Lost in Translation

The role of probability

Since we've been discussing probability a lot around here I figured it would be worthwhile to put the question of probability to the I Ching itself. Here is the response.

QUESTION

What role does Probability (chance) play in divination?

Yarrow stalk results

Position     Raw    Converted    Number    Line            
6                 588     322                7                 ---
5                 548     332                8                 - -
4                 588     322                7                 ---
3                 948     232                7                 ---
2                 584     323                8                 - -
1                 548     332                8                 - -

HEXAGRAM
56. ䷷ Traveler/Wanderer: Difficulty while traveling. Remain steadfast and upright.

NUCLEAR HEXAGRAM
28. ䷛ Preponderance of the Great: A great weight has accumulated. The time has come to move.

COMPONENT HEXAGRAMS

Component hexagrams are built from the converted yarrow stalk values. For example the 332 in position 1 and the 323 in position 2 are converted into a hexagram by replacing 3 with a yang line and 2 with a yin line. 332,323 becomes yang-yang-yin,yang-yin-yang, or 38 , Opposition/Diversity.

HEAVEN
54. ䷵ Marrying Maiden: A time of caution. Misfortune moving forward.

MAN
40. ䷧ Deliverance/Relief: Rest or move forward, according to the demands of the time.

EARTH
38. ䷥ Opposition/Diversity: Small things bring fortune.

INTERPRETATION

This question was framed within the context of the I Ching so it is really asking what the role of probability plays within divination via the Oracle.

To answer this question I first look at the roles of the individual hexagrams corresponding to the digrams of heaven, man and earth. This shows an interesting response.

Heaven represents the marrying maiden. The marrying maiden is the second wife, prized by her husband but required to live under the scrutiny of the husband's first wife. As such her position is delicate. Her success depends upon her ability to navigate the subtle politics of the household.

Man represents deliverance or relief. His task is to either remain still or to move as the demands dictate. A false move brings disaster. 

Earth represents opposition or diversity. It is something that resists us, challenges us. Against the earth we cannot take large actions but we can and should take small actions.

We can see these forces working together. Earth opposing man and heaven seeking to help man, but restrained by the demands of protocol. Man seeks to know correct action, either movement or rest, so that he may avoid suffering.

Which brings me to the 56 ䷷ Traveler/Wanderer, the generated hexagram, and 28 ䷛ Preponderance of the Great, its nuclear element.

Starting with the nuclear hexagram (28 ䷛ Preponderance of the Great) we discover that a great weight (or pressure, or power) has accumulated and the time has come for movement. That weight, once it begins to move will carry a powerful influence so it behooves us to choose very wisely how to direct it.

The generated hexagram (56 ䷷ Traveler/Wanderer) shows the traveler on his journey. Traveling is difficult and is not to be taken lightly. While traveling one must remain vigilant, steadfast and upright. Since one is a stranger, if one is too harsh then one risks harm, but if one is too weak then one also risks harm. The middle ground is required.

So what does this have to do with the role of Probability?

Probability (via the I Ching) is the means by which heaven, in the role of the marrying maiden, assists man to skillfully navigate the hardships presented by the earth and to overcome the trials of his journey.

There. Question answered. :)

• Thanks 1

The way you turn the yarrow numbers from each line into trigrams was first described by Zhang Li 張理 in his Yixiang Tushuo Neipian 易象圖說外篇 (1364) and I mention it in my Dutch book De I Tjing stap voor stap. But it never occurred to me that you can combine these trigrams to hexagrams and link them to the sancai 三才. That's just......brilliant. :)

• Thanks 1