still there.

There was an annual festival at mahukona in kohala back in the fifties and even sixties where they would throw a bleeding cow into the bay and people would gather to luau and watch the action as the sharks ripped the cow to shreds. Good fun! We don't do it anymore. Cows too expensive and not enough sharks. Though the cowboys offered my wife five steers for my puppy, she is a beauty. The dog, that is.

Nowadays longline finners get most of them I think.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, old3bob said:

had one of these guys pop up out the water about one foot from my face while paddling out to my favorite surfing spot early in the morning,  we both let out a big yelp of surprise!  Btw they can bite!

I've seen hawaiian monk seals three or four times over the decades. There's only about 1100 of those.

In hawaii we have what are called aumakua, usually translated as "household gods" but actually it involves the belief that spirit animals embody our ancestors through whom they may speak to us and advise us. As a silversmith I like to make aumakua like owls, surgeon fish, sharks, manta rays, turtles etc there are over twenty. I like to think that my particular spirit animal is the monk seal, as they are fat and often display a big erect penis. I'm not fat and don't have a giant erect penis but it fits my self image.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, natural said:

On a night dive on a wall reef I found it remarkable how many there were whom were mostly if not completely hidden during daylight.

Yeah, the crabs, shrimp and lobsters, like day glo claymation.

Anyway , prefer to dive with these guys . I struck it lucky, a clear day , clear water , a shallow bank and along comes a bunch of them !

Z3WhFhlQ.thumb.jpeg.2752c47ac5675b68d48684ab23c76abd.jpeg

0u3fIikA.jpeg

Manta rays are a big tourist draw off the big island. Regular as the sunrise. Impressively large, like a jet engine.

Come on now ...

Friendly shark ... the are easy to detect . I have been diving with them at a 'feeding station' off the Western Australian coast . Everyone was 'friendly' in that location .  And dont tell me you never seen divers feeding sharks ?   Nose bang has been around since I was a kid.

Any other shark is potentially LESS friendly .  And no, I have never been hassled by a shark diving , but kept out the water when I seen fins about from the shore .

Bes, more surfers get taken here .   One time , on a a dark overcast day , I saw fins cutting towards me in the distance ... weird looking big fins !  They where not dolphins and didnt look like sharks, they had the shapes of crescent moons . The I saw a patch of white , it is hard to get a distant view from surface height .  I assumed of was a pod of killer whales  , so  I left the water .

maybe they would not have hared me but I decided in black rubber suit with fins  I THOUGHT I looked like a seal .   They swam right through the gap where I was between coastal rocks and the shore .    Maybe it would have been a great experience .... but the foreboding weather and the site of those eerie fins was enough  for me to leg it .

If "friendly" means non-threatening then yes there are friendly sharks, just want to sleep under an overhang, pull a fin and they move a couple of feet and go back to sleep. Like a sleepy oversize rat.

I've felt more threatened by territorial big fish. Once had a barricuda (?) make a lot of fast passes and nose butts trying to get me to go away.

12 hours ago, old3bob said:

During my long ago sojourn on Oahu I remember there being lots of sharks around Makaha,  probably still is.  Btw. that could be a kind of crazy place to surf sometimes because one  had to weave in and out to miss the coral heads sticking out of the wave troughs.  I never saw sharks on the North Shore except for small ones but I I image there were some big ones gliding around for a meal...

I used to live in waianae, back in the late sixties, surfed makaha. Seemed like there was plenty of water but even then locals were possessive about "their" waves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, terry said:

If "friendly" means non-threatening then yes there are friendly sharks, just want to sleep under an overhang, pull a fin and they move a couple of feet and go back to sleep. Like a sleepy oversize rat.

I've felt more threatened by territorial big fish. Once had a barricuda (?) make a lot of fast passes and nose butts trying to get me to go away.

Maybe I haven't met enough sharks to feel friendly vibes from them. 

I like to think that all creatures feel related.

Velzyland, not far from Sunset beach was my favorite spot since I lived only about 100 yards from it.  It was a nice, smaller right that matched my skill level.  It had a forgiving channel on one side, but a nasty inside reef on the other side that could cut you up after a wipeout.  Btw.  I remember seeing Eddie Aikau ripping  Sunset beach at near close out size into long, fast and beautiful shreds like no one else could and also Jerry Lopez do his precision art work at Pipeline!  (did you see those guys surf?)  I surfed pipeline a little bit backside when it was smaller and boy what a rocket ride it was!  Waimea bay almost killed me (the dumb kid from Calif.) when it more or less closed out around 25-30 feet after starting out for the day at around 15-17" with me surfing what shoulders I could  because of my limited experience,  on that day I just barely made it over its mountainous waves and got outside beyond the break-line with another guy,  after which we had to wait a very long time before we could safely make it back inside and to shore.... 

Edited by old3bob

12 hours ago, natural said:

I wanna see this ! 

6 hours ago, terry said:

I used to live in waianae, back in the late sixties, surfed makaha. Seemed like there was plenty of water but even then locals were possessive about "their" waves.

Well, I think I can claim the beaches in my home town where the most  ' possessive ' of their waves, beaches and even streets OF THEM ALL  .... to my great shame !   I didnt live there at the time ... but still, thats my 'home ' / childhood, grew up on .... beach  !

Oh .... the shame  !   The shame of it all .   - Those f***ing idiots ! 

r0_0_2000_1337_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Cronulla_riots

6 hours ago, terry said:

Maybe I haven't met enough sharks to feel friendly vibes from them. 

I like to think that all creatures feel related.

Well then ... you must have 'Happy Nappers '  advert then .     :) 

" Little Johnny LOVES his Happy Napper , he plays with him ALLL day , and when he is tired, he just unrolls and snuggles up inside . "

Then we see little Johnny sleeping peacefully   .....     :)

f388dfb5-0e7f-4d06-9211-2606b93f4b01.783

Inside a sharks stomach  with his head sticking out the mouth ! 

:D     

34 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Well then ... you must have 'Happy Nappers '  advert then .     :) 

" Little Johnny LOVES his Happy Napper , he plays with him ALLL day , and when he is tired, he just unrolls and snuggles up inside . "

Then we see little Johnny sleeping peacefully   .....     :)

f388dfb5-0e7f-4d06-9211-2606b93f4b01.783

Inside a sharks stomach  with his head sticking out the mouth ! 

:D     

Seems like Little Johnny ain't the only one happily napping inside a shark.

shark-dog-joke.jpg

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, old3bob said:

... and BOY  does their breath stink up close !  

Sign in to follow this