Walking the lesser way

Keeping the Old, receiving the New

A Christian Daoist asks indulgence for intruding.  I have been a follower of the Christ for over 40 years; I never realized how closely the TaoTeChing walks with my traditional beliefs.  I must confess right from the start that the reason I have moved from an evangelical point of view to something more flexible.  For that reason, I can't subscribe to the idea of Taoist "scripture".  Since noone that I've read has been adamant enough to insist that Lao Tzu was under verbal plenary inspiration, I regard the TaoTeChing as a guide, rather than a series of commandments, no matter how subtle those commandments appear (e.g., stanza 27, my own personal favorite). 

• Like 4

Hello, Walking the lesser way, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Hi Walking,

Welcome... I am a fan of Jesus, too. And I find many parallels to Daoism too. Both are paths of the heart.  You'll be in good company here. Enjoy !

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

Hi Walking.  Welcome.

I have mentioned a couple times that I see no problem with a person holding to the Christian religion while also holding to Taoist Philosophy.

I'm sure you will feel welcome here.

• Like 3

On 11/3/2018 at 9:28 AM, Walking the lesser way said:

A Christian Daoist asks indulgence for intruding.  I have been a follower of the Christ for over 40 years; I never realized how closely the TaoTeChing walks with my traditional beliefs.  I must confess right from the start that the reason I have moved from an evangelical point of view to something more flexible.  For that reason, I can't subscribe to the idea of Taoist "scripture".  Since noone that I've read has been adamant enough to insist that Lao Tzu was under verbal plenary inspiration, I regard the TaoTeChing as a guide, rather than a series of commandments, no matter how subtle those commandments appear (e.g., stanza 27, my own personal favorite). 

I can't say that I know much about what it is like to come from an Evangelical point of view, but I still would say I'm in a similar boat as you.  I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian and find Laozi to be of tremendous help along the way.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:28 AM, Walking the lesser way said:

I would also agree that they work very well together.   Have you also ever read the Gospel of Thomas?

• Like 1

Hello, yes I am similar.
I have come to feel of late that all the big predictions statements and interpretations in Christianity are all in error .... it has become a boastful outer structure of the Christian culture that is quite far from JC's simple teachings.
There is a great deal of discussion in Christianity about the authenticity of the miracles and such things and which pope or deacon has real authority .... it's become quite a big game.
When what Jesus said was you should love the origin of your existence with all your heart mind and soul.  And that's it.
And who does ?
Few.   They are all still trying to intellectually convince themselves that he was the messiah because the miracles are authentic, but this has zero to do with spiritualtity for even if  you are "convinced" ... you still haven't felt surrendered  to of loved god.
Christianity is very strange because the more I read JC's actual words and remove the gigantic baggage, and just read, then he sounds like many a great sage.
With the only addition that he may have been sent deliberately.
Those are some of my feelings.

A good walker leaves no tracks;
A good speaker makes no slips;
A good reckoner needs no tally.
A good door needs no lock,
Yet no one can open it.
Good binding requires no knots,
Yet no one can loosen it.
Therefore the sage takes care of all 
men
And abandons no one.
He takes care of all things