dust

Cloud Appreciation

It’s taken me a while to respond, but when I read your comment connecting sunset and clouds it reminded me of some of the names of the women in Cao Xueqin’s classic 18th century novel The Story  of the Stone. I’ve been reading the translation by David Hawkes and it’s interesting how he de-emphasises ‘cloud’ and emphasises ‘sun’ when he translates their names. For instance he translates the maid named Cai-xia (meaning: Colourful Red Cloud) as Sunset.

It made me wonder if cloud names are common for women in China. In the novel there’s also:

Qingwen  晴雯; Meaning: Fair Weather Cirrus. Hawkes translation: Skybright.

Cai-yun;  Meaning: Colourful Cloud. Hawkes translation: Suncloud.

Shi Xiangyun  史湘雲; Meaning: Xiang River Clouds

Come to think of it, yes. Quite common today too, I guess. I knew a Wenwen 雯雯, for example, and I'm sure I've met people with Yun 雲 in their name. Yu 雨 rain is very common as part of female names (notice the characters for clouds such 雯 and 雲 include the character for rain).

Certainly interesting that literal translations are not always used, and sun is emphasised. I suppose that 'Skybright' is snappier, rolls off the tongue better, than 'Fair Weather Cirrus'... but I think Cirrus itself is a beautiful word.

It's not just clouds of course (as I'm sure you're aware), but 'nature' in general. In Japan, too; recently watching the latest Sasuke (Ninja Warrior, I've loved it for years) I noticed how many surnames involve mountains, trees, rivers, flowers, etc.

I suppose some English given names and surnames were once inspired by nature, but meanings have become obscured.

• Like 3

Took a couple on my phone the other day. It's been overcast for a while (good for rain, not much to show in a photo..) but every so often they break apart..

untitled_by_dustybeijing-d9haio7.jpg

untitled_by_dustybeijing-d9hainv.jpg

untitled_by_dustybeijing-d9haioi.jpg

• Like 4

Took a series of this sunset as the clouds rolled in a couple years ago. Randomly stumbled over them just now. Seems one should go here.

sunset.jpg

Oh, and 5 minutes earlier, looking the other direction:

sunset2.jpg

That bank of clouds was rapidly moving in. The misty arm on the left of the first picture is the beginning of what is seen in the second picture. Was quite humbling to be in the middle of.

• Like 5

This was featured on deviantArt today.. quite striking..

15671653abce9115f1acddd3e24d1f7f-d9fehp9

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 3