Miroku

Gelug bums?

Hi,

lately I have felt the desire to look a bit more into the Gelug Teachings and maybe receive some transmissions. Are there any Gelug Bums that have experience with Gelugpa geshes teaching online? I will be glad for any suggestion, that is outside of the realm of a certain gyalpo spirit. Please don't recommend that (at least to me) as I don't want none of that shugden in my life.

• Like 3

Some pretty weird shugden stuff happened here in Malaysia not too long ago, involving quite a prominent teacher. Sad ending. Hard to be certain if its coincidental, but i dunno... its just... weird. Anyway, he died young.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2021 at 5:31 PM, Miroku said:

I will be glad for any suggestion, that is outside of the realm of a certain gyalpo spirit.

I have taken notice how  searching online for many popular yidams shows prominent top results that are pro-gyalpo. Someone has certainly been paying a lot of money for search engine optimization and reaching Internet visibility. In my opinion, it's pretty clear that much of the gyalpo driven agenda has been subsidized by the spiteful Chinese Communist Party as a revenge towards Dalai Lama.

2 hours ago, C T said:

Some pretty weird shugden stuff happened here in Malaysia not too long ago, involving quite a prominent teacher. Sad ending. Hard to be certain if its coincidental, but i dunno... its just... weird. Anyway, he died young.

Is there any article about this or can you share details?

2 hours ago, C T said:

Yeah there is unfortunately plenty of those. Was his name Tsem Rinpoche?

17 minutes ago, virtue said:

I have taken notice how  searching online for many popular yidams shows prominent top results that are pro-gyalpo. Someone has certainly been paying a lot of money for search engine optimization and reaching Internet visibility. In my opinion, it's pretty clear that much of the gyalpo driven agenda has been subsidized by the spiteful Chinese Communist Party as a revenge towards Dalai Lama.

Yeah those groups are quite better in promotion, etc. The sad thing is they went and made lots of sites like lama-tsongkhapa.com and others. So when it comes to gelug these shugden groups are the most visible ones. Might be also because it is quite hard a gelug group in the west outside of fpmt.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, virtue said:

Is there any article about this or can you share details?

2 minutes ago, Miroku said:

Yeah there is unfortunately plenty of those. Was his name Tsem Rinpoche?

Yeah those groups are quite better in promotion, etc. The sad thing is they went and made lots of sites like lama-tsongkhapa.com and others. So when it comes to gelug these shugden groups are the most visible ones. Might be also because it is quite hard a gelug group in the west outside of fpmt.

@virtue

There's a 3-page discussion on Dharmawheel entitled "The Tsem Tulku thread". Ended up being locked.

• Like 2

Tibetologist Thierry Dodin provides some serious insights into this Shugden controversy. Off topic... apologies, M _/\_

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, C T said:

Tibetologist Thierry Dodin provides some serious insights into this Shugden controversy. Off topic... apologies, M _/\_

Really? Could be interesting to look into. And off topic is okay. :D I guess there is nobody who is a gelugpa in here.

• Like 1

I studied Lam Rim under Lama Zopa Rinpoche at Land of Medicine Buddha, and with some of his nuns and teachers for a few years. Moved back to Nyingma/Dzogchen and stepped away from the graded path, however. Lama Zopa is a truly great teacher for those interested in Gelugpa-style teachings. 

I wouldn't limit myself. Keep in mind that most students in Tibet study under teachers from a variety of traditions. The Dalai Lama himself is a fine example.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stirling said:

I studied Lam Rim under Lama Zopa Rinpoche at Land of Medicine Buddha, and with some of his nuns and teachers for a few years. Moved back to Nyingma/Dzogchen and stepped away from the graded path, however. Lama Zopa is a truly great teacher for those interested in Gelugpa-style teachings. 

I wouldn't limit myself. Keep in mind that most students in Tibet study under teachers from a variety of traditions. The Dalai Lama himself is a fine example.

Yes definitely no extra limitation I myself took teachings from all major schools. Just now I'd like to take a deeper dive into gelug really. Unfortunately Lama Zopa no longer teaches live at least for the time being...

• Like 1