thelerner

Whats your Sign?

There was a question about Water Tigers and it made me think about astrology.  Not that I'm a great believer in it, but I do like the signs I was born under.  I'd probably choose them if given a choice.  Born in late Oct 1964, under the Western astrology I'm a Libra on the cusp of Scorpio.  I like it, a Libra seeking balance.  As I've gotten older I realize balance can't be static, it must be dynamic otherwise the events of the world  create minute (or large) variations, so true balance must mean shifting appropriately, preferably subtly at times. 

Course a scale isn't alive, but a scorpion is.   That aliveness, brings spice to life, the instincts, the drive, exploration, struggles make life worth living. 

Under Eastern astrology I'm a Wooden Dragon.  Dragons are pretty cool.  Wooden being a bit more subdued then other types.  There's the obvious self destruction problem of a creature that blows fire.  That doesn't mean fearing fire as much as keeping it to short defined bursts.  Wood regenerates and grows, self creates.  All good. 

The wood dragon lives in the freedom of the open skies and living comfort of the woods. 

While I don't exactly believe in astrology, there are lessons to learn from it.  It's been awhile, think I'll hit Burning Man this year, at least a regional.

What about you guys, What's your sign, how does it influence you, does it align with your life?

Not that I'm a great believer myself, but the sign tells you rather little in the western astrology system, where you look at the full radix (that means the planets in their position around earth at the moment (time&space) of your birth. That way it's been done for centuries like in south of france, provence especially as far as I know)

You can compare the findings to moments in your past, present or future, if you feel like you need some interpretation or orientation, that's called looking at transits (transitioning planets) and in which degree they are to you (e.g. your natal horoscope radix). 

The same can be done with partners, that's called synastry and may explain the ebbing and flowing of the intensities or durations of love affairs. 

In the natal horoscope there's beside the signs the houses (placidus house system most commonly, - don't use those much myself), which symbolize certain areas in your life. 

Then you look at the planets and their relations to each other, so conjunction (balancing each other out), opposition (conflict or struggle), square (learning tasks), trine (helpfully supporting each other). 

Then you analyse that and maybe know a bit better who you (predetermined) are and can figure out why you are how you are (in your actions especially) and maybe try to improve that :D

Current events and tasks you can see with the transitioning planets and their relations. 

There's much more, like ascendent, medium coeli, descendent, and natal north/south nodes (those are often illustrated as dragons) and those are sort oft like life entry (past life - south node) and life aim (north node). Their it get's tricky and interesting... in my opinion. 

There's a great deal of information on the interwebs on horoscope analysis, not all is good :)

And well, it might bear the danger of self fulfilling prophecies, over interpretation but like other tools, like reading the paper, mowing the lawn it can help to deal with what is going on... for some at least. 

Not interested in arguing how big blobs of gas might influence what is going on on our insides, just trying to explain it from my view... 

helpful tool if you _don't_ want to go into deep is astro-seek.com you'll need the exact hour and minute and birth coordinates/town

personally, I couldn't work well with my horoscope until around two years around, - 

now I am sure it is really mine. :D

Edit:

if you get good at it, you learn about strengths and weaknesses in various areas in life. to deal with those and improve, of course is another topic... 

Edited by questionmark
strength & weaknesses
  • Like 2

I miss the laid back New Age book stores of my youth.  They've all closed.  My favorite was Transitions, near downtown Chicago.  Had books, newage chochkies and a great bakery w/ mile high taffy apple pie.  Great place to while away an hour or two drinking coffee, eating and reading something interesting.  Not necessarily true but.. helpful and as I said interesting.  They also had authors come in.  I heard Mantak Chia's talk/pitch when he visited. 

Many of them hosted fortune tellers; astrology, tarot or palmistry.  I like having a reading every year or so.  Like astrology I'm not a true believer but I'd something of value out of a reading.  Things to consider, things to agree with, or disagree with.  It helped me focus on aspects of my future that would otherwise go semi-ignored. 

I assume my agreeing with my astrology signs, East & West is akin to self-fulfilling prophecy.  Perhaps the point of it is becoming the best aspects of your Zodiac sign.  There is power in reflecting and aligning with archetypes.. Warrior, King, Lover, Magician, Sage..    Sure beats Salesman, accountant, clerk etc.,  and may give us a chance to incorporate both. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

It's not about believing but experiencing it yourself as well as an acute observation of others, physical signs and their behaviour.

We all have two major dominant animals & human (a few in the Sun-based Zodiac; namely Gemini, Libra, Virgo & Aquarius)

-Yang (Heaven): 12 constellations of the Zodiac found by the ancient Mesopotamia civilisation.

2. Yin (Earth). 12 animals of the Chinese Zodiac. They are related to the Yang signs as each animal represents a Sun sign; eg. Sheep-Cancer, Monkey-Leo.

Your physical appearance is shaped by the two Zodiac systems and visible to anyone who has their third eye open.

The human is in the middle shaped by these two forces:

Heaven-Man-Earth 

• Like 1