Sign in to follow this  
Hachuu

Hi hi! o/

Hi there! I'm Hachuu.

I came across this website as I was researching neidan, doing some googling and stuff :D. I was able to get my hands on some books regarding the practice, but me being a complete beginner I'm not sure what to make of their cryptic vocabulary choices or finding a place to start on my path to cultivating :wacko:. Some books I've come across were:

• Taoist Yoga by Charles Luk
  • The Way of Energy by Master Lam Kam-Chuen
  • Cultivating the Energy of Life by Eva Wong
  • The Tao of Health, Longevity, and Immortality by Eva Wong
  • Harmonizing Yin and Yang by Eva Wong
  • Chinese Shamanic Cosmic Orbit Qigong by Zhongxian Wu
  • Understanding Reality by Louis Chang
  • Xing Yi Nei Gong Health Maint. and Internal Strength Dev. by Dan Miller, Tim Cartmell

What do you guys think about any of these books for getting started? And do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks! :blush:

• Like 1

Hello, Hachuu, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Welcome Hachuu,

I've read a few of those, but don't have any starting point suggestions.  Can you tell us a bit about your goals? I'm sure you'll find lots of help on the forum...

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fa Xin said:

I've read a few of those, but don't have any starting point suggestions.  Can you tell us a bit about your goals? I'm sure you'll find lots of help on the forum...

Mmm! My goal is the spiritual immortality described in Taoist Yoga and other internal alchemy books & websites, via the embryo or fetus or something..

I think it will be a wonderful state to experience and be! :D

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

Hi Hachuu.  Welcome.

I'm sure you will get some responses to your questions.

Thanks, me too! :lol: Although the zhan zhuang book seems to be simple and easy to follow. Has pictures too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hachuu said:

Mmm! My goal is the spiritual immortality described in Taoist Yoga and other internal alchemy books & websites, via the embryo or fetus or something..

Thanks, me too! :lol: Although the zhan zhuang book seems to be simple and easy to follow. Has pictures too.

Yeah, books with pictures are always more interesting.

31 minutes ago, Hachuu said:

Yes, I imagine it would be wonderful to experience. 😊

My views differ from the Taoist Yoga book (and neidan in general). But I wish you good luck on your search!

First of all Welcome and gasundheit.

You've picked out some good solid books.  Instead of more, I suggest less. 

In the beginning this is a game of practice not knowledge.  Less theory, more doing.  Find a few good instructions of leveled practice, follow faithfully.   Preferably getting some feedback and instruction from live teachers, if possible. 

Perhaps in midpractice one should strive for the scholarly learnings of history and philosophy of Taoism, yet for the beginner, why get head heavy?  Keep it simple, practice. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thelerner said:

First of all Welcome and gasundheit.

You've picked out some good solid books.  Instead of more, I suggest less. 

In the beginning this is a game of practice not knowledge.  Less theory, more doing.  Find a few good instructions of leveled practice, follow faithfully.   Preferably getting some feedback and instruction from live teachers, if possible. 

Perhaps in midpractice one should strive for the scholarly learnings of history and philosophy of Taoism, yet for the beginner, why get head heavy?  Keep it simple, practice. 

Thanks!

Had to google what gesundheit was, and thanks! :lol: I studied computer science back in uni so I had to stick my head into books or watching many YouTube videos on the topic, not to mention the rest of other math and science courses needed as prereqs. I guess it is just a force of habit.

However it is such a strange feeling, because it feels incomplete when trying out to do the vague instructions without the in depth understanding of the materials. Also frustrating when wanting to know and understand something, but when reading it, the text makes no sense :angry:

:angery:

• Like 2

Yeah, the classical texts can feel poetic and cryptic.  Modern ones aren't necessarily better.  I wish it were closer to computer science, with clear instructions, some systems are closer to that.  Maybe that's the question that should be asked.  Not what's the most powerful or fastest system, rather which one is the most clear, ie step by step, saying which signs you need before getting to the next level. (heck, I'll make that into a post).

I'm from a martial arts background.  So, see then do, with very little instruction isn't too foreign for me.  I tend to do better with little bites and goals.  ie can getting to a 30/30 breath cycle, getting to 10in/40hold/20out cycle.  Counting breaths to 200..  kind of thing. Such physical mile stones seem easier to check off, then the mental and spiritual ones. 

Yeah I agree, but I guess for practices like these we just gotta feel it up and work based on that. And also read the same thing ten thousand times until the meaning comes naturally, haha :lol:

Chapter 7 of the Di Zi Gui:

840e96fdd5.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Hachuu
  • Like 2

On 2018/08/15 at 10:59 AM, Hachuu said:
  • Taoist Yoga by Charles Luk
  • The Way of Energy by Master Lam Kam-Chuen
  • Cultivating the Energy of Life by Eva Wong
  • The Tao of Health, Longevity, and Immortality by Eva Wong
  • Harmonizing Yin and Yang by Eva Wong
  • Chinese Shamanic Cosmic Orbit Qigong by Zhongxian Wu
  • Understanding Reality by Louis Chang
  • Xing Yi Nei Gong Health Maint. and Internal Strength Dev. by Dan Miller, Tim Cartmell

What do you guys think about any of these books for getting started? And do you guys have any recommendations?

Hi Hachuu and welcome :)

How does one "get started" or  maybe more pointedly phrased - "could you show me the way to the Way?" ... what a question; however not easily answered.

As a suggestion; at first, go slow, be sceptical but open to listen, be patient, be diligent with your practice - there is no one correct way. (agree with @theLearner - in the beginning less is more.)

i would suggest selecting a few books/research to give yourself a good understanding of the Daoist landscape. Language & terminology, philosophy, practices, rituals etc. are sometimes barriers to westerners - persevere!

Find a few authors, teachers, gurus (beware the snake oil) that know what they taking about and resonate with you!

From your book selection - my 2cents

*Chinese Shamanic Cosmic Orbit Qigong by Zhongxian Wu :

Zhongxian Wu i believe is the real deal. have read the book and it provides a sound approach and finer detail to performing this form of Qigong as well as some great bread crumbs to follow. It however will not provide yourself with a detailed understanding of the theoretical background of Neigong, Qigong, the Dao, etc which you may be seeking.

*Understanding Reality by Louis Chang:

i would rather suggest that you read an alternate translation by Fabrizio Pregadio - Awakening to Reality(Wuzhen pian) as he provides clear explanations for each of the poems allowing the reader to "decode" some of the - as you described - "cryptic vocabulary" :P

Some of my first introductory books  and authors
*Damo Mitchell - the philosophical art of change [Pub: singing dragon]

- Heavenly Streams - meridian theory

- White moon on the mountain peak - The Alchemical Firing Process of Nei Dan - (if you reading Awakening to Reality you'll understand the White moon reference :))

*The Mages of Java  - Costa Danaos - interesting side note - search documentary "Ring of Fire" & John Chang (Dynamo Jack) on youtube. I get a smell of blended fiction and non-fiction with this book - a great Sunday read however!

*Opening the Dragon Gate - Thomas Cleary  [pub: TUTTLE ]

*Lao Tzu - Dao de jing - challenging read - would park this until you get a handle on terminology, symbolism and basic philosophical understanding.

*Secret of the Golden Flower  (alt. Awakening to Reality or Sitting in Oblivion)- 2 versions offer a clear translation.

*Various other ancient daoist texts and canons - some of which are available on this site :)

authors to look out for i found to be useful:

Alan Watts

Alexandra David-Neel

Livia Kohn

Fabrizio Pregadio

Jerry Alan Johnson

Thomas Cleary

Damo Mitchell

Yang Jwing-Ming

.. many more :)

i hope this provides a small spring board ... and a point of departure in some direction.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice! I'll check those out.

By the way, may I ask how active are the chats? It seems like there is a slack chat and another chat that I think is on this website? Not sure which to use :wacko:

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2018 at 3:22 AM, Hachuu said:

Thanks for the advice! I'll check those out.

By the way, may I ask how active are the chats? It seems like there is a slack chat and another chat that I think is on this website? Not sure which to use :wacko:

The Slack chat is the only chat for TheDaoBums, as far as I know.  It's not as active as it used to be, but there's a few that still hang out there.  

4 hours ago, Fa Xin said:

The Slack chat is the only chat for TheDaoBums, as far as I know.  It's not as active as it used to be, but there's a few that still hang out there.  

Oh I see, there was a link that says "Invited Yourself to TDB Chat" so I assumed it was a chat that was available in the forums :lol:.

Thanks, I might check the Slack out... someday xD.

Sign in to follow this