Sign in to follow this  
roger

choices reinforce beliefs

Something I consider of utmost significance is how, with every choice we make, we're teaching, learning, and reinforcing the beliefs out of which those choices arise.

There was a girl at a restaurant last night who was somewhat unkind to me, and it was apparent that she had a deep-seated sense of shame and unworthiness.

So, by choosing to interact with others in that way, she was reinforcing and giving power to the belief that she doesn't feel good about herself, that fear is justified, that she needs to have her guard up, and that that's the kind of person she is.

Another girl, today, was very kind to me. By making the choice to be kind, she was learning and reinforcing the idea that it's safe to love, that she feels good about herself, and many other postive and ultimately true ideas.

I walked pass a beautiful woman today, and I turned around to look at her. I felt that I had to. It was compulsive. Unfortunately, I reinforced and learned the underlying false ideas- that I'm not really free, that women's beauty has power over me, that I'm not in total control of myself, and so on.

You're FREE whether you ACT like it or not. But if you don't act like it, you're giving power to the illusion that you're NOT free.

I feel that our choices are very important and powerfully reinforce the beliefs that sponsor them.

• Like 1

Most animals, both domesticated and wild I have observed have an agenda(s) survive as safely and efficiently as possible, reproduce.

Agriculture often requires "controlling" animals either keeping them in or out. Regardless of whether they are in or out, most animals search for gaps, windows or doorways something about the grass always greener on the other side.

Have a resident fox who luckily survived a bout with mange a few years back. This fox finds a discrete location to study its territory and the changes made. We employ both concrete reinforcing wire 50 inches high (metal) and plastic deer fence 7 foot high.

They both are quickly breached if not maintained.

In Pennsylvania there is a wolf sanctuary with several different packs. They are in a double fence paddock. Two eight foot high chain link fence. And I believe the concrete is 5 feet deep to prevent them digging out. One stormy night a tree fell on the fence allowing some of the animals to climb its trunk and jump to freedom. But all were not able to climb the trunk pups and their mom aunts stayed inside. Those outside didn't stray to far out of loyalty to the pack.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this