Sign in to follow this  
Taomeow

Supernatural phenomena reported by the working class (occupational esoterica)

No photo description available.

From the Ph.D. thesis titled "Typology of fantastic characters in the folklore of miners in Western Europe and Russia," by Natalia Shvabauer

“The image of Shubin is very popular among the miners of Ukraine.  Shubin is known to all miners of Donbass: a similar character is found in the miners' stories of Krasnodon, Gorlovka, Grushevka, Makeevka, Kadievka. He does not possess zoomorphic features - his appearance is very  close to that of a person. In one of the versions of the legends, Shubin is an old man who works underground as a duty officer in a mine yard. In another, he's the spirit of a former miner who quarreled with the owner and blew up the mine out of revenge. The spirit appears in the form of a familiar ("mine owner Koshkin"), a gray-haired old man with brightly glowing eyes (a distinctive feature of many mountain people), "an invisible man," a stranger in a miner's overalls with a bat on his shoulder. Its distinctive features are a nervous grin and eyes like glowing coals - "like a cat's, they glow in the dark."  When such a creature greets the miner, one should answer the greeting with etiquette prescribed “blessed by your prayers.” 

The appearance of Shubin may foretell impending death - "to whom he meets, that means his end is near:  he will be crushed" - or the end of development - “as soon as the last cage with the people comes out, he sits down in the cage and goes down into the mine as a gray-haired old man, after which the mine will surely be flooded."  On the other hand, Shubin is able to predict a disaster and save the miner, pulling him out from the site of an accident.  According to legend, the mountain spirit "pardons" only three times. Shubin cuts ore, often alongside a person. The spirit prefers to use the old-fashioned butt rather than a jackhammer, because "the sound gives him a headache" - the supernatural being's rejection of sharp sounds has been recorded more than once. He is said to have helped a miner who has spent all the money and is forced to work on a holiday. The guy loaded the trolleys, and the demon rolled them away. When the miner went outside, he turned completely gray.  Sometimes Shubin subjects the miners to a test of physical strength and ingenuity and challenges them to compete with him. In some cases, the cunning mountain lord seeks to puzzle or humiliate the worker.  Shubin's aversion to loud sharp noises extends to human laughter -- the spirit is forced to flee from it, supposedly because roaring laughter opposes its 144 infernal essences. " 

A local street art rendition:

May be an image of outdoors

And the label of a local beer called "Kind/good/strong Shubin"

No photo description available.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 4

In many mines in Sth America , it  is considered dangerous to  go to work underground without making  offerings to  'El Tio '    :

e17FHNR6i_O_hWpWo0D2uXVn6gvZ5Vi5JszNu4zC

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb34aqow5_3UaR46VnkYT

• Like 3

My favourite Mining Gnome Story is told in the Black Forrest, where the "Venedigermändle" pop up on different occasions.

"Venedigermändle" translates as "small Men from Venice" and they are always looking for Gold or precious Stones using stuff like a Mirror that allows them to look inside the Mountain, interact with whoever is there and leave. Mostly friendly people it seems.

What I like about this, is the fact that just some Italians coming for Gold could make sense too. Small Italians. Maybe the Black Forresters emphasized that in retribution for being called Giants once by the Romans.

So there is a bunch of interesting possibilities.

In my Area they'll tell you of the "Ehrenmännle". Couldn't find any English Sources on that, so here is one in German:

https://www.digishelf.de/rest/pdf/mets/bsz408063912_1989.xml/LOG_0011/Das_Eremnnleloch_im_Bsenreutiner_Tobel.pdf?watermarkId=bsz-st-bodenseebibliotheken

And here is a summary Google translated for me:

"If you go from Lindau in a north-easterly direction via Reuti, the Staig and the Wannenthal, you come to a narrow valley gorge through which a water runs, which further down in Rickenbach sets a mill wheel in motion. In the mouths of the people this valley gorge is called the "Beseriiter Tobel," because the parish village of Bösenreuti lies further up and outside the forest. From that brook up to the top, a very friendly path leads through the darkness of the forest over a hundred and several steps. In that ravine, the Ehre-Mändle, a kind of elf man or goblin, is said to have been on the move. On beautiful summer days it used to carry all its treasures and riches - among them especially very beautiful silver spoons and plates - out in front of its dwelling, to clean them there and to display them formally without allowing itself a rest; there was always something to wipe and dust here or there. If you wanted to approach him, the whole mess was gone in no time. The bustle of this gnome is said to have always indicated long lasting beautiful weather; That is why in the evenings after "haying" it was customary to put a piece of bread on the doorstep in order to express gratitude to him. The Ehre-Mändle was also seen in houses and stables in winter after dark, since its appearance always brought good luck. It is said not to have been seen since the Swedish War. It is also said that some young fellows, with the intention of teasing the good little man and luring him out, threw a live duck into his cave, which was seen fluttering again half an hour further east in the Lettenbach. But that can't be. Narrator made an effort to crawl into it but found no continuation of this cave or any other exit. In an old, very precise map of the area made by the painter Rauh zu Wangen in 1626, it clearly states "Erzmann-Loch," which led the narrator to think that this cave might be the entrance to an abandoned, now completely deserted one collapsed manholes. From the outside, the whole thing looks more like a badger's den, and is currently still called Ehre-Mändles-Loch. Should anyone want to go to it, he would have to turn to the occupants of the farm next to it, where it is called by the "Wagner" in the Tobel."

At one point they vanish, because some Girl stole a Spoon, I Think, and during the Swedish wars their tunnel was used for smuggling. With or without their Help, depending on who you ask.

But what I thought of, when I read the Topic and the Tale I am planning on investigating this Summer goes about a set of Caves an hour drive away from my home.

It's called "Wildfräuleinstein" after a remarkable Stone, I guess, and few Hundert Years back a bunch of "wild Woman" is said to have been living in that Caves. From Story to Story they cross the line between wise women in seclusion, magic Folks and Farys, whit a Relationship to the people of the two neighbouring villages that seems to have been the classic Trick or Tread, depending on the peoples character and the Respect the women were shown.

From Pictures the Caves look like the kind of Place one would Love to go in Seclusion in and I know of at least one Family who claims to have one of them in their ancestry. Not in a "Time before Time began" kind of way, but like "Paul married Gertud".

There are some First Names remembered, but they shouldn't be said aloud. That was why Gertrud left in the End.

I

Edited by con.
  • Like 2

Cool stories, guys, thanks! 

By the way, "working class" in the title is perhaps a bit imprecise -- I didn't mean to exclude doctors or lawyers should they have their own profession-related paranormal tales. :)   

Sign in to follow this