Sign in to follow this  
Ajay0

A still mind is divine...

Insightful article by spiritual teacher Eknath Easwaran on the still mind as perceived from the Hindu and Christian religious philosophies...

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/opinion/speaking-tree/a-still-mind-is-divine/articleshow/89230633.cms

There is a popular misconception that to still the mind is to become a zombie or robot. It is just the opposite. The calmer and stiller the mind becomes, the more we can realise in our daily lives our true birthright of security, joy and tireless energy to work for the welfare of those around us.

Meher Baba, a well-known saint of modern India, used to say that a mind that is fast is sick, a mind that is slow is sound, and a mind that is still is divine. This is what the Bible means when it says, 'Be still and know that I am God.' ~ Eknath Easwaran

Edited by Ajay0
  • Like 1

The still, aligned mind is a useful organ of perception and  then is turned to action.  Such a mind is critical to first stage enlightenment.

The human heart is central to second stage enlightenment

Another misconception is that a still mind is a mind without thought. Not true at all. A more accurate description is a mind that is free of thoughts. Thoughts are not absent but the still mind remains undisturbed as thoughts come and go. There are periods of thoughtlessness but they are interspersed with thought that can’t take root, like paint thrown into the air.

• Like 2

A still mind is one that is allowing thoughts to come and go, but doesn't get entangled in any of them. A solid rock in the turbulent waters, as it were.

Also, there is no singular state of mind that fits every situation. For instance, I sometimes like to spend hours deeply immersed in thought. However, every time I am faced with twenty adversaries swinging weapons at me, I make sure I keep my mind in that free flowing state, because the moment it stops I'd be cut down. ;)

Sign in to follow this