Sign in to follow this  
silent thunder

inquiring again

I've inquired before, at length and rather persistently for some months, several years ago, when the right wing barrage began.

Here's one more shot at it...

Is it not possible to block specific thread topics from appearing in one's feed?

Seems such a simple feature and so useful.  Particularly in the face of toxic threads and intentionally flame-baiting topics.

I've tried the custom activity stream process, of which I turned to and created half a dozen variants of, during the 'blitz-krieg of right wing sharing' of recent years, which was not very useful as it either renders an entire category mute, or allows all aspects of it in one's feed.

With the incessant spam=like nature of certain topics and their toxic nature, it is cause to avoid the site all-together in the more intense periods.

So that's it. 

Is it possible to ignore specific threads?

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

I've inquired before, at length and rather persistently for some months, several years ago, when the right wing barrage began.

Here's one more shot at it...

Is it not possible to block specific thread topics from appearing in one's feed?

Seems such a simple feature and so useful.  Particularly in the face of toxic threads and intentionally flame-baiting topics.

I've tried the custom activity stream process, of which I turned to and created half a dozen variants of, during the 'blitz-krieg of right wing sharing' of recent years, which was not very useful as it either renders an entire category mute, or allows all aspects of it in one's feed.

With the incessant spam=like nature of certain topics and their toxic nature, it is cause to avoid the site all-together in the more intense periods.

So that's it. 

Is it possible to ignore specific threads?

That request was passed along to Sean some time ago... would require an add-in or what-you-call-it.

I think it would be useful on some level.    Glad you raised that again.  

• Thanks 2

On 23/12/2019 at 8:35 AM, silent thunder said:

I would like to have that option. At least a part of me would like it. For instance, I’d use it to block the current Mo Pai topic. My reservation is that by doing so I lose something of the wholeness of the Dao Bums discussion spectrum. Even though I don’t read that topic, I like to know it’s occupying so much discussion energy here. Although there are always topics I have no interest in, I am very interested in the qi flows of this forum, composed as it is of people with a greater or lesser interest in spiritual growth.  For political reasons that have been talked about at length, we’ve already lost a significant amount of discussion spectrum. Whilst I appreciate the necessity of that prohibition, it doesn't mean I’m entirely comfortable with it. 

Without realising the extent of it because we all have blind spots, our posts reveal plenty more about ourselves than what we’re trying to convey with our words.  For instance, it seems to me there’s a whole web of chaotic emotion that simmers beneath the surface of most of us Dao Bums members, some more so than others. For me, that chaotic energy is the stuff I need to first acknowledge then work on transmuting into something more stable. That’s the basis of the alchemical method; a method that attempts to work with all that we are; our darkness as well as our light. Hence a forum such as this one that allows a high degree of free discussion is particularly insightful for uncovering personal blind spots by reflection. And that’s certainly not always comfortable. Hence it can only be a slow process of inner discovery, integration and transmutation; for me a lifetime’s work. 

The alternative method is to block these difficult aspects of ourselves and try to model oneself on ideal figures, such as Jesus or the Buddha to name just two prominent examples. That’s the dominant way of mainstream religion. But to me it feels artificial, a denial of vital aspects of our human condition. These traits do not disappear but lurk beneath the surface and continually sabotage attempts at ‘goodness’.  Hence I have reservations about the long term effects on the health of this forum through its closing off of certain perspectives. However, in the short term at least, it has definitely made it a more pleasant place for like-minded people.

I'm thinking out loud with this post, I claim no clear-cut answers. Although I favour the alchemical method, I know I also combine it with the other method. Empirically, it would seem an appropriate combination of these two methods is the practical way to proceed; “appropriate” being the key word. 

Edited by Yueya
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Great idea.  Another idea is the scream thread where you can discharge any pent up stuff with no consequence, like a heat sink. You could even have one for each side of the aisle.

No screaming... no desire to vent.  That's the point.  Those days have passed and along with them, is any desire to force others to stop such behavior.   Let them explore that... I'm looking for a sound proof door to close, so to speak... so my time here is not spent in sifting through things I've left behind in my 35 years of tilling the soil.

I participate here to share what has value with friends I've made and to foster connections to folks of high skill and open hearts, that I'd otherwise never have a chance to meet face to face.  I've no inertia for convincing others when I disagree, or make claims of truth.  No desire to tell folks their wrong, or prove I'm right.

I seek to share openly and with love, what is valuable with those of high skill, or simple means and open hearts.  No need to even cease the bog conversations, or suspend anyone... let them have their place to vent... lord knows I engaged in that sort of thing for decades.  I'm just hoping this place with a small addition, could be a much less violent experience.

So I inquire about the add again, in hopes that a simple option could fascillitate a less assaulting experience.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this