cobrien

What to look for in a teacher/potential books

I have been doing breathing techniques for about two years now. The experience has made me far more grounded. The energetic states I have experienced have brought me immense joy. I am beginning to find it desirous to search for postures and other breathing techniques. I located a local teacher. However I was not impressed by his so called demonstrations. I felt nothing strong enough to be called something other than body heat.

I actually booked a one on one session with him to see his techniques and seek his advice. What brought me to write this post is mainly a desire to seek more ecstatic states of inner power. In order to do this more efficiently I desire a methodology or system.

How does one assess a potential teacher or system? What I find desirous is not the inner power, but inner peace. Of course I am already on a proper path to achieve such a thing.

I have the inclination to teach myself. I find that there are tools to allow this like books.

What books do you recommend and why? 

• Like 1

Perhaps try Ajahn Brahms.   A pretty hip monk.  His path Buddhism, one that freely dabbles in Siddhis.  His main basis is simple sincere meditation, gaining wisdom through dharma talks.  Google him and you'll find lots of free audio's wise and humorous.  Good books, some free, others like 'Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond'.  

might be what you're looking for.

• Like 1