Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

Using wing chun principles with a knife or a baton?

3 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I was going to say at least double arms length but seven is about the same.

Ya, seven feet is pushing it, but it's fun to see how far away you can be and still make it work.  We also practice punching someone (well, their hand) who is seven feet away and doing it so fast that they can't respond.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

Ya, seven feet is pushing it, but it's fun to see how far away you can be and still make it work.  We also practice punching someone (well, their hand) who is seven feet away and doing it so fast that they can't respond.

Yeah, the reason I like seven feet is that it means that an aggressor would have to take at least one step forward.  That's enough time for a defensive move.

14 hours ago, Marblehead said:

If you are that close to an opponent you might as well not have that weapon, any weapon.

What ?  You never been 'popped' in the forehead ?

:D

2 minutes ago, Nungali said:

What ?  You never been 'popped' in the forehead ?

:D

Nope.  And I'm too old now to be going to places where it could happen.  But things happen.  One never knows for sure.

10 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Oh, I'm with you.  I believe that a good defense eliminates nearly all needs of any kind of offense.  So, no, learning how to disarm someone who is armed with any kind of weapon is very important.

I just don't talk about individual methods.  I really don't want to be negating or promoting any specific method.  If it works, practice it and use it if necessary.

Yep , we practice that .   'Nobudhi Nogada and Oshimi Passai  forms are full of  such disarms (if you know how to 'read' the form )

The first move in Nobudhi  is against a   circular staff strike   ; move inside the arc, absorb the blow with palms, towards the middle, followed by an immediate flick in their eyeball, punch down through their hands to brake their grip, , circle up with a r shuto turning it over to a wrist lock while manipulating staff with other hand so the other end is between their legs ,  press staff down and lift wrist lock and they end up doubled over in standing positing with the staff now an making an elbow lock on one end and the other end pressing up into their  .....  ' margita gambolas  '   , a motion to kick makes them turn their face away (and usually try to shield with their free hand ) exposing the region just below the  ear and back of jaw for a big toe kick .

The whole thing is very fluid and doesnt use strength or force at all .

I also did a lot of 'weapon taking' in Aikido , but they dont seem to want to try it out in a free for all situation or with variation or 'tricks' ... that is the one with the weapon is REALLY trying to get the other ... not just 'offering' themselves up to do a  'disarm drill'  .

Hard to progress towards 'real' by doing that ^   ... it does look flashy  and efficient to some though   ;) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Starjumper said:

I won a few bets like that   :)

" I bet I can punch you from here ."

( I call it 'the flying oi tsuki )

10 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah, the reason I like seven feet is that it means that an aggressor would have to take at least one step forward.  That's enough time for a defensive move.

Ha har !  The 'secret ' of ' karate bunkais' 

or as I call them ;  1001 defences against oi tsuki   -  basically, they stand back one step in a deep , hard - to -  move -  quick -  from  - stance   and then have to do a giant step forward to get in range .

I like doing this ; face off in this (usual) position . I say  " Punch "   ... and as they start to move, I just turn and walk away . even fairly slowly , and I am way outta their range    . It mystifies them !    :D 

My God there is so much crap in karate !

I know .... I know ... one time some guy is gonna get me with a flying oi tsuki right in the back   :D  

serves me right for teasin them .... if they ever figure it out ! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Nope.  And I'm too old now to be going to places where it could happen.  But things happen.  One never knows for sure.

Kids used to love that ... get right up close with the pop gun and  ..... blam !     right in the head .... when you couch napping .  :D 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's easy to hit someone on the head when they aren't looking.  A little more difficult when they are awake, paying attention, and know how to counter.

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah, it's easy to hit someone on the head when they aren't looking.  A little more difficult when they are awake, paying attention, and know how to counter.

with 3 yo boy twins ... they wait  and lurk  ... then strike in unison  !       :D 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this