bigstick

Qigong Basics: Gathering Chi?

I tried to stand tree, but it took long time to begin to feel anything.

How long is it optimal to stand from your point of view? And when?

Rgrds, Ilya

This is a question of Qi sensitivity to things...   There is no right or wrong answer; there is only experience.  If you're interested to explore Qi sensitivity training, look here:

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/41801-qigong-sensitivity-training-using-yi-quan/

But in general, start with palms facing each other... opening hands ( inhale) and closing in (exhale) with your breath... just focus on the palms center.... empty your mind, and let your body flow with Qi.   You might feel a boundary form as you press inwards... if you do, then explore the roundness of that boundary.

Lots of great ideas on this thread already.

For me, I practice taiji. The more you repeat, the deeper the relaxation, the more readily the the energy flows. I would describe it as movement without effort. It is basically moving Qigong where you feel the energy from the outside moving your body. It cannot be willed with intention. It just comes when it comes.

• Like 1

I tried to stand tree, but it took long time to begin to feel anything.

How long is it optimal to stand from your point of view? And when?

Rgrds, Ilya

Like I said, until you've actively cleared your channels out, passively allowing qi to flow through them is an exercise in near-pointlessness...

In this case, the optimal time to stand is 0, because it's largely a pointless waste of time.

It's like watching and waiting for water to drip out of a faucet, without turning it on first... :D

• Like 1

Like I said, until you've actively cleared your channels out, passively allowing qi to flow through them is an exercise in near-pointlessness...

In this case, the optimal time to stand is 0, because it's largely a pointless waste of time.

It's like watching and waiting for water to drip out of a faucet, without turning it on first... :D

Indeed, this is why moving cultivation is so helpful. Along with dredging the channels.

My personal opinion, though flawed it is, is that the question itself of "gathering" Qi is incorrect.

We already have it, get it, make it, etc. The issue is more about function and flow.

Does your energetic, physical, emotional, mental structure function in harmonious fashion?

Does the Qi within your system flow smoothly when it should?

Secondly, I think it is more...about cultivation itself. We don't gather a bunch of Qi into a TanTien, we transform and harmonize the function of the TanTien so it can by itself hold more Qi automatically/ function in a more efficient manner.

Some ramblings to throw into the mix.

• Like 2

Indeed, this is why moving cultivation is so helpful. Along with dredging the channels.

Does the Qi within your system flow smoothly when it should?

Well, compare the New Agey qigong versions to the more traditional systems...

The traditional curriculums often include (or implicitly do by "requiring" prerequisite jibengong) a very rigorous, yoga-type, preliminary stretching/bodywork routine.  Whereas most New Agey ones COMPLETELY OMIT THAT - and jump right into all the passive, slo-mo air swimming!

But if you're wayyy too stiff to even come close to the splits...then how can you expect energy to easily pass through your body???  Wishful thinking? :lol:

Edited by gendao
  • Like 1