Cameron

Aikido or BJJ

My Aikido teacher is one of the most martial of all the Aikikai Shihans, He's a bad ass and he can back up his Aikido with technique. Actually, most all of the teachers I have studied with are basically martial artists first.

I thought about it but don't think it would be good for me to mix BJJ and Aikido at this point. That said, after I get back to training for maybe a year and build my body up I wouldn't turn down challenges from BJJ dudes or whatever to 'test' my Aikido. My guess is once I add the standing practices I learned from Max in most BJJ guys would have a hard time just taking me to the ground anyway. When you have a really strong root and people can't take you down that pretty much neutralizes BJJ right there.

Comptetition and proving yourself 'better' than others might be fun but for spiritual development Aikido is better because competition and trying to be better than others is discarded right from the beginning(in theory) and you can turn your whole attention to developing body,mind and spirit integration.

Cam

jst bullsht that y have to be all competitive in MA. My teacher throws the belt at me. you don't have to pick it up.

it's tecnique technique technique. it's fun to meditate in action and i'm grateful. realize when your adrenaline kicks in, be honest and enjoy.

BJJ and MMA is a sport. When you realize the difference between sport, reality and spiritual development it puts everything in persective.

As for "real life" stuff. If you can get to the point of Robert Deniro's character here in "Ronin" that's about all you need. I don't want to carry guns but the real bad asses are the ones who can keep there nerves cool even in a life or death situation. My guess is O'Sensei reached that point and then went well beyond it.

Guest sykkelpump

I think you will be very disapointed when you test your aikido against bjj

I already have. I "rolled" with BJJ Black Belts and I know UFC fighters. One of my best friends is basically the USA representative of Chute Boxe academy in Brazil.

Don't presume you have a clue who anyone is from some internet posts.

I still haven't seen enough evidence to conclude that Aikido is "the best" martial art, whether in competition or self-defense, but I'm glad your Aikido has served you well. I appreciate Aikido from the Jeet Kune Do perspective when it comes to combative techniques ("absorb what is useful, reject what is useless") , but I think more than anything, it has tremendous value as a form of moving meditation.

On another note, I wouldn't be too hasty in dismissing the value of the competitive experience, whether that of a contemporary MMA fighter, or Ueshiba himself. After all, Ueshiba only came to enlightenment after he had gone through the "cocoon" phase of developing a strongly defined personality. He had to develop his ego first in order to transcend it, and competition, for those given to self-reflection, can be a VERY effective means of reaching this end, as Frank Shamrock is apparently discovering now. (Or, to take a more everyday example, I once had a PE teacher who had retired from a much-heralded athletic career to become one of the most spiritual people I've ever met. His classes went sooooo far beyond just "getting in shape." Despite having what could initially appear to be a gruff manner, he had a genuine sense of service and a genuine sense of compassion for ALL his students, not just the athletic stars.)

I think Lozen once said elsewhere that she found a lot of Aikido guys to be very passive-aggressive. I wouldn't be surprised if that's true in at least some cases. Men (especially men) who don't have that ego-developing experience like Ueshiba are often full of resentment. They haven't transcended their aggression, they've just suppressed it, and it can come out it in some ugly ways. I've also noticed this among some New Age men who are into energy work. At any rate, I tend to be suspicious of people who claim they've jumped to the top of the spiritual pyramid and reached a state of desirelessness, if they haven't had much experience of actually chasing their desires and attaining at least some of them prior to their supposed enlightenment. Those who have intensely pursued their goals are in a position to judge what efforts have been or still are worthy; such people--again, if self-reflective--are less likely to live with bitterness, regrets, or any kind of second-guessing about the course they took in life.

Just my two cents worth. I think anyone who does the requisite "inner work"--no matter what the undertaking--can become balanced, i.e. develop strength of character (not to be confused with unchecked egotism) and peace (not to be confused with *suppressed* egotism).

Hope this makes sense--I'm posting in haste. Hmm . . . Would you say that Aikido helps you to post with more poise, Cameron? :)

Guest sykkelpump

I already have. I "rolled" with BJJ Black Belts and I know UFC fighters. One of my best friends is basically the USA representative of Chute Boxe academy in Brazil.

Don't presume you have a clue who anyone is from some internet posts.

well,how did it go when you rolled agaist bjj black belts?

Let's please not turn this into another which martial art is the best thread for the love of Tao.

I have very strong hips..so if you are trying to take me down unless your Jacare or Fedor or Randy Couteur or something it's probably not happening.

That said, I respect BJJ-like I said it's not about which art is best-I even entertained going back to BJJ but I am 32 now and don't feel like going to war every night with college kids on steroids.

BJJ practitioners would beat most Aikido pracitioners..but my Aikido teacher is not most Aikido pracitioners. Unless your Matt Hughes level take downs you would get spanked.

Again..I am more interested in mind,body, spirit unification training at this point and imho Aikido-under a true master-beats BJJ in that department.

For self defense fast purpouses..go get your BJJ purple belt and stop talking shit on Taobums :)

Guest sykkelpump

I have very strong hips..so if you are trying to take me down unless your Jacare or Fedor or Randy Couteur or something it's probably not happening.

hehe,what have strong hips to do with takedown defense to do? Strong hips is good when you are on the bottom on the ground ,for bumping up making space for an escape.but bjj is mostly technique.Thats why randy couture had big problem with taking little bj penn down on training.But who am I to tell you,you are already on level with Randy,Jacare and Fedor

skykklelpunk,

I am done talking about this.

1. I never said Aikido is better than BJJ

2. I never said I was on the level of Fedor or Randy

Your obviously a shit talking, internet key board warrior putting words in my mouth. This is the last I am saying on this thread. I am sure you would just totally school me with your BJJ skills if we met if that makes you feel better.

Cam

Guest sykkelpump

skykklelpunk,

I am done talking about this.

1. I never said Aikido is better than BJJ

2. I never said I was on the level of Fedor or Randy

Your obviously a shit talking, internet key board warrior putting words in my mouth. This is the last I am saying on this thread. I am sure you would just totally school me with your BJJ skills if we met if that makes you feel better.

Cam

You seem a little agressiv Cam,maybe you shouldent train martial arts at all

Wrong again!

Aikido gives me the opportunity to work on myself without dealing with overly aggressive ego's on too much testosterone who want to choke eachother out.

Thus..the Aikido way enables agressive martial artist types like me to develop themselves over many years and aspire to a higher level of love and peace.

Dealing with Skykklepunks is another level of development that probably many masters(not saying I am one!) probably won't acheive in this lifetime.

Best!

Guest sykkelpump

Wrong again!

Aikido gives me the opportunity to work on myself without dealing with overly aggressive ego's on too much testosterone who want to choke eachother out.

Thus..the Aikido way enables agressive martial artist types like me to develop themselves over many years and aspire to a higher level of love and peace.

Dealing with Skykklepunks is another level of development that probably many masters(not saying I am one!) probably won't acheive in this lifetime.

Best!

Hehe,I thougt you just said you was done talking about this.But since you`re not.you never answered how it did go when rolling against allt those black belts you know?

"I have very strong hips..so if you are trying to take me down unless your Jacare or Fedor or Randy Couteur or something it's probably not happening."

I'm sorry but that is utterly,fantastically absurd.

There are hundreds if not thousands of college and even high school wrestlers who would have no problems taking you or I down..no matter how many hindu squats you can do or how much you imagine yourself rooted to the earth.

Also takedowns are more effective with striking and Aikido is less effective when striking is added.

Guest sykkelpump

I am very tired of your stupid post.i could go on forever telling you how stupid you are,but you are to stupid to understand.read your own post and try to understand.my last word