mcoolio

Disruptive sleep pattern after starting training

Sup y'all.

I always was a bad sleeper, mostly difficulties falling asleep.

Starting around 1 year after I started doing some trainings, qigongs, meditations, ... This changed. (BTW, I train 2-4h a day and this doesn't seem excessive to me since I work only part time 60%) Falling asleep goes more easily but, I always wake up super early. Don't necessarily want to focus on a specific hour, but I can objectively say that most of the time, this is between 3 and 4. After that it is practically impossible to fall asleep again. I don't feel super duper tired, but also not refreshed enough to go a full day.

I have practically given up on staying in bed and trying to fall asleep again. Most of time I train for 1 or 2 hours, have breakfast until somewhere between 5-7 and then sleep until 9-10. This kinda works but gotta admit it would be more practical if I could sleep in one stretch.

Interestingly, if I stop training for a few days, it gets better and I tend to sleep full nights.

Yea, I know some basic TCM. 3h is when qi moves to lung meridian. No longer falling asleep can also indicate heart and/or liver problems (not sure if both or one of the 2, but I know its in the books somewhere). And there's some other stuff that can be explored from the TCM point of view...

But before going deeper into that, I just wanna ask here if people around here have (had) similar problems, esp after they started their training. Or have some idea of whats going on here. Or just anything interesting to share about sleep rhythm as a practitioner that can help me find my way.

mcoolio

Edited by mcoolio

Not to many people having bad sleep here it seems ...

But I had some new ideas yesterday. Or rather, I'am finally able to look in a certain direction I was not willing to look in (to be fair to myself, also because of some outer influences, which perhaps cannot be blamed at the same time).

I might have to focus a bit (a lot) more on the pure physical aspect of the practice.

I used to do a little bit of everything. Body training, neigong, qigong, breathing, meditation. More or less balanced all these aspects. Don't think that is necessarily bad. But in my case it might be.

Because of lot's of body tension esp in the back. I have had injuries and still have. Can't even do any seated practices, neigong, qigong right now. To much tension in back puts more pressure to the front. So my abdominal muscles get sprained. As soon as my breathing lengthens, I can feel that. Plus had some other problems in the head also.

Interestingly enough, I can still do pure body training without breath work. Even the daoist yoga which is very heavy on the abdominals, but purely focusing on the body aspect, again without the breath work.

So for me this is what I will focus on for a while. Basic physical exercises, the foundation, the jibengong. Plus the daoist yoga. And then slowly add in the other stuff.

Edited by mcoolio

Your liver looks swollen.  Perhaps some anger

Some vertebrae out of alignment near kidneys.  Kidneys unhappy, strained.  Grief?

Physical exercises do not do much for relationship issues.

• Like 1

Gotta say, pretty impressive, thanks. And this generates some thoughts.

More frustration instead of anger, but yes, my astrology also strongly indicates wood element and liver being the weakest.

For the misaligned vertebrae. Well they did establish some mild scoliosis as a child. And for me this indicates that this is perhaps something deeper, perhaps karmic. You think it originated from the kidneys? In any case, no grief that I know of. But combined with my relatively intense training the past years, I can understand how that misalignment messed with my system.

Relationship issues, sure, lack of relationships. That will probably be a problem, but also curious if it's THE problem.

Edited by mcoolio

The physical and emotional bodies work much better when the spiritual you loves the human you

11 hours ago, mcoolio said:

You think it originated from the kidneys? In any case, no grief that I know of.

Not originated but condensed around.

Not really grief.  The kidneys are associated with fear. 

Fear of authority?

Fear of being alone?

Edited by Lairg

9 hours ago, Lairg said:

The physical and emotional bodies work much better when the spiritual you loves the human you

I really believe it still does, but can understand it is perhaps a little bit frustrated

of not being able to do things.

It has to be patient for just a little bit longer

On 8/25/2022 at 1:15 AM, Lairg said:

Not originated but condensed around.

A few years ago I did a 5 week intensive meditation. Meditate eat work meditate sleep repeat

Sometimes at the end of a session I would end up tilted backwards, almost like when you look at the ceiling right above you. As a result of my by back attempting to counter the dissolving techniques I used. It did not like what I was doing.

Nearing the final weeks, I was exhausted. Couldn't sit more than an hour a day and also got obsessed by food. Started eating compulsively and my evening relaxation before going to sleep was to look up recipes on the internet :lol:

On 8/25/2022 at 1:15 AM, Lairg said:

Not really grief.  The kidneys are associated with fear. 

Fear of authority?

Fear of being alone?

No idea.

Could feel tension all over my back, during those 5 weeks (and still now). But this one spot - and it could very well be the one near the kidneys - was different.

Edited by mcoolio

On 8/25/2022 at 11:00 AM, Lairg said:

Fear of dark forces?

Hmm yes, this hits home. Took a long time before I could sleep with my door closed. Needed that little bit of light coming in from the hallway.

Even after that I was never really comfortable in the dark. Still get that feeling from time to time. As if I'm not alone. Remember that like it was yesterday. Growing up in a very old house, lived in by several generations probably didn't help.

Not a new thought in fact. One time not long after I started my training, when I was feeling particularly aligned, in tune, these fears came back particularly strong. But seems like I need to be reminded of that from time to time.

Edited by mcoolio

It does seem like adverse entities attend to you - mostly anchoring dark threads in your back

The primary process in dealing with such is to increase the flow of Divine Light into the heart and to use heart-light to alter the state of the adverse beings

https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/53886-healing/?tab=comments#comment-988597

There may be permissions you have given but the Divine Light will eventually lift you above the planes/subplanes on which the permissions exist.

On 8/25/2022 at 12:33 PM, Lairg said:

It does seem like adverse entities attend to you

If that truly is the case, I don't think these were necessarily things with bad intentions towards me. I was scared, but never felt as if in danger.

I have a few energetic practices that will be interesting to try out, and might also have a look at the thing you posted.

Edited by mcoolio

As a fellow insomniac I'd recommend easing up on practice or not doing them close to bed time.  They could be energizing or sparking so much inner awareness that you can't get into the dull fuzziness needed to fall sleep. 

3 hours ago, thelerner said:

As a fellow insomniac I'd recommend easing up on practice or not doing them close to bed time.  They could be energizing or sparking so much inner awareness that you can't get into the dull fuzziness needed to fall sleep. 

I tried that. Wasn't successful. If I recall correctly, during that time, I would stop my practice before 9h latest, going to bed at around 11h.

Guess that's still not ideal but earlier than that, it becomes a bit impractical I find.

But anyways, falling asleep was not the problem. Twas waking up around 3h and no longer falling asleep.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mcoolio said:

Especially his back side since he was (is) always scared what was (is) standing behind him when it's dark.

8 hours ago, mcoolio said:

I don't think these were necessarily things with bad intentions towards me. I was scared, but never felt as if in danger.

8 hours ago, mcoolio said:

might also have a look at the thing you posted.

All  good then!