Sign in to follow this  
Geof Nanto

Thanks, Like, Haha, Sad, Confused.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:13 PM, liminal_luke said:

If I had my druthers, we`d go back to a simple "like" and that`s it.  Better yet, people would write out what they like (or find true, funny, or confusing) and just make their appreciation part of the conversation.  The whole business of rewarding people with likes that can be counted and categorized and awarded gold stars is a little suspect.  Our worth as Bums -- not to mention people -- should not be condensed down to a statistic based upon the clicking behavior of our fellows.  

Each of us bring our own unique beauty (and sometimes ugliness) to this board, and none of it can be summed up neatly with any kind of symbol.  I feel good when I write something that a lot of people click "like" to.  Sometimes I feel bad if I write something I like and it doesn`t get clicked.  I`ll even make note of the clicking behavior of other bums and allow my observations to effect how much emotional weight I give a given click; if I notice that a bum has "liked" the majority of posts in a given thread then it doesn`t mean much to me if they also like mine.  How messed up is all this?  Well, I`ll tell ya: it`s very messed up.

We are so much more than our history of being liked or not being liked suggests.  Some Bums are deeply soulful and philosophic.  Some hilarious.  Some astound with specialized knowledge on particular topics.  There`s no button in the world that can express what this site, and the people in it, have meant to me.

I did not 'like' that post... but I do!

Well said, Luke

I greatly appreciate and value your candor and vulnerability.

It is wonderful to have you here!

_/\_

Back to the OP, I've shared Yueya's feelings about the trophy since it first popped up.

If these emojis must stay, I would opt for praying hands over the gold cup...

• Like 2

Then there's the Haha emoticon, which is great for two different purposes the way I see it.

The more obvious one I guess is when someone makes a funny that makes you laugh.  The other, more obscure one, is that if someone writes something that is serious to them just about the most insulting thing you can do is laugh at them. A great trolling tool that gets you under the rules.   So, dual meanings from only one emoticon.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, steve said:

If these emojis must stay, I would opt for praying hands over the gold cup...

Now that's a very interesting idea :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this