morning dew

Eight pieces of brocade vs (BKF's) Dragon and Tiger medical qigong?

I've been doing eight pieces of brocade in the mornings for a few years. I mainly learnt it off videos with the odd bit of instruction here and there in an actual lesson. 

A couple of months ago I showed my tai chi teacher this and he showed me BKF's medical Dragon and Tiger qigong form. We could see a few similarities such as glaring eyes, heel stamps and the ways the arms were waving. On the other hand, I noticed there were things such as moving hands/fingers through the aura that didn't seem to be present in the eight brocades.

I was thinking of switching and asking him to teach me BKF's medical qigong form, mainly so I could have real life instruction on a medical form. 

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two forms? I know they're both medical forms and work on unblocking the main channels going through the organs. However, Dragon and Tiger seems to have extra stuff in it?

Edited by morning dew
  • Like 1

I dont have any direct experience with dragon tiger qigong but iv heard really great things about it.i would say sure ask him to teach you it and see how it compares, you could do both if you have the time too. Its always nice to have a teacher explaining and correcting every little thing when your learning something new because no bad habbits set in. My teacher actually had to correct quite a few mistakes i was unaware of on the brocades at first, because i also learned them from videos before i found my teacher. Let us know how you like it!

• Like 2

On 21/09/2017 at 1:16 AM, Seatle185 said:

I dont have any direct experience with dragon tiger qigong but iv heard really great things about it.i would say sure ask him to teach you it and see how it compares, you could do both if you have the time too. Its always nice to have a teacher explaining and correcting every little thing when your learning something new because no bad habbits set in. My teacher actually had to correct quite a few mistakes i was unaware of on the brocades at first, because i also learned them from videos before i found my teacher. Let us know how you like it!

Thanks. :) I managed to get a whole class by myself last Thursday, so I asked him to show me the first movement (out of seven). It's quite complicated, more complicated than the version of the eight pieces of brocades that I do – there seems to be active work on channels, along with visualisations.

On the first movement, the hand's fingers are pointing to the outer side of the foot and then wrap around the thigh to the inner side. From there, as the palm moves up and into the side over the kwa, you imagine a white line, shooting from the fingers, going up the the channel of the inside thigh. Then, you switch focus to the Laugong point of the palm, and go up and down the right-hand channel of the torso (with the right hand) with the Laugong point going through it (and the left-hand channel with the left-hand). You have to have the hand away from the body at least a fist or two so that you're skimming the surface of the aetheric field (or aura or whatever you call it).

Below, 20–40 seconds is this first movement. Before that is something called preparation, I think (it looks like pulsing LDT, perhaps – I think that comes along later as well):

I had a few more thoughts, but I'll leave it there for the moment to see if anybody wants to throw in any opinions on the differences. At the moment, I've cut back to 3 reps of the Eight Pieces of Brocades as a little warmup, and then do other stuff later on in the morning workout.

• Like 2

I learned the eight pieces brocade from dr Yang jwing ming. This above form looks like it has a different strategy than the eight pieces. The eight pieces is designed to stimulate the circulation in the internal organs. The movements are more fluid. I see that some of the movements in the video are reminiscent of tai chi qigong, even having the hands in the tai chi sword shape. Looks like it could be very good if it were done properly. 

• Like 1

On 29/11/2017 at 5:52 PM, taichiwhitey said:

I learned the eight pieces brocade from dr Yang jwing ming. This above form looks like it has a different strategy than the eight pieces. The eight pieces is designed to stimulate the circulation in the internal organs. The movements are more fluid. I see that some of the movements in the video are reminiscent of tai chi qigong, even having the hands in the tai chi sword shape. Looks like it could be very good if it were done properly. 

Thanks for the input. :)

I think it's interesting, but I ended up taking on too much and I've dropped it now. I've basically stuck with the eight pieces. Have you been doing his version for long? Did you find any decent benefits from it?

• Like 1