Sign in to follow this  
BaguaKicksAss

Back to Agrippa :)

There is a local bunch of people who wish to go through Agrippa as well.  This will keep me motivated to post a bit again.  Now just to remember which copyright free edition I had been using.... (that isn't the Tyson one). 

With the in person group, we will discuss the chapters in order, part 1 chapter 1 from book one and on, but also to keep things lively and interesting, we will covering random chapters from part 2 of book one, so we all have something to go home and work on. 

Would the folks here prefer I just stick with the order we have been doing, or whould I add the part 2 bits as well as we cover them in person? 

• Like 1

Welcome back, Athena.

Talking from my experience with both functioning and non-functioning book study groups, I strongly recommend posting one chapter at a time, then wait sufficiently until the initial onrush of replies has ceased, before starting a new thread. The way is the goal! ;)  According to my observation, whenever the OP is going too fast, contributors can't keep up, soon lose interest, and the whole thing goes down the drain.

The structure previously used is basically a good one, additional posts can be added to those threads, of course.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

Back to Agrippa!  A lovely idea I have been saying that for decades now.

Oh, wait a moment, you mean back to posting in our little study group, WELL, that is even better!

To celebrate I will have to post more in my thread on Occult Virtues.  In a few days, hopefully . . ., but with BaguaKicksAss here for inspiration, who knows what may happen.

• Like 2

Just for fun:

Chapter xxxviii. How we may draw not only Celestiall, and vitall, but also certain Intellectuall, and divine gifts from above.Magicians teach that Celestial gifts may through inferiors being conformable to superiors be drawn down by opportune influencies of the Heaven; and so also by these Celestial [gifts], the Celestial Angels, as they are servants of the Stars, may be procured, and conveyed to us. Iamblichus, Proclus, and Synesius, with the whole School of Platonists confirm, that not only Celestiall, and vitall, but also certain Intellectuall, Angelicall, and divine gifts may be received from above by some certain matters, having a naturall power of divinity (i.e.) which have a naturall correspondency with the superiors, being rightly received, and opportunely gathered together according to the rules of Naturall Philosophy, and Astronomy: And Mercurius Trismegistus writes, that an Image rightly made of certain proper things, appropriated to any one certain Angel, will presently be animated by that Angel. Of the same also Austin [st. Augustine] makes mention in his eighth book De Civitate Dei [the City of God]. For this is the harmony of the world, that things supercelestiall be drawn down by the Celestiall, and the super-naturall [supernatural] by naturall, because there is one operative vertue that is diffused through all kinds of things, by which vertue indeed, as manifest things are produced out of occult causes; so a Magician doth make use of things manifest, to draw forth things that are occult, viz. through the rays of the Stars, through fumes, lights, sounds, and naturall things, which are agreeable to Celestiall: in which, besides corporeall qualities, there is a kind of reason, sense, and harmony, and incorporeall, and divine measures, and orders. So we read that the Ancients were wont often to receive some divine, and wonderfull thing by certain naturall things: so the stone that is bred in the Apple of the eye of a Civet Cat, held under the tongue of a man, is said to make him to divine, or prophesie [prophesy]: The same is Selenite, the Moon stone [moonstone], reported to do, so they say that the Images of Gods may be called up by the stone called Anchitis, and that the Ghosts of the dead may be, being called up, kept up by the stone Synochitis. The like doth the Hearb [herb] Aglauphotis do, which is called Marmorites, growing upon the Marbles of Arabia, as saith Pliny, and the which Magicians use. Also there is an Hearb [herb] called Rheangelida, which Magicians drinking of, can prophesie [prophesy]. Moreover there are some Hearbs [herbs] by which the dead are raised to life; whence Xanthus the Historian tels, that with a certain Hearb [herb] called Balus, a young Dragon being killed, was made alive again, also that by the same a certain man of Tillum, whom a Dragon killed, was restored to life: and Juba reports, that in Arabia a certain man was by a certain Hearb [herb] restored to life. But whether or no any such things can be done indeed upon man by the vertue of Hearbs [herbs], or any other naturall thing, we shall discourse in the following Chapter. Now it is certain, and manifest that such things can be done upon other animals. So if flies, that are drowned, be put into warm ashes, they revive. And Bees being drowned, do in like manner recover life in the juice of the hearb Nip [herb catnip]; and Eels being dead for want of water, if with their whole bodies they be put under mud in vineger [vinegar], and the blood of a Vultur [vulture] being put to them, will all of them in a few dayes recover life. They say that if the fish Echeneis be cut into peices [pieces], and cast into the sea, the parts will within a little time come together, and live. Also we know that the Pellican [pelican] doth restore her yong [young] to life, being killed, with her own blood.

ZYD, do you happen to remember my original source PDF I was c/p from?  I love Peterson's site, but I don't want to go and just c/p heaps of his hard work....

Edited by BaguaKicksAss

Your original reference was here:

OK so, I finally found a copyright free copy of Agrippa that I can copy/paste from. It's not the best version (I have heard bad things about it) but it will have to do, and I can also point people to esotericarchives.com version for clarification. Just whatever you do, don't read Tyson's footnotes on/in his version of it! He pulls modern golden dawn correspondences and thinking and plugs them into Agrippa's work, assuming they are the same. They aren't.

https://archive.org/details/HeinrichCorneliusAgrippa-PhilosophyOfNaturalMagicAllIiiVolumes_224 is where you can download a copy, but I will also be posting bits each day (when I am online that is) here, as well as on my website (using wordpress hehe).

Here is a nice copy: https://archive.org/details/threebooksofoccu00agri

Another: https://archive.org/details/ThreeBooksOfOccultPhilosophydeOccultaPhilosophia1651

It may be interesting to compare and contrast each version too :).

But the problem with both is that they are only different editions of Volume One that were prepared by Willis Whitehead in the 1890s from French's translation.

Looking all over the place for a version of all three in the past has mostly resulted in illegal copies of Peterson's, until now! This site:

Early English Books Online

Is hosted by the University of Michigan and has a transcript of French's translation that is complete, though in a quick look through I did notice some lacunae, which is apparently licensed under Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication (CC0 1.0 Universal), which you can read about here:

EEBO-TCP Phase I Public Release

The Text Table of Contents is here:

Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy at EEBO

Though I wonder if, bearing in mind all of the illegal copies of Peterson's version running around, he might not appreciate some acknowledgment of his contribution and an occasional plug for his CD-rom collection.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this