Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Zoroastrianism

13 minutes ago, moment said:

In some of the older Zoroastrian documents they mention earth being in three layers.  The first layer is the crust, the second is a fiery hell but, i can't find anything about what the third layer is.  Does anyone here know?

What's the source?    It sounds like an early version of what I posted above about how some see the elements .

The modern classification is crust mantle core ..... did they have a core concept ?     :unsure:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nungali said:

that such dualism was inserted via western interpretations and understandings.  The stronger dualism seems to come from a latter time. 

The early dualism seems to relate to a human propensity of the 'mind' ... to go or do good or bad .  . . .   or , more precisely , to develop as Vohu or Angra  (see how quickly we can slip into using our own words and concepts when we translate ! ) 

Yeah, I like that.

6 minutes ago, Nungali said:

What's the source?    It sounds like an early version of what I posted above about how some see the elements .

The modern classification is crust mantle core ..... did they have a core concept ?     :unsure:

It seems to come from a book called Pahlavi? I don't see anything about a core though.

21 minutes ago, moment said:

Yeah, I like that.

It seems obvious ......  'naturally' there is no good or bad or  'evil'    there is only what we see as good or beneficial to us personally and  within our own our socio-cultural system.

This is clear in such books as the Zoroastrian Vendidad  where different countries are listed along with their good and beneficial qualities and their 'evil' ones like ;  a land of storms and floods, or  a land with  many biting insects ,   or snakes, etc .  Anything that threatened the good order of their particular  society and what they held sacred . As was the case in the ancient world such forces and many others were personified ... in this case as attributes of 'Ahriman' .     Like ..... Ahura Mazda comes along and makes a beautiful country with green grass, fresh streams and dots it with cattle . Then Ahriman comes along after him and drops nasty  slimy mud dwelling fish in the water,  and sprinkles the grass with cattle diseases .   ... thats the sort of 'fairy tale' version .

(This is common with many belief systems, there is a simplistic level for the masses and  children etc . and more complex and revealing ones for those with the capacity.  This is even evident in Australian Aboriginal teachings ... most of what white people get here is the kindergarten level .  People that show wisdom development and understanding are given the higher or more complex meanings, and initiates, higher still .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, moment said:

It seems to come from a book called Pahlavi? I don't see anything about a core though.

If you can tell me reference so I can read it I might be able to tell more . or quote the passage here . Its a concept I am not otherwise (than what I wrote above )  familiar with .

Pahlarvi is a language, dynasty , script,  type of recension  of a collection of  Zoroastrian books .  It represents 'one school of '  (sorta ) Zoroastrian beliefs.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this