Sign in to follow this  
Aetherous

Ethical hedonism

I was just thinking yesterday...sometimes when we're on the spiritual path for a while, if we were sincere and full of passion for spiritual matters, we might no longer behave like normal human beings. Just being content in ourselves, we let things go, and don't seek after the same things others do. In some cases, this can lead to dissatisfaction with how life is going, due to that lack of drive (or due to our redirected drive).

At first when we start out on the path, we're gung ho about it, and maybe agree with the notion that selfish desires are bad...without really knowing what we're talking about. We agree that we need to starve the ego...that it's virtuous to deny ourselves everything for enlightenment. That it's good to stand apart from humanity and be pious.

But maybe these things aren't true. What if our friends and family want to see us earning good money to support ourselves, to be starting a relationship and family, to be respected in the world for our leadership, etc. A Confucian might say that we must have filial piety, and strive to respect the wishes of our family especially.

Basically...often our notions of spirituality might be a bit imbalanced, either due to how our culture views the subject, or due to our excessive passion directed toward that venue.

A more balanced perspective would be equally considerate of the mundane.

So, what if there's a virtuous type of hedonism? Or in other words - what if after a long time on the path, when it's no longer natural for you to care about worldly things, that it's actually important to start caring...that it's actually a form of cultivation to take care of yourself the same way normal people do? Making the spiritual path just one aspect of your life and who you are, rather than being all consuming.

Just some random thoughts the past two days.

• Like 2

The only people who like my chi kung are hedonistic chi junkies, they can become wizards, the rest drop out.  Sounds like a good plan to me..

I mean, if someone doesn't do their practice for enjoyment what good are they?

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is doing something because it's 'important' (or considered so, either by yourself, or others), a good idea? I mean, it almost sounds like it could be duty, something done grudgingly because you feel (or more accurately, think) it's the 'right' thing to do. That reminds me, when I first started Tai Chi, many many years ago, I was saying something about, a thing is right, because it feels right. Everyone laughed, but I think they missed the deeper meaning I was getting at.

Anyhow, is what you're doing congruent with who you are? Are the things you're doing, going to yield the kind of results you want to get?

Edited by cosmic4z
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Aetherous said:

I was just thinking yesterday...sometimes when we're on the spiritual path for a while, if we were sincere and full of passion for spiritual matters, we might no longer behave like normal human beings. Just being content in ourselves, we let things go, and don't seek after the same things others do. In some cases, this can lead to dissatisfaction with how life is going, due to that lack of drive (or due to our redirected drive).

At first when we start out on the path, we're gung ho about it, and maybe agree with the notion that selfish desires are bad...without really knowing what we're talking about. We agree that we need to starve the ego...that it's virtuous to deny ourselves everything for enlightenment. That it's good to stand apart from humanity and be pious.

If the 'ego' is as tricky as  we suspect ... such piousness may be just another trick  ? 

But maybe these things aren't true. What if our friends and family want to see us earning good money to support ourselves, to be starting a relationship and family, to be respected in the world for our leadership, etc. A Confucian might say that we must have filial piety, and strive to respect the wishes of our family especially.

Basically...often our notions of spirituality might be a bit imbalanced, either due to how our culture views the subject, or due to our excessive passion directed toward that venue.

'Spirituality'   imbalanced   by excessive cultural views and excessive passion  ( hmmmmm ....  'excessive'   anything  !  )

scaletowidth

A more balanced perspective would be equally considerate of the mundane.

So, what if there's a virtuous type of hedonism? Or in other words - what if after a long time on the path, when it's no longer natural for you to care about worldly things, that it's actually important to start caring...that it's actually a form of cultivation to take care of yourself the same way normal people do? Making the spiritual path just one aspect of your life and who you are, rather than being all consuming.

Just some random thoughts the past two days.

Good thoughts IMO .   We are 'in' the world , that doesnt mean  that the 'world', the 'mundane' or the 'everyday' are not spiritual things in themselves. 

You know, it might not be so much about what you are involved with, but your attitude about such things.

Sometimes one has to go 'far out' to get a perspective before we 'come back in' .

Out right rejection and aversion are signs of weakness and an indication that we cant really deal with the issue at hand .  

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Starjumper said:

The only people who like my chi kung are hedonistic chi junkies, they can become wizards, the rest drop out.  Sounds like a good plan to me..

I mean, if someone doesn't do their practice for enjoyment what good are they?

years ago a Hare Khrishna guy was trying to tell me how much he gave up to be on a spiritual path and how hard it was ; shaving his head, getting uo early every morning to chant - dietry restrictions, etc ... but he was sooooo dedicated !   (and 'pious'   :D   )

I laughed in his face .... "Why ...? "

" Dont tell me that !  You LOVE IT !   You LOVE chanting Khrishna , it gets you high, you like the food, you love walking down the street in robes and having people know you are different, you love the whole thing ....  you wouldnt have been attracted to it and kept doing it if you didnt . "

He laughed and fessed up  ....     you could see it ( the joy ) in his beamey little face  when he talked about it  ( Krishna) .    Good for him ! - but dont give me no 'sacrificial piousness' about it ! .

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this