Sign in to follow this  
Living

Mantra one word vs many words which is better

Friends I am wondering which is better one word mantra for meditation vs many words mantra for meditation. Short vs long mantra which one is more effective. Some people use one word (short) mantras like Amituofo or waheguru or shanti etc etc vs some people use longer mantras like Om Mani Padme Hum or Hare Krishna hare Rama ....etc etc...are short or one word mantras better. Which kind of mantra allows you to go deeper fast. Would love to hear from mantra practitioners.

1 hour ago, Living said:

Friends I am wondering which is better one word mantra for meditation vs many words mantra for meditation. Short vs long mantra which one is more effective. Some people use one word (short) mantras like Amituofo or waheguru or shanti etc etc vs some people use longer mantras like Om Mani Padme Hum or Hare Krishna hare Rama ....etc etc...are short or one word mantras better. Which kind of mantra allows you to go deeper fast. Would love to hear from mantra practitioners.

One of the more important lessons I’ve learned from Dharma teachings is that generalizations about individual effects of  Dharma teachings are meaningless. What you need in this moment and what may have worked for me in the past have little correlation or predictive value. 

Mantra efficacy has little to do with numbers of syllables. Mantras are precise and specific, so you need to know your target and use the right formula. Deities often have both long and short mantra - fierce or peaceful or simple seed syllables...

If you have no experience, guidance, initiation, or transmission, I suggest connecting with a general mantra that embodies wisdom and skillful means, the two-fold formula of realization. Avoid fierce or wrathful mantras without a deeper understanding and connection to the practice.

In Bön, the mantra of Sherab Chamma is effective to practice without initiation. She is the wisdom loving Mother of all Buddhas. It is a long and beautiful mantra.

Spoiler

I also chant A Om Hung, helping the body, speech, and mind to rest into it’s Natural condition.

Spoiler

C6A5E2BA-F41A-4B4C-A500-E441ADD0C746.jpeg

I practice many different mantras for different circumstances. 

What matters is your own experience and that will be unique to you. Connecting to a tradition or teaching and developing a relationship to what’s behind the syllables is really key.

The thing about a mantra is this. You need to bring an open heart to connecting with its essence, often that points to a deity. There is a spirit of devotion, of trust, of gratitude, and a deep desire to liberate one’s self for the benefit of not only oneself, but all beings. We purify ourselves and ask for guidance and support. All of that is far more important than what syllables we choose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You use the mantra suitable to the practice. If you are doing Pureland practice, you use an Amitabha mantra, if Chenrezing, you use Manis, etc. Also, many mantras require you get the mantra from some one who has "activated" it. 

Also agree with @steve

Thanks friends for all good responses.  I appreciate that there are many factors that go into selection of a mantra. As some friends have rightly have pointed out, those other factors maybe more important in selecting a mantra than the number of words. However, here in this thread I just wanted to see if anyone has a perspective on short vs long. One word vs many word mantras. 

Edited by Living

Found your question of short vs long mantras interesting.

Frequency of Om (one word):

http://www.ijastems.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/v3.i6.5.Scientific-Analysis-of-Mantra-Based-Meditation.pdf

Combining many frequencies:

https://vesica.org/cymatics-how-sound-vibrations-create-physical-structures/

(More papers are available in detail)

Difference in the patterns of low frequency and higher ones:

https://monoskop.org/images/7/78/Jenny_Hans_Cymatics_A_Study_of_Wave_Phenomena_and_Vibration.pdf

Edited by Bhathen
  • Like 1

Any mantra that replaces thought in the mind will work. The ones that have no conceptual meaning for you give you less to cling to, so would be preferred, IMHO.

Sign in to follow this