Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Any Linux users out there?

I have an aging laptop. Its a nice small Sony w/ a small 10 inch screen. With a old celeron processor it runs slowly and then as time goes by it crawls til I wipe its memory, which speeds it up at first, then it gradually slows again as Windows fills its memory w/ crud.

I'm thinking of loading in Linux. Should be smaller faster and not accumulate the constant heebie jeebies that windows does.

Any thoughts on which version of Linux I should get? Any benefits or problems?

Thanks

Michael

Use to dual boot my previous pc with red hat. Had a lot of problems getting the modem to work (on board modem, no open source drivers) but that's all fixed now (I believe)

I would certainly go for it. Should make it a nice usable (and fast) web browser, and office suite machine.

Most of the Linux versions will install dual boot these days (I didn't buy Red Hat, just got a PC mag that had it for free on the CD)

Thanks Mal.

Hoping I'd find more users and opinions here. Haven't loaded it in yet. Still trying to decide between versions, Unbutu, Red Hat, Pandora. It probably doesn't matter. They're all available for the price of a cheap book, heck you can probably download'em for free, but I like having some paper documentation.

Michael

Thanks Smile, that decides it. I've been confusing myself looking and trying to compare all the different flavors of Linux. Unbutu seems to have the most support and best interface. Now I have to decide Unbutu or Kunbutu? :)

Michael

Thanks Smile, that decides it. I've been confusing myself looking and trying to compare all the different flavors of Linux. Unbutu seems to have the most support and best interface. Now I have to decide Unbutu or Kunbutu? :)

Michael

Also, i've used Mepis and it's pretty good as well.

Sign in to follow this