old3bob

there is no enlightenment in the future

2 hours ago, dawei said:

Careful quoting Blake... the incredible opening is a harrowing poem.   Which really seems the point. :)

True! I know those lines get thrown around by a lot of people who don't bother to actually read Blake, but I am a longtime admirer of him. I credit Blake for curing me of a materialistic worldview.

2 hours ago, dawei said:

So, One as you share is still conceptual, yes ?  

Or is is more like the [hidden] fabric that holds it all together.   This is then how I do tend to see Dao on some level.   

I don't know- I think at that level such distinctions don't really matter.

Daoist theology personifies the One as Yuanshi Tianzun, "Heavenly Worthy of the Primal Beginning"- sometimes this seems metaphorical, sometimes less so. I've often seen the Dao characterized as impersonal, but I think it is better to be circumspect about this, when talking about something that surely transcends any idea we have of personality or impersonality.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 1:49 AM, old3bob said:

there is no enlightenment in the future,  for such is only found or realized  now....thus not after jumping through thousands of hoops for unknown number of years and then you get it.

Hey! old3bob, a brief comment from my current perspective, when you are living in the present/now you are then able to Receive the future as it is arriving.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 1:30 PM, SirPalomides said:

True! I know those lines get thrown around by a lot of people who don't bother to actually read Blake, but I am a longtime admirer of him. I credit Blake for curing me of a materialistic worldview.

I don't know- I think at that level such distinctions don't really matter.

Daoist theology personifies the One as Yuanshi Tianzun, "Heavenly Worthy of the Primal Beginning"- sometimes this seems metaphorical, sometimes less so. I've often seen the Dao characterized as impersonal, but I think it is better to be circumspect about this, when talking about something that surely transcends any idea we have of personality or impersonality.

damn... who pulled a daoist theological rabbbit out of the hat.  

I try to carefully tread about dao though opinions abound.  The deities or the roll call abound too.  

I like your circumspect position about transcendent concepts.