Yonkon

New User here, music fanatic and also confused

31 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

I've known lots of pot smokers in my life, and not a one of them ever expressed experience of anything even remotely close to a kundalini awakening. I find it far more likely that a natural awareness of how past experience effected present circumstance was arising in the subconcious of the op, and finding expression in a way his conscious mind could become aware of. 

This (the awareness and unravelling of learned modes of thought) is natural when a certain ripeness (sometimes only regarding the specific learned thought patterns) is reached.

Yes, I have also rarely come across some one that complained of Kundalini energy issues, just because of weed.  Unless, it was used in combination with other drugs, including some prescription medications. Interactions can be unpredictable.

Mostly I have seen such complaints come from heavy or repetitive users of drugs like LSD and some types of mushrooms.  If it occurs due to ripeness or expansion of natural awareness, typically it results in a very pleasant experience, or may not even be noticed conciously if it is entirely smooth expansion, and I doubt it will result in a scary experience or cause any major concerns.

10 minutes ago, s1va said:

Yes, I have also rarely come across some one that complained of Kundalini energy issues, just because of weed.  Unless, it was used in combination with other drugs, including some prescription medications. Interactions can be unpredictable.

Mostly I have seen such complaints come from heavy or repetitive users of drugs like LSD and some types of mushrooms.  If it occurs due to ripeness or expansion of natural awareness, typically it results in a very pleasant experience, or may not even be noticed conciously if it is entirely smooth expansion, and I doubt it will result in a scary experience or cause any major concerns.

Even the sudden pleasant sensations can be both surprising, and later a bit confusing. 

18 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Even the sudden pleasant sensations can be both surprising, and later a bit confusing. 

Yes, that's possible.  But I am not sure if you are familiar with the type of confusion and concerns I am talking about, in relation to Kundalini and drugs.  They are a whole different category.  One just has to briefly look at  internet forums dedicated to yoga/raising Kundalini, etc. to notice what I am talking about, the concerns and  severe energetic misalignment resulting from drug use or abuse.

20 hours ago, ilumairen said:

In short, Yonkon, you're ok, and I'm serious about the water. 

Welcome to the bums.

:)

Thanks, hopefully tea will do the trick :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yonkon said:

Thanks, hopefully tea will do the trick :ph34r:

Yes, tea is good. Just keep yourself hydrated. 

And if there are further occurrences of intense meditation experiences, a diet heavy in protein, and interestingly enough the ingestion of caffeine may be beneficial to decrease the intensity of the experience. If you find it troubling. 

And the inverse also seems to hold.

Best wishes to you on your path. 

• Like 2

On 10/17/2018 at 2:58 PM, Marblehead said:

I don't even have an opinion.

I like you. You make me think of pu, or Pooh. This conversation in particular reminds me of Alan Watts talking about gurus and how they all hate each other, so one guru thinks,"well I'll outsmart them all!" And says,"I have no opinion on the other gurus. They are all equally valid." Thus still playing the game of the ego. The question is, if you had no opinion, would you have needed to write that? :)

However, what is faking it? In AA, they used to say,"fake it til you make it." Now they say, "act yourself into a new way of thinking, don't try to think yourself into a new way of acting." They call the mind in AA "the circus" "the carousel" or "the squirrel cage." So, if I walk like a sage, talk like sage, and act like a sage, even if I don't think like a sage, then what am I? 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2018 at 1:41 PM, s1va said:

Hi Yonkon,

Listening to music attentively or totally absorbed is a powerful spiritual practice in it's own right.  The Vijnana bhairava tantra describes several types of unconventional meditative techniques to make the mind see the reality.  One of them is to listen to music with complete attention.  

You say it didn't work so far.  Are you so sure?  Maybe it worked.  Kundalini is nothing to fear as long as it was not triggered by some drug use, or any type of dumb brute force methods.

Welcome to the community!  Look forward to hearing more from you in the discussions.

Regards,

S1va.

This interests me. I'm day 85/100 of my meditation/Qigong foundation, on on about day 35, I broke through a barrier listening to Tool while meditating. I still listen to them sometimes when I meditate, though I prefer just the normal sounds of my house/neighborhood, such as horns honking and dogs barking. I used to put on singing bowls to drown out sudden sounds, but now I find they help me grow.

Anyway, I like music about breathing and spiritual concepts, but I left Tool playing a few weeks ago, and a song came on, which, funnily enough, is about how pointless it is to take DMT and meet other beings who tell you secrets when you just come back and can't remember anything except that it happened. But I was like 30-40 minutes into my meditation, focusing on my breath, when I had sufficient energy, I began listening. I did not identify with the words at all. They don't conjur images or definitions or memories in my head. My body, however, seemed to remember the music, as it pulsed through my in alternating, undulating waves of chills and warmth, just continuously. We've all gotten chills from music, but this was like I could just tap in, take a breath, and experience them come on for the entire breath, in and out, an then two, and then three. 

From there was like.... Like a jumping off point. I don't know how to describe it. I lept into the infinite or something. I felt cradled in the bosom of my higher power, what some call the Divine feminine. I could visually see these things and feel them, feel out hearts beat as one, feel myself shrink and expand, almost like being drawn back into her vagina and into the womb, and then all the way into myself, and then giving birth to myself again in this kind of infinite, hall of mirrors, fractal type thing.... IDK.

I didn't think things like that were possible without drugs. I don't strive for them. I don't meditate to music often, but I am meditative while I play guitar. What are your personal experiences, S1va?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AugustGreig said:

So, if I walk like a sage, talk like sage, and act like a sage, even if I don't think like a sage, then what am I? 

Thanks.

So, yes, a lot of people will consider you a sage.  But other than stroking your ego, what value does that label have?

I have lots of opinions.  I'm sure you are already aware of that.  But there are some concepts I have not yet considered so in order to be honest I must admit that I have no opinion regarding whatever concept.

And it is important for us to remember that our opinion never creates a truth.  It's not always easy to find a truth but it is really rather easy to form an opinion.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Thanks.

So, yes, a lot of people will consider you a sage.  But other than stroking your ego, what value does that label have?

I have lots of opinions.  I'm sure you are already aware of that.  But there are some concepts I have not yet considered so in order to be honest I must admit that I have no opinion regarding whatever concept.

And it is important for us to remember that our opinion never creates a truth.  It's not always easy to find a truth but it is really rather easy to form an opinion.

Yes, we must speak from experience, not opinion. So, what value does the label have? Well, the same as any label. I often view "sage" as another way of saying "higher self", i.e., what would the best version of me do. So sage is a word that describes a set of behaviors which become a type of tool kit. I can't remember where I read it, I think in The Secret of the Golden Flower, but basically it says, if you take the description of the Sage from chapter 15 of Tao Te Ching, and try to emulate all of those characteristics, then you actually invoke, or embody the higher self. Basically, you are creating an environment in which the higher self would be comfortable in.

So does the label serve you? No, it would only serve the ego. But we need always love and be proud of ourselves. If the last hurdle you have to jump is letting go of spiritual desire, then you've come a long way. We all have. Because of we're here, we're doing something right.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AugustGreig said:

Yes, we must speak from experience, not opinion.

Excellent response.

For me to say anything more at the moment would be wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AugustGreig said:

This interests me. I'm day 85/100 of my meditation/Qigong foundation, on on about day 35, I broke through a barrier listening to Tool while meditating. I still listen to them sometimes when I meditate, though I prefer just the normal sounds of my house/neighborhood, such as horns honking and dogs barking. I used to put on singing bowls to drown out sudden sounds, but now I find they help me grow.

Anyway, I like music about breathing and spiritual concepts, but I left Tool playing a few weeks ago, and a song came on, which, funnily enough, is about how pointless it is to take DMT and meet other beings who tell you secrets when you just come back and can't remember anything except that it happened. But I was like 30-40 minutes into my meditation, focusing on my breath, when I had sufficient energy, I began listening. I did not identify with the words at all. They don't conjur images or definitions or memories in my head. My body, however, seemed to remember the music, as it pulsed through my in alternating, undulating waves of chills and warmth, just continuously. We've all gotten chills from music, but this was like I could just tap in, take a breath, and experience them come on for the entire breath, in and out, an then two, and then three. 

From there was like.... Like a jumping off point. I don't know how to describe it. I lept into the infinite or something. I felt cradled in the bosom of my higher power, what some call the Divine feminine. I could visually see these things and feel them, feel out hearts beat as one, feel myself shrink and expand, almost like being drawn back into her vagina and into the womb, and then all the way into myself, and then giving birth to myself again in this kind of infinite, hall of mirrors, fractal type thing.... IDK.

I didn't think things like that were possible without drugs. I don't strive for them. I don't meditate to music often, but I am meditative while I play guitar. What are your personal experiences, S1va?

In my experience, it need not be music, it can be anything, like the sound of the waves when we sit in a beach, or just the white noise from a fan or ventilator.  When we listen with entire attention, which means we are just one with the flows and in a residing state like Rigpa.  When we are in this state, one clue I can describe is the music or the sound will suddenly be louder and felt entirely.  There are generally no thoughts in the mind.

The experience that you described sounds like you may have had some kind of opening, while listening to music with attention.  Even a momentary silence for few seconds can possibly bring such energetic openings.  But when we truly continue to reside in the state of being and just listen, generally there are no experiences, except for the state of being which is one with the music and listening.  When the separation vanishes, that is when it is felt as louder or in a different pitch.  There is no observer experiencing other things separately at this point.

It can initially start as just for flash of a moment or few seconds.  As our clarity increases, and the mind gets calmer, the duration will keep increasing.

Best Wishes!

• Like 2