Ajay0

Female enlightened master Rajini Menon on attaining enlightenment by virtuous conduct

1 hour ago, steve said:

There is a Tibetan saying from the non-dual teachings, ‘the view should be as vast as the sky and the conduct as fine as barley flour.’

The thing about non-duality is that it does not entail cultivation. It is not possible to cultivate non-duality, only to optimize conditions for it to blossom. Resting in the natural state is comparable to wu wei. There is no interference with the spontaneous manifestation from the source. Whatever is needed in any given moment is already there. 

On the other hand, if we are honest with ourselves we find that we are very often distracted/disconnected from the fundamental essence and in these circumstances it is very beneficial to practice virtuous conduct.

When the non-dual teachings refer to conduct it is often described “flexible” rather than virtuous. This refers to non-interference, wu wei. The advice is to continuously be present and undistracted. Consequently there are no expectations and no patterned or anticipated responses. The flexibility reflects spontaneity and non-interference.

Very nicely said. 

Bows.

Edited by stirling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Lairg said:

This is a topic of some interest as it touches on any purpose that might exist for the human race.  Options include:

- humans only/mainly exist to provide bodies so that spirits/souls can have dense plane experiences

- humans are decorative and provide play time for higher beings

- humans, individually or as groups, have functionality/purpose in the cosmos

- the existence of a human species is illusory like a video game 

- human existence is a once-only code

- etc

The mind within the human personality, by its nature, may be unable to prove or disprove these or other options. 

If the human had faculties that transcended the personality (persona = mask) those might unveil the cosmic (or trivial) nature of the human race.

One “purpose” for the existence of humanity, and all other sentient beings, is to serve as the vehicle, or aperture, through which the universe is self-aware. This is a frequently cited aspect of non-dual realization. We are the “eyes of the world” as I believe Longchenpa, a dzogchen master, put it. Not at all a trivial responsibility and opportunity.

1 hour ago, steve said:

One “purpose” for the existence of humanity, and all other sentient beings, is to serve as the vehicle, or aperture, through which the universe is self-aware.

I pretty much agree - although it is not so clear that humanity is quite at the center of Existence.

Last year when meditating I ran into a fellow - not particularly human.  For some reason I asked him:  How intelligent am I relative to you?

He instantly replied 9%

So hopefully the universe has better vehicles than myself for self-awareness.

The relationship between the geometric form of the kabbalistic Tree of Life and the human system may indicate the designed potential of the Earth human - once it has escaped the Oppression System

I did not mean to imply that humanity is the center of Existence.

I do think that humans are as good a vehicle for self-awareness as any with which I am familiar. I don’t rule out the possibility that more suitable vessels exist.

• Like 1

Being as it is (or as you are) in this moment is being present with causes and conditions that point to enlightenment. How the world appears to you is based on the causes and conditions of your "birth" in this moment. The 12 Links of Dependent Origination point to not only the illusory "macro" cycle of being human, but also what is happening in THIS moment. We are reborn and die moment to moment lost in the cycle of of our story. 

In a non-dual "universe" humanity (or anything else) isn't the center of anything. Non-duality is, by definition, center-less. What awareness/consciousness IS is the fabric of all phenomena/sensation, arising and passing in this moment. Awareness is present in all sensation, occurring where and when it arises.