skyblue

Strange emotional experiences

Have you ever went through some particularly strange emotional disturbances where you experience some intense emotion without any reason whatsoever? Just in a few weeks, I, who had been a through and through atheist (still am) cried thrice : once while looking at the morning ritual in the Amarnath temple with a bored expression on my face, the next while I was looking at a tree in my backyard and the last one when I listen to Om Tara chant over and over again...

Btw, do you think I am suffering from some mental damage or something?

I would say that some events seem to be triggering unconscious reactions that effect the emotions . Unless it is totally without reason and is a 'mechanical' fault .    Analysis of the circumstances or hypnotism could bring out the causes .

I often notice emotional shifts with no obvious source.

Emotion is energy, energy is movement, it is natural for emotions to wax and wane.

When we see a reason, that is fine and we can address it or not.

When we do not see a reason, that is equally fine.

It is enough to feel the emotion fully, knowing it is a transient life experience.

No matter how bad I feel, I know that if I give it some time I will feel better.

No matter how good I feel, I know that if I give it some time I will feel worse.

Just the natural ebb and flow of feeling.

• Like 1

Our emotional selves go deeper than the surface layer of feeling and thought we´re familiar with, and sometimes deep emotions will push up into consciousness from these deep layers unbidden.  To me, that´s part of the beauty of life.  I don´t know what your name means to you, catyclysmic sky, but to me it suggests precisely this process.  Nothing about this strikes me as a harbinger of "mental damage"  (though, in truth, I think we are all suffering from mental damage to some extent.)  These experiences would only be concerning from that point of view if they caused you great pain or interferred with your ability to take care of yourself in the world -- and maybe not even then.