Sign in to follow this  
nine tailed fox

help me with eyes

Guys, I need some suggestions regarding the positionof eyes during meditation

I am very confused about eye position

If I close my eyes during meditation , I feel very strong heaviness in my head and eyes all day long ( may be because I unconsciously forcefully shut my eyes forcefully )

I mean it's like I feel my eyes and head heavy and sleepy all day long

But than I tried to do meditation with open eyes and this heaviness problem disappeared in 1-2 sessions

But with open eyes , my eyes keep fluctuating from one position to another, sometimes I keep them on floor, sometimes at nose , sometimes in front

I don't know just what to do with them, I keep changing the position because I feel like this position could be correct or that one

Any advise ?

If i choose to close them, what should i do so i dont get that heaviness (any exercise maybe or something else )

And if i choose to open them, where should i focus them, what should i do with them

At the Temple I go to, the Ripnoche advises to gently close your eyes, or keep them slightly open, gazing down towards your nose.

At about 9 minutes in on this video he gives instruction on the eyes and posture for meditation.

It's strange. I can clearly remember going through the exactly the same thing. I had exactly the same feelings and exactly the same questions. The thing is, I've absolutely no idea what the answer was other than, in time, the tension I felt towards this just diminished and then vanished.

What is actually happening is that you are encountering a deeper tension inside of you that is trying to justify its existence in that situation and is doing so by attaching itself to the issue of what to do with your eyes.

Your encountering of this frustration is a good thing and shows that the practice is doing what it should be. Rather than worrying about what to do with the eyes, are you able to witness the tension behind it? I think it was just a general existential one for me that I'd never really noticed before because I'd never really just sat 'with myself' before.

Edited by Miffymog
  • Like 2

Did you know that the Liver opens in the eyes? So any eye problems are Liver-related problems.

Care to describe what a normal day is like for you? I will give you some advice based on that.

:)

Did you know that the Liver opens in the eyes? So any eye problems are Liver-related problems.

Care to describe what a normal day is like for you? I will give you some advice based on that.

:)

Like what about the day

Anything specific ?

Your daily routine as in work, study and personal practice and any other form of exercise. Also waking hours, meal times, if you go late to bed, etc.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this