Sign in to follow this  
samuel.savage

Fascinated by Taoism, slowly building discipline

9 pound hammer is a great tune!  "will jam for enlightenment"

jing, qi and shen... 

what exactly is the essence and function of these in the body, also in the mind and what is their prabhav, or subtle function?   

without grasping at them, perhaps they would support the dissolving!

(please forgive my ignorance, i will try to be a fast learner!)

Edited by onelotus

Marblehead, your mantra is incomplete... add 'hum', 'isvaha' or 'svaha' or something like that to your Om teehee to complete the 'magical' word-power formula, and wahlah! You have an enlightening mantra (from Laughing Yoga?). Using a physical object like a 9 pound hammer to smash the cyclical existence, (which is) a cosmic process? This method is practical to release the Self from the pull of gravity. Can try to smash samsara. And i suppose criminal charge may ensue and of course, a new stream of karma.  Hmm, don't think such schemes will work. 'Jam for enlightenment'? Ah, yes, this was tried extensively in the 60's, and many brilliant minds of the flower people were blown, now in the 21st Century, many young people were getting deaf... too much jamming perhaps; and young lives wasted, too much of enlightenment... too much lights in their minds. Incidentally, in the extension of the third precept, The Buddha did warn against frivolous speech, but i suppose putting in some thoughts to frivolous speech can be beneficial sometimes.

• Like 1

om teehee svaha, with rice throwing

there is nothing more beneficial for speech than to speak of these things to encourage each other, teach each other and give feedback and support.  samsara is still full of gunk and nirvana and the Kingdom of Heaven, closer still than our breaths.  may we all pop open together!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sudhamma said:

'Jam for enlightenment'? Ah, yes, this was tried extensively in the 60's, and many brilliant minds of the flower people were blown,

made me lolololol!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, onelotus said:

om teehee svaha, with rice throwing

there is nothing more beneficial for speech than to speak of these things to encourage each other, teach each other and give feedback and support.  samsara is still full of gunk and nirvana and the Kingdom of Heaven, closer still than our breaths.  may we all pop open together!

If we look and take a leaf out of the Zen (or Ch'an) practice of indirect questioning, then you are very right, but then, it should be purposeful. Those 'koans' seems nonsensical on the surface, but forces the student to think outside the 'box'. Try not to throw perfectly good rice away, can't feed hungry mouths (pretas or humans) this way...try using mudras for pretas and proper gifts of rice for poverty-strickened families? Om teehee svaha! A different dimension of LOL.

Marblehead is correct to state that Buddhism attract some people, well at least not him. Buddhism is only one pathway out of many and appeals to some people who are attracted to the Middle Path in between two extreme "philosopical" ideologies of theology and nihilism. If all roads lead to Rome, then all spiritual paths will lead across to the other shore. The difference is to the type of 'vehicle' and its speed that one uses to cross that ocean of samsara. There was once that I attended a bible-study cell and the cell leader spoke of going to Heaven together hand-in-hand. Immediately I said to the group that that was impossible. If I had known of Marblehead's mantra then, I would have exclaimed "Om teehee svaha!" there and then. Don't think those people could be any wiser.

Om teehee svaha! And don't throw rice (in some countries, that's is littering and the authorities will impose a fine plus community work).

Edited by Sudhamma
  • Like 1

Hi Sudhamma,

You are the perfect 9-pound hammer to reduce Marblehead to bite size pieces for cooking with the thrown rice.

Don't eat the head; its content is contentious, contagious and transmittable.

- LimA

• Like 3

6 hours ago, onelotus said:

jing, qi and shen... 

what exactly is the essence and function of these in the body...?

Hi onelotus,

Jing = hook, qi = line and shen = sinker. Got it?

Don't be a tasteless Daoist Bun (as in sweet lotus buns).

Use jing, qi and shen to fish for the answer at the forum. Understand?

Tee Hee Haw - 

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct typo error.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sudhamma said:

Marblehead, your mantra is incomplete... add 'hum', 'isvaha' or 'svaha' or something like that to your Om teehee to complete the 'magical' word-power formula, and wahlah! You have an enlightening mantra (from Laughing Yoga?). Using a physical object like a 9 pound hammer to smash the cyclical existence, (which is) a cosmic process? This method is practical to release the Self from the pull of gravity. Can try to smash samsara. And i suppose criminal charge may ensue and of course, a new stream of karma.  Hmm, don't think such schemes will work. 'Jam for enlightenment'? Ah, yes, this was tried extensively in the 60's, and many brilliant minds of the flower people were blown, now in the 21st Century, many young people were getting deaf... too much jamming perhaps; and young lives wasted, too much of enlightenment... too much lights in their minds. Incidentally, in the extension of the third precept, The Buddha did warn against frivolous speech, but i suppose putting in some thoughts to frivolous speech can be beneficial sometimes.

Marblehead is incomplete.  Still evolving.  Complete is when death happens.  Then a new, ..., whatever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi onelotus,

Jing = hook, qi = line and shen = sinker. Got it?

Don't be a tasteless Daoist Bun (as in sweet lotus buns).

Use jing, qi and shen to fish for the answer at the forum. Understand?

hi dear one lima,

savvy enough to research just about anything, was encouraging your expression : )  

sweet lotus buns!   yes!!!

Buddhism is only one pathway out of many and appeals to some people who are attracted to the Middle Path in between two extreme "philosopical" ideologies of theology and nihilism. If all roads lead to Rome, then all spiritual paths will lead across to the other shore. The difference is to the type of 'vehicle' and its speed that one uses to cross that ocean of samsara. There was once that I attended a bible-study cell and the cell leader spoke of going to Heaven together hand-in-hand. Immediately I said to the group that that was impossible. If I had known of Marblehead's mantra then, I would have exclaimed "Om teehee svaha!" there and then.

If we look and take a leaf out of the Zen (or Ch'an) practice of indirect questioning, then you are very right, but then, it should be purposeful. Those 'koans' seems nonsensical on the surface, but forces the student to think outside the 'box'

to wrap up a bit and refer back to the welcome for sam sav... 

all roads may not lead to rome... and not all direction givers are sincere or correct.  the bible "cell" leader was sadly misguided, and leading others from behind by talking about someplace he had never been.  like pointing down a path that ones heard others talk about and giving directions that are repeated from people that have never been to the destination or even taken the journey full on... most "roads" circle the city of samsara and never really lead anywhere.  most people, no matter how well intentioned, scholarly or even practiced, die a common death caught up in their mental constructs and ideas...   sadly, this body may end up being one of them.  

the koan is so effective because it allows to mind to loosen... where the space of reaching and growing and striving in the mind meets with "uh"... that is the place of juicy unfoldment (says the lotus, haha)   

one hand clapping

a high five 

with God

one hand clapping

the typewriter

a slow welcome sam

p.s. glad you like the mantra... om teehee ah hung, no rice, phet

Edited by onelotus
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, onelotus said:

sweet lotus buns!   yes!!!

Hi onelotus,

Apparently you are a bum who loves buns, 

Make your own sweet lotus buns re this URL:

Recipe looks pretty easy to me. Now you can have your fixes 24/7 (provided you are not a lazy bum).

The above recipe features red bean paste; and if you prefer lotus seed paste (but of course) please use 'jing + qi + shen' to fish out the lotus paste recipe on Utube. Can you?

Just in case others throw rock buns at me for not being serious @ TDB, can I defend myself with this my personal belief - Laotzu is a joker? 

Laotzu - 'is'? Yes -'is'. Why? He is an immortal - ask Starjumper

Pamper your gullet with Oolong tea when chewing your buns. Oolong tea? Again ask Starjumper (aka The Black Dragon).

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct typo error.
  • Like 2

Hi Marblehead, I am also not complete unless I have reached the state of a 'non-returner'. I leave you with the following 'twin verse' from the Dhammapada, a collection of the Buddha's miscellaneous sayings.

"Mind precedes all mental states,

Mind is their chief,

they are all mind-wrought.

If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts,

suffering follows him like the wheel

that  follows the foot of the ox.

Mind precedes all mental states,

Mind is their chief,

they are all mind-wrought.

If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts,

happiness follows him,

like his never departing shadow." 

(translated by Ven. Sri Achariya Buddharakkhita)

Edited by Sudhamma
  • Like 2

On 6/12/2017 at 10:05 PM, onelotus said:

all roads may not lead to rome

But all roads lead to HOME?

- LimA

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Limahong said:

But all roads lead to HOME?

- LimA

We are already "home".  We just need to stop walking around in circles.

3 minutes ago, Marblehead said:
12 minutes ago, Limahong said:

We are already "home".  We just need to stop walking around in circles.

Hi Marblehead,

If your "home" is within each of us, why are we "walking around in circles"?

Because our minds obstruct us from our "home"?

If your "home" is external to us, where is it?

- LimA

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Marblehead,

If your "home" is within each of us, why are we "walking around in circles"?

Because our minds obstruct us from our "home"?

If your "home" is external to us, where is it?

- LimA

Yes, our home is internal.  No matter where our body wanders we are still home.

And yes, it is our monkey mind, wanting better for our physical world.  We need reduce our ego and our desires.  Some of both is needed though to make it peacefully through this physical life.

4 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Yes, our home is internal.  No matter where our body wanders we are still home.

Hi Marblehead,

When we find peace within ourselves, we come home more often?

When we are at home, you stop wondering and I stop wandering?

HOME SWEET HOME

- LimA

Yes.

and 

Yes.

And when we do have the need to wander we should do so with the intent of leaving no footprints.

Hi Marblehead,

You are a SERIOUS joker. High respect.

Now I am at home eating cookies without milk. Why? Ran out of milk. Should I buy a cow so that I can have milk 24/7?

No footprints - beautiful.

How about fingerprints?

Goodnight.

- LimA

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Marblehead,

You are a SERIOUS joker. High respect.

Now I am at home eating cookies without milk. Why? Ran out of milk. Should I buy a cow so that I can have milk 24/7?

No footprints - beautiful.

How about fingerprints?

Goodnight.

- LimA

I would recommend going to the corner convenience store more often.

Chuang Tzu didn't say anything about fingerprints so I guess it is okay to touch if permission is granted.

I actually went shopping today and bought some canned milk.  It has a much longer shelf life than fresh milk and can be watered down to suit your individual taste if desired.  (I will be using mine to mix with berries I really enjoy eating.)

Good morning Marblehead,

When i put footprints and fingerprints together, I was thinking of traceability.

During Chuang Tzu's time, fingerprints already known? Who 'discovered' fingerprints?

"It is okay to touch if permission is granted". Touch WHAT?

Your sharing - milk of human kindness. Thank you.

- LimA

To the best of my recall Chuang Tzu never spoke of fingerprints so that remains unknown to me.

Yes, I understood traceability.  Be the shadow:  He came and he left and no one ever knew he was there.

Touch WHAT?  Use your imagination.

Spoiler

Now I need more cookies for my milk.

Hi Marblehead,

Humour is a hallmark of your postings. Good alignment with this from you:

post-42212-0-00825300-1449486374_thumb.jpg

To me the yin/yang symbol is a figurative representation of cyclical comedies (everything has its flip-side).

Taoism and Laotzu => humour?

Please refer to the attached - "Exploration of Chinese humour".

- LimA

Exploration_of_Chinese_humor.pdf

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Touch WHAT?  Use your imagination.

Hi Marblehead,

Actually when it comes to the WHAT, I can be pretty imaginative. But I am not telling. Why am I such a spoil sport?

Because you left me high and dry with your Joe Turner video. When I clicked on it, I got this - 'this video is not available'.

Why post a non-available video unless you bloody intention is to fluster? Damn it!

Why am I so flustered? Because I got no answers to these unimaginative questions:

(i) Why is Joe so high?

(ii) What (who) is Joe riding?

(iii) THAT look on his face - was it before, during or after the ride?

Serve you right for being cookies-deficient. 

- LimA

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this