Sign in to follow this  
nine tailed fox

Zafu stuffing

Guys I am thinking about making my own zafu and zabuton 

But I don't have access to either buckwheat hull or kapok, which are normally stuffed in zafu 

So which stuff should I use to stuff the zafu and zabuton  ? 

I can use pure cotton, synthetic cotton or foam,  but cotton tends to flat down very easily , may be foam lasts longer 

I have also heard that zafu and zabuton also plays role energetically, probably by restraining the energy from leaking 

So which stuff would also fulfill this energetic need or any other need which traditional zafu fulfills  ? 

Random Zafu thoughts..

I'd like to find a wooden zafu.. or have one made.   Maybe with a little leather on the seat, or cotton.

FWIW I prefer crescent shaped zafu's.  I used to have a nice wooden seiza bench. 

A few days ago I found a nice spot to meditate.  Sitting on a low tree stump by running water.  Felt very nice. 

I just searched amazon.  Nobody seems to sell wooden zafu's.   I suppose I could keep my eye out for a nice flattish log. 

Edited by thelerner

I would not say that it is not important. It's just that there are a slew of other things you can work on/be concerned about than your zafu stuffing as a meditator. Don't sweat the small stuff. :)

Ya u am aware of that,  but I am just asking 

Should I use synthetic cotton or foam  ?  Do they fulfill the energetic requirement  ? 

Pure cotton tends to flatten very quickly 

Random Zafu thoughts..

I'd like to find a wooden zafu.. or have one made. Maybe with a little leather on the seat, or cotton.

FWIW I prefer crescent shaped zafu's. I used to have a nice wooden seiza bench.

A few days ago I found a nice spot to meditate. Sitting on a low tree stump by running water. Felt very nice.

I just searched amazon. Nobody seems to sell wooden zafu's. I suppose I could keep my eye out for a nice flattish log.

I built my own. I love it.

http://thedaobums.com/topic/30758-my-no-pain-meditation-seat/?fromsearch=1

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this