Buddy

Question about questions

This is a legitimate question so I hope you'll bear with me.

What are your top five questions you might have about qigong, taiji, bagua, and/or xingyi?

This is a legitimate question so I hope you'll bear with me.

What are your top five questions you might have about qigong, taiji, bagua, and/or xingyi?

Good question.

1. What are the possible advantages and disadvantages of studying and practicing one style in depth all your life vs. "collecting styles?"

2. Elaborate on the yao?

3. What practice is conductive to developing muscles over the kidneys?

4. Elaborate on the "whole body is a hand?" (Technical details please.)

5. Why do they keep saying that Chinese MA are for self-defense, not for attack, while the central taoist classic on the Art of War, Sun Tzu, has nothing to say about defense and is completely and utterly offense- and attack-oriented?

let me give it a shot, please

1. what is the difference between digging one single hole to make a fountain and get water, and digging multiple little holes hoping you will find the water thread only a couple of centimeters beneath the soil

2. very much like to know that too

3. i think it is called dao yin, and it was directly concerned with building the back part of the body. although dao yin is a very general concept, there are masters that summed up specific complexes of exercises dedicated to that particular purpose...

4. it is not technical, it is only a feeling, the same ability to move, contract and relax, every little muscle of the body, as easy as if it was your hand. for the body to aquire.... dexterity?

5. thats a simple one, because the best defence is a good ofence

now please allow me to make my interrogations also

1. what is qi

2. what is jing

3. what is the elixir

4. why is the elixir so difficult to move in the orbit

5. if you solidify the dan, is it possible to turn it liquid again

Here are a few - more spur of the moment than thoughtfully considered...

1. Does style matter in the martial arts from a combat perspective?

Elaboration - do all styles lead to the same ultimate point as is claimed, is it more a matter of the quality of the student? quality of the teacher? quality of training regimen? all of the above? We all have opinions but if the answer were knowable, I'd be interested...

2. What is the true origin of taijiquan?

3. Did xingyiquan really come from spear fighting techniques?

4. What would it be like to have studied taiji since early childhood?

5. What is the nature of the transformation that occurs during iron palm/shirt training from an anatomic/physiologic perspective?

Extra credit question for xingyi practitioners - Why does it hurt when I pi? :)

Sorry, I love that line, couldn't help myself...

Good question.

1. What are the possible advantages and disadvantages of studying and practicing one style in depth all your life vs. "collecting styles?"

Hmmm. I think it depends on one's intent. If striving to be an all around fighter, many styles ignore some aspects of fighting. In bagua, Yin tends to striking, Cheng to throwing. Most styles ignore the ground game.

2. Elaborate on the yao?

"Yao" is lower back. Sometimes translated as waist.

3. What practice is conductive to developing muscles over the kidneys?

Why would you want this? Waist twisting I suppose.

4. Elaborate on the "whole body is a hand?" (Technical details please.)

I'm not certain what technical details you'd like. It means whole body power, that any part of the body can be used to issue power.

5. Why do they keep saying that Chinese MA are for self-defense, not for attack, while the central taoist classic on the Art of War, Sun Tzu, has nothing to say about defense and is completely and utterly offense- and attack-oriented?

I'm not certain I'd consider the Sun-tzu "taoist." I'm not certain who "they" are. Sometimes it's best to attack first, although it might trick things up legally.

1. what is qi

2. what is jing

3. what is the elixir

4. why is the elixir so difficult to move in the orbit

5. if you solidify the dan, is it possible to turn it liquid again

This is alchemy, not taiji.

The most important question..

what time is practice? (i think i got that from robert smith's book)

:lol:

7pm B)

Here are a few - more spur of the moment than thoughtfully considered...

1. Does style matter in the martial arts from a combat perspective?

Elaboration - do all styles lead to the same ultimate point as is claimed, is it more a matter of the quality of the student? quality of the teacher? quality of training regimen? all of the above? We all have opinions but if the answer were knowable, I'd be interested...

Not all systems focus on the same things. Ultimately it comes down to the individual practitioner.

2. What is the true origin of taijiquan?

I believe Chen village.

3. Did xingyiquan really come from spear fighting techniques?

It appears so.

4. What would it be like to have studied taiji since early childhood?

If it were me I would have to be Chinese. It wasn't available in the 50s- early 60s to Occidentals.

5. What is the nature of the transformation that occurs during iron palm/shirt training from an anatomic/physiologic perspective?

Dale Dugas would know this.

Extra credit question for xingyi practitioners - Why does it hurt when I pi? :)

Sorry, I love that line, couldn't help myself...