(samtana) in the TA.

because the notions of 'self and 'other' are equally imaginary, howsoever many
become united with the teacher, he forms a single self with all of them and, as
such, is called "perfected one" (siddha) and "liberated one."

Abhinavagupta continues:

The group that is constituted by the teacher, the teacher's wife, the brothers,
and sons is not generated by a connection of blood, but rather a connection of
consciousness.

This larger consciousness-group is experienced during the group ritual.

In a revealing passage Abhinavagupta says:

Consciousness, which is composed of all things, enters into a state of contraction
due to the differences generated by separate bodies, but it returns to a state of
oneness, to a state of expansion, when all of its components are able to reflect
back on each other. The totality of our own rays of consciousness are reflected
back one on the other when, overflowing in the individual consciousness of all
present as if in so many mirrors, and without any effort whatsoever in an intense
fashion, it becomes universal.

For this reason, when a group of people gather
together during the performance of a dance or of song, etc., there will be true
enjoyment when they are concentrated and immersed in the spectacle all together
and not one by one. Consciousness which is overflowing with bliss, even when
considered individually, attains in these spectacles a state of unity and, because
of that, a state of full and perfect blissfulness. The absence of causes of contraction
such as jealousy, hate, etc., allows consciousness in such moments
fully to expand without obstacles in a fullness of bliss, but if even one of those
present is not concentrated and absorbed, then consciousness remains offended
as at the touch of a surface full of depressions and protuberances because he
stands out there as a heterogeneous element. This is the reason why during the
rites of adoration of the circle (cakra) one must remain attentive and not allow
anyone to enter whose consciousness is in a dispersed state and not concentrated
and absorbed, because he will be a source of contraction. In the practice of
the circle (cakra) one must adore all the bodies of all those present because
since they have all penetrated in the fullness of consciousness they are in reality
as if they were our own body. If through some negligence a stranger succeeds
in entering, the initiated ritual may proceed together with him provided that
he does not enter in a state of contraction. Such a one, if divine grace falls upon
him, will become concentrated and absorbed with the various rituals, but if
he is struck by a sinister and malevolent power of the Lord, he will criticize
the group.

• Like 4

Any thoughts or comments?

How about when he mentions “because the notions of 'self and 'other' are equally imaginary, howsoever many
become united with the teacher, he forms a single self with all of them”.

or

“the circle (cakra) one must adore all the bodies of all those present because
since they have all penetrated in the fullness of consciousness they are in reality as if they were our own body.”

On 4/12/2018 at 11:47 AM, Jonesboy said:

If through some negligence a stranger succeeds

in entering, the initiated ritual may proceed together with him provided that
he does not enter in a state of contraction. Such a one, if divine grace falls upon
him, will become concentrated and absorbed with the various rituals, but if
he is struck by a sinister and malevolent power of the Lord, he will criticize
the group.

How does the above align with the bit you highlighted?

"because the notions of 'self and 'other' are equally imaginary"

It’s kinda like just because you feel energy it doesn’t mean everyone does.

You have to be open to it. If someone comes in not believing, totally against the idea, practices, etc. chances are they won’t experience anything and will just disparage the practice because they feel nothing from it. Were against the idea to begin with.

I have seen this a few times myself.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jonesboy said:

It’s kinda like just because you feel energy it doesn’t mean everyone does.

You have to be open to it. If someone comes in not believing, totally against the idea, practices, etc. chances are they won’t experience anything and will just disparage the practice because they feel nothing from it. Were against the idea to begin with.

I have seen this a few times myself.

I think this section is saying a bit more on the topic.  In such a KS ritual, you need to remember that it is a guru to group of students practice.  As the text states...

In the practice of the circle (cakra) one must adore all the bodies of all those present because since they have all penetrated in the fullness of consciousness they are in reality as if they were our own body.

The guru is connecting the entire group of participants, sort of like setting up a daisy chain of connections within "Self".  In such a situation, all of the members are affected by the underlying energy/light.  If any one of the members becomes overwhelmed and pulls back (contracts energetically), the entire chain will crash within the space of such a KS guru.  Also, the "malevolent power" is really just an energy overload that causes someone to freak out a little.

p.s. A similiar practice based upon an emptiness (rather than Self) framework, does not crash the entire chain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I think this section is saying a bit more on the topic.  In such a KS ritual, you need to remember that it is a guru to group of students practice.  As the text states...

In the practice of the circle (cakra) one must adore all the bodies of all those present because since they have all penetrated in the fullness of consciousness they are in reality as if they were our own body.

The guru is connecting the entire group of participants, sort of like setting up a daisy chain of connections within "Self".  In such a situation, all of the members are affected by the underlying energy/light.  If any one of the members becomes overwhelmed and pulls back (contracts energetically), the entire chain will crash within the space of such a KS guru.  Also, the "malevolent power" is really just an energy overload that causes someone to freak out a little.

p.s. A similiar practice based upon an emptiness (rather than Self) framework, does not crash the entire chain.

Thank you,

I felt I was missing something but couldn’t put my finger on it.

• Like 2