Oolong Rabbit

Ingo Swann's website (remote viewing and more)

I am not sure if many of you guys are familiar with Ingo Swann's work at Stanford (alongside physicist Hal Puthoff), but his website is a treasure trove of information about remote viewing (clairvoyance) and the human potential. Ingo has proven some abilities under very tight controls, and takes a more scientific approach.

http://www.biomindsuperpowers.com/Pages/Superpowers.html

He's also got some really cool papers contributed by other writers here:

http://www.biomindsuperpowers.com/Pages/3.html

This essay is fantastic:

THE MARTIAL ARTS AND THE SUPERPOWERS OF THE BIOMIND

excerpt:

Why the older arts have not lost their process of developing the superpower while the modern sport forms have is a point that needs to be addressed. This point was brought home to me one sunny afternoon in Japan.

While walking down a quiet country street, my teacher turned to me and said: "Charles-san, we need to make a gentlemen's agreement."

Having already spent some time with the Japanese and their ways of doing things, I wasn't about to agree to anything until I heard the terms.

In fact, I tried not to look too interested. That way, if agreement was totally unacceptable, no one would (hopefully) lose face. So I just nodded to wait and see what the "agreement" would be.

"You see, Charles-san, your training has to change now, and it will be very dangerous."

You can imagine what I began thinking: DANGEROUS?! I was already nursing a cut where a very sharp and fast moving katana (Japanese sword) had grazed my hand. In those days, we generally trained with "live" swords - that is, very sharp steel ones.

My teacher continued, apparently ignoring my reaction: "And, you see, to do what's next, I will have to train you very hard. So, if I accidentally kill you, I hope you have no hard feelings. Agreed?"

Anyhow, enjoy!

From THE MARTIAL ARTS AND THE SUPERPOWERS OF THE BIOMIND I liked :-

Often they seem to move at exactly the right time and the right distance without seeming to exert much effort. And they do this regardless of whatever surprises are thrown at them.

The longer you watch, the more uncertain you become as to whether their training partners are just being cooperative with them - or if you are seeing some kind of weird magic.

In fact, you are seeing neither.

What you are seeing is the result of a very exacting training process.

Unlike some forms of extended sensory skills relating to mental activity alone, martial artists train their sensing abilities directly to their bodies.

That is, if we use the metaphor of "signals," then the incoming signal of an immediate, surprise attack will by-pass the conscious mind and go directly to the body awareness systems - resulting in an instantaneous movement appropriate to avoid or to counter the attack.

If you asked masters of this how they manage always to make the right moves, seemingly without effort, they can show you exercises or drills by which they developed their special skills that seem more closely associated to intuition than to cognitive thinking. But after that, what "it" is that permits the special skills whose "inspiration" is hard to submit to analysis.

<snip>

Having watched all of the foregoing, the school would close for the day, and you would go home suitably impressed.

Still, regardless of the impressions gained so far, you would not have seen the entire story.

The reason for this is two-fold.

First, you would probably assume that the training you witnessed was the top most available through that teacher.

Second, you would naturally assume that all training took place in the school.

Number one is wrong, but an easy mistake to make.

Number two is simply a holdover from your early school days when one was in school only when at school.

The basic reason why the first reason is incorrect has to do with the assumption that self-defense fighting and survival fighting are the same or have the same goal.

That is, most people entering a martial arts school (at least in the West) do so because they feel the need for self-defense skills.

They generally do not overly concern themselves with the differences between self-defense fighting (especially if it is of the "save face" kind - such as not letting the local bully push them around) and fighting designed to kill the opponent as quickly and as effortlessly as possible.

These two goals are not the same.

Obviously, IF I have been trained in one of the old schools where fighting to prove a point IS seen for the silly game it is, and IF I still live in an environment where survival may be questionable, THEN over and above my desire to use my skills to get by, there appears the need to somehow extend the senses.

The principal reason for extending the senses relates to not only avoiding the obvious, but also avoiding the not so obvious, and also avoiding the outcome of getting drawn into a situation where I kill or maim someone.

Bolds mine as I think it illustrates an important point about "powers" They appear, not as a side effect/adjunct, but as a result of training. Because they are needed, not because they are wanted.