Sign in to follow this  
steve

Holy Mountain Revelation

Alejandro Jodorowsky is my favorite director. I've watched crappy prints of The Holy Mountain for years. It's recently been rereleased, remastered, and released with remastered copies of several other of his films (El Topo, Fando y Lis, and La Cravate (basically a filmed mime routine). I just bought and watched the whole series.

This version of The Holy Mountain is a revelation to fans of the film (as is El Topo) and should be watched by anyone interested in an individual's spiritual quest documented in film.

It even has a soundtrack of Jodorowsky talking you through the film's creation (in Espanol but English subtites are available). My single favorite movie - but it's definitely not for everyone. Anyone else like or hate it?

• Like 1

I was just going to list the film El Topo in the "Resources" section, and looked up Jodorowsky in the search engine and found this message which no one responded to. I agree with Steve that the Holy Mountain is an amazing movie. Personally I liked El Topo even more. I can't recommend both of these films highly enough. There is an interview with Jodorowsky with clips from these films at:

Alejandro Jodorowsky - Abkco Films

Two other films from the same time period that I love are Performance by Donald Cammel and Nicholas Roeg, and Roeg's Walkabout. They deal with somewhat similar themes, although in a less extreme manner than Jodorowsky.

Does anyone have any other favorite films along these lines?

The Holy Mountain is one of my all time favorites.

Guy Ritchies film -Revolver- Although quite different is probably my Favorite movie ever.

A spiritual oddesy crossed with a gangster film. It almost didnt get released as it was so over the heads of the first screen viewers and the critics trashed it.

Anyone seen Revolver? The main actor Is the guy who plays Turkish from 'Snatch'

Seth.

• Like 1

Loved every second of it, a great film. It has not-so-subtle allegories about the science & art of initiation coupled together with a surreality that places the viewer in an altered state, as if we ourselves are part of the initiation.

Jodorowsky has a brilliant mind. You can read a review for it here...

http://366weirdmovies.com/the-holy-mountain-1973/

BTW this is a wonderful web site. Find something that piques your interest, couple it with a good torrent app... sorted for months :)

Sign in to follow this