silent thunder

my odd relationship with the search function at dao bums

My relationship with the search function here at the bums has always been idiosynchratic.  It's comical to me, the 'no matches' answer I get, when it's not frustrating.  When it's frustrating, then it's tragical for me and comical for my family. 

As it just happened again, I wonder if anyone else finds the search function here to be oddly unforthcoming at times... particularly when using the exact phrase of a thread title that is well known.

here's a recent example.  I searched titles only for the thread "What are you listening to" in order to add a reply this morning. 

my search:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.00716af8c7de021d33a6e5c133066b52.png

and here's the thread that search claimed didn't match the search parameter:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.976e600b65bd0a7818a22ad9a610e2d7.png

i are confusion in regards to this...

thankfully, i've grown much accustomed to confusion and uncertainty, I just find it odd and felt like sharing in case it's some simple thing I'm missing in spite of my incredible intellect and vast experience (cough) :P

cheers!

• Like 4

Since I'm new here I like to do a search before I just post a question. I've made similar observations. What I do is use Google and put the site into the search terms like this:

site:www.thedaobums.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's what I do too, and it works much better than the site search function...
Only problem is it won't search the ppds and any other places only available to members... which is a whole lot of the good stuff! :D

Edited by cheya
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So if I’m looking at My PPD and I press search for “whales”... it only searches for whales in my PPD. 

Its worth noting to go back to the main page and page and then try searching, as it will search the whole forum

Ive gotten caught on that before. 

• Thanks 2

Thanks mate. 

That happened once or twice in the beginning. 

Lately, I start at the advanced options tab my parameters, enter the exact phrase in quotes and then make offerings to the digital search gods as well.  From now on, if it's in the public section of the board, I'll just use duckduckgo and see how that plays out, skirting the gods all-together.

They are a fickle lot, but once in a while, they do respond.

• Like 3

Have to admit that I have had some confusion over searches as well. Recently I inquired about how to quickly locate discussion threads and I specifically had in mind getting quickly to What are you listening to. Was really hoping for ability to save a personal link to a thread. Anyway, there seem to be a lot of peculiarities in how the site functions. Maybe its just me. I'm  not unhappy with the site ... just a little perplexed.

Perhaps what is needed is a tutorial on how the forum is organized and functions. If one exists, I am in aware of it.