Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Mair 14:7

Confucius said to Old Longears, "I have been studying the six classics - the Odes, Documents, Ritual, Music, Changes, and Spring and Autumn Annals - for what I myself would consider a long time and I know their contents thoroughly.  I have discussed the ways of the former kings with seventy-two {{A mystical number (tied to astronomy and the calendar) that was broadly current throughout Europe and Asia in ancient times.}} villainous rulers and have explained the achievements of dukes Chou and Shao, {{Two dukes who assisted King Wu in establishing the Chou dynasty.  The former is the famous Duke of Chou who was held up as a paragon by Confucius.}} but not a single ruler has employed me.  How very difficult it is to convince men and to explain the Way!"

"It's fortunate, sir, that you didn't encounter a ruler who could govern the world!" said the Old Master.  "The six classics are the stale traces of the former kings, but they do not tell what created the traces!  Now, sir, what you talk about are traces.  Traces, however, are produced by shoes; they're not the shoes themselves!

"A pair of white egrets look at each other with motionless pupils and fertilization takes place.  A male insect chirps from an air current above, a female answers from below, and fertilization takes place.  The hermaphrodite is both male and female, hence fertilization takes place by itself.  One's nature cannot be changed; destiny cannot be altered; time cannot be stopped; the Way cannot be blocked.  If one attains the Way, there's nothing one cannot achieve.  If one loses the Way, there's nothing one can achieve."

Confucius did not go outside for three months after this until he went to see Old Longears again and said, "I've finally got it!  Birds brood, fish milt, the solitary wasp transmutes, and when a new baby boy is born the older brother cries because he can no longer share the teat.  I have long been a man who has not shared in evolution.  But how can a man who does not share in evolution help other men to evolve?"

"All right, Hillock," said the Old Master.  "You've finally got it!"
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

good for him. this gentle reader did not

The nature of man cannot be changed.

• Like 1

I dunno. For me it goes to the Christ = Laozi = Mithra = Krishna = Buddha etc etc. If Christ is alive, look to him (if you must), and don't expect to find life in the manuscripts from his previous lives.

• Like 2

True enough  But the wisdom in words is still there.  We take the wisdom from the words and apply that wisdom to our own life.

On 4/9/2018 at 3:29 PM, nestentrie said:

(if you must), and don't expect to find life in the manuscripts from his previous lives.

"There is a great deal of material in what you have just said," said G., "but this material must be elaborated. If you can find out how to elaborate the material that you have now, you will understand a great deal that has not occurred to you till now. For example, take note that time is different in different cosmoses. And it can be calculated exactly, that is, it is possible to establish exactly how time in one cosmos is related to the time of another cosmos.

"I will add only one thing more:

"Time is breath—try to understand this."

He said nothing further.

Later on one of G.'s Moscow pupils added to this that, speaking with them once of cosmoses and of different time in different cosmoses, G. had said that the sleep and waking of living beings and plants, that is, twenty-four hours or a day and night, constitute the "breath of organic life."

• Like 1

"THE Spring and Autumn Annals" - "Chunqiu" in Chinese - is the official chronicle of the State of Lu during the period 722-481 BC. It is widely believed that this book, the earliest Chinese historical text written as annals, was authored by the great thinker Confucius (551-479 BC).

Accordingly, it is listed as one of the "Five Classics of Chinese Literature," the principle texts for Confucian studies. The others are: "Shi" ("Book of Songs"), "Shu" ("Book of History"), "Li" ("Book of Rites") and "Yi" ("Book of Change"), all thought to be written and edited by Confucius.

?

• Like 1

not really authored.

This was due to Mencius' assertion in the 4th century BC that Confucius himself edited the Annals, an assertion which was accepted by the entire Chinese scholarly tradition and went almost entirely unchallenged until the early 20th century.[3] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_and_Autumn_Annals

More like researched, edited and arranged.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this