Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Virapocalypse Day XX

Virapocalypse Day X

Went to Trader Joes today.  Tried to.  Its being rationed.  There was a line out the door and you can only enter if somebody leaves.  It was like Disney world, only no rides and you pay to get out.   I noticed at times more entering then leaving.  A quick count of people in the store confirmed my suspicion.  More were coming in, then leaving.  They were also the only grocery store with ground beef.   

I saw a man heading to a backroom marked Washrooms; I tried calling out to him 'Don't go in th..' but it was to late, he'd gone in.  I never saw him again.  $5.99 organic beef indeed.  I shopped quickly and left.

My son, who's had a cough for 3 days, took off this morning on a 16 mile jog to the Botanical Gardens and back.  Its 48 degrees out, he had no jacket.   <note was 13.1 miles and he did it in 2 hrs 1 minute> 

Wondering what to cook tonight.  Maybe pasta with homemade sauce, use up some cheap ground beef purchased at TJ's. 

** This thread is for members to record there adventures during the Virapocalypse. 

So that whatever survives will know our story and that we had, a good sense of humor. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We're focusing on high protein, high fat and high raw/phytochemical diet.

Not different from our usual actually, we eat hardly any processed, grains, boxed foods.  I did load up on high fat meats, pork, chicken, turkey and some tilapia (wild).  Our biggest change in diet has been in not going out.  There are three restaurants we frequent.  Ph'o, Green Temple (veg/organic/farm to table) and the Red Car Brewery (also farm to table and local brew).

I did buy a couple treat like items on my last foray out... smoked salmon and shrimp for the gal.  Dark chocolate for the boy, he loves that.  Gotta keep the spirits up.

We stopped going to TJ's over a month (six weeks already?) ago.  Too small and cramped.  Von's is doing an admirable job, allowing 35 customers at a time in the store.  They have stations marked out in tape at the entrance to keep the line in from squashing and compromising distance guidelines.  They have two people stationed at the entrance ticking those who come in, communicating with the person stationed at the exit counting those as they leave.  Not having more than that in the store helps maintain safe distances and allows the staff to continually restock shelves as needed.

Plenty of everything except beans, lentils and ramen.

The store was well provisioned.  Meat section was surprisingly packed (last trip, two weeks ago it was bare) and absolutely loaded with great deals.  Chicken cutlets, whole chickens, ground meats of all varieties, steaks, pork tenderloins, all at great prices.   Picked up a couple corned beefs as well. 

Cabbage, loads of veggies n fruit. 

My body and mind are vibrant and accute.  Equilibrium has shifted dramatically and wonderfully these last few days, particularly between 3-4:30 am.

Wife and son both woke today sounding better.  Coughing down, no fevers.

slow and steady wins the race.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Virapocalypse Day X

Went to Trader Joes today.  Tried to.  Its being rationed.  There was a line out the door and you can only enter if somebody leaves.  It was like Disney world, only no rides and you pay to get out.   I noticed at times more entering then leaving.  A quick count of people in the store confirmed my suspicion.  More were coming in, then leaving.  They were also the only grocery store with ground beef.   

I saw a man heading to a backroom marked Washrooms; I tried calling out to him 'Don't go in th..' but it was to late, he'd gone in.  I never saw him again.  $5.99 organic beef indeed.  I shopped quickly and left.

My son, who's had a cough for 3 days, took off this morning on a 16 mile jog to the Botanical Gardens and back.  Its 48 degrees out, he had no jacket.   <note was 13.1 miles and he did it in 2 hrs 1 minute> 

Wondering what to cook tonight.  Maybe pasta with homemade sauce, use up some cheap ground beef purchased at TJ's. 

Was the ground beef marked 'Soylent Green'?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have not been to the store since before the lockdown started because I only go once a month.

I usually buy 12 gallons of milk at a time to last the month

I butchered some chickens a couple of months ago, and had some venison so the freezer was stocked but I am down to just two chickens.

I have 22 live chickens so have lots of eggs. My friend just bought two cows so we're getting some really good jersey cow milk which is much creamier than the milk produced by the Holstein cow milk that we get at the store.

I live in the wilderness, 1.5 hours drive to the store.

Tomorrow I was thinking of going to town to go to the store

Might harvest some squirrels for extra meat. Plenty of wild greens and acorns.

Edited by ion
  • Like 3

Sign in to follow this