Sign in to follow this  
Papayapple

Amulets & Talismans

Ones state of mind  relates to ones health  and speed of recovery .  Thats basically it, I think. 

Do placebos actually eliminate disease .... or just ease symptoms ? 

Ones state of mind  relates to ones health  and speed of recovery .  Thats basically it, I think. 

Do placebos actually eliminate disease .... or just ease symptoms ? 

I think its two fold, I KNOW there are healing energies that can be harnessed from the 'ether', and if the operator is skilled enough to narrow down the energy to a specific frequency and act as a conduit to channel that energy into a metal or even a rock or piece of paper, the amulet will have an effect, and at best only a small one if the magus is not the one actually using it (how many times has that energy been stepped down? Even then, can the recipient of the amulet channel that frequency harnessed by the magus). And on a lower level, and probably the more historic one, I beleive they do act as a placebo to give one 'confidence' against disease during the times of plague and bravery in times of war, etc and on even a lower level to get one laid or destroy an enemy...unfortunately, this is more than likely what the majority of modern dabblers are interested in.

Placebo? if not how does one think these work 'scientifically' 

Clarke's third law:   Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
  • Like 2

Clarke's third law:   Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Well yeah, but its not technology in the modern sense of the word. Occultism is a science but it is not scientific, ultimately the currents we utilize cannot be measured by lab equipment. 

Edit: This is a great question because it got me thinking, as such: 

I can shine a laser pointer at an undiscovered tribe in the amazon and they would believe it is 'magic' and probably believe I am a God, but that is hardly what we are talking about. A laser beam, as a light wave can be measured by our modern equipment, that is, our cognitive abilities can grasp it's mathematical properties through our tools of measurement (which are really just extensions of our basic 5 senses) Talismanic magic is more akin to hitting the lottery on a consistent basis. there is pattern there that can be tracked but its source cannot be quantified. 

Edited by noonespecial

Well yeah, but its not technology in the modern sense of the word. Occultism is a science but it is not scientific, ultimately the currents we utilize cannot be measured by lab equipment. 

Edit: This is a great question because it got me thinking, as such: 

I can shine a laser pointer at an undiscovered tribe in the amazon and they would believe it is 'magic' and probably believe I am a God, but that is hardly what we are talking about. A laser beam, as a light wave can be measured by our modern equipment, that is, our cognitive abilities can grasp it's mathematical properties through our tools of measurement (which are really just extensions of our basic 5 senses) Talismanic magic is more akin to hitting the lottery on a consistent basis. there is pattern there that can be tracked but its source cannot be quantified. 

I've been studying and practicing taoist sciences for many years and have come to the conclusion that you are the most amazing and most advanced technology in the universe, but you don't have the operating manual for how to use it.  No lab is equipped to measure what this technology can do -- because their function is to do something opposite, to wit, to keep you so busy playing with (and obeying) trinkets that you never look in the direction where that lost (or, rather, stolen) manual can be retrieved.

Well, I've found a bunch of pages and started studying it.  And that's why I have a bit of access to a bit of the most amazing technology that I am.  Nowhere near all of it yet.  Maybe one-tenth of one percent.  Maybe less.  But even with this I've done things that you can't explain away with that catch-all bucket, "placebo."  What was the placebo effect of my installing remedies at home after I determined, with Xuan Kong feng shui, that of the two job offers my husband was considering, one would mean disaster, for reasons I could neither comprehend not guess at but decided to trust the taoist science that gave me this conclusion?  The moment I did install that "placebo," the calls from the company that, of the two, was the one he was leaning toward, stopped, suddenly all the people who had been very passionately interested in hiring him just fell off the face of the earth.  So he took the second offer.  The day he started work there instead of place number one was September 11, 2001.  The job he would have taken if it wasn't for my "placebo" was on the 103rd floor of one of the towers.  There were no survivors on that floor. 

Yes, not measurable by "modern scientific" methods.  Measurable and occasionally do-something-aboutable by mine. 

Giving you just one example from my own experience -- not the only one, not the most dramatic one. 

Oh, and when they tell you that "primitive" tribes would think you're a god if you point a laser beam in their direction, they are flattering themselves and flat out lying.  In reality, uncontacted tribes, upon being contacted in this manner, don't see us as gods at all.  They see us for what we are, for what we've become -- dangerous malfunctioning tools.

• Like 5

Perhaps.  I've heard many stories about its power, and observed what must be it in others, but personally, I have never experienced the placebo effect.  Somehow I'm immune. 

Will tell you another story to illustrate what I mean.  When I first came to the US, that was before Western sodas made an appearance in the country I left behind, and "diet" beverages were unknown.  I was very enthusiastic to try everything new, I was fascinated by what seemed as an endless variety of consumer stuff to consume, and I had my first sip of Pepsi mentally geared to give it the most favorable review.  It proved too sweet for my taste, so I thought, OK, next I will try "diet" Pepsi, "diet' must mean it has less sugar, right?  I didn't know anything about aspartame, I thought "diet" means not as excessively sugared.  So next day I got myself a can of Diet Pepsi during lunch break.  Came back to work, opened the can, took a sip...  spewed it right out nearly getting my boss in the face (a nice guy, merciful and forgiving :) ) and started yelling in panic, "Oh my god, Mr.T., I think I have been poisoned, this can has been tampered with or something, I taste some awful poison!  What do I do?..  Do I call 911?  I'm scared!"  Mr. T. bravely took a sip himself despite my protests.  "It tastes OK," he said, "a normal diet Pepsi.  What's gotten into you?"

What had gotten into me was immunity to placebo effects...  People who drink this expect and believe that it's sweet.  So did I.  But instead I tasted what it really was.  So, I can't be the judge of how the placebo effect works, because for better or for worse, it does not work on me. 

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this