wandelaar

What is wrong about being judgemental?

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

I can be both an arsehole and a jerk to others without any need to judge them at all , as lesser greater or equal to me .

I am totally non prejudice and non judgmental about who I am an arsehole to .    All are equal  in my arseholeness.

.... some of youmay have noticed this    :) 

I haven't labeled you as an arsehole , I have no preset expectation that you will fail to meet a code of gentility which I approve of. 

In shorthand I do not think you a jerk , although I know this appellation is relative.;) in fact compared to me ... well , lets not go there. 

2 hours ago, Stosh said:

I think not , the goodness status is relative to your opinions- about the virtue or lack thereof - of the car.

For ex, if you have to take a bus , for lack of any car , even a piece of carp is a step up. ( Did that, been there, and it sucks)

Though , One can from a 'sort of ' objective view make conclusions about which virtues make for a 'good' car. ( a societally approved general standard , (which is just kicking the can back a step ,,to the subjective opinions of a bunch of individuals , rather than a single one ,, which begs the question , who was it that finalized the definition where it is ? Merriam -Webster?)  [/QUOTE]

Nope .  It all depends on if the car is reliable or a problem car . Surely  ( the car using people )   have encountered this ?    If the car is  constantly breaking down, I dont need no 'Mirriam Webster'  to define if its good for me or not .

2 hours ago, Stosh said:

However , I think its done in the correct vein, to consider usages and applications of that which is  judgmental, coming from context in the text , rather than assume that the word usage is identical to that which we would use now, to decide how the word used was meant when it was used. Connotations change. 

In fact , I think it was expressly intended , that we observe the usages in relation to the texts more broadly- which we might be speaking in relation to- , so as not to be confused . Words like heaven , wu wei , virtue, and so forth. 

Virtue ?      - judgement call, isnt it   ?     ;)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Nope .  It all depends on if the car is reliable or a problem car . Surely  ( the car using people )   have encountered this ?    If the car is  constantly breaking down, I dont need no 'Mirriam Webster'  to define if its good for me or not .

Virtue ?      - judgement call, isnt it   ?     ;)

Yes, it can be.. when dealing according to the goodness badness quotient... a sword pencil or tree can be said to have virtues as well. Characteristic traits , propensities blah blah blah. 

These two definitions can be blended.