I've started learning Kenny Gong's line of xingyi and it's so different from the Hebei and Henan stuff I've been shown in person and dabbled with in the past. I'm still a rank novice at this art and it's incredibly powerful for integrating the sides and ribs - that is our focus currently. After putting in almost two months sifu gave me the gift of saam choy and the metal element today. He doesn't want to cast pearls before swine any longer so he kept it back until he knew I was doing the work.

I wish I could talk more about it but I'm not knowledgeable enough yet. Here is an example of sifu teaching wood element.

What has your experience been like? Have you learned other arts and found xingyi different? If you could tell a new practitioner about the art how would you describe it?

Edited by GreytoWhite
  • Like 2

Xingyi was a stepping stone, albeit a very important one, on the way to an art which has literally blown me away with it's power, speed, aggressiveness, sheer brutality,and as a way of life.

That art is xinyiliuhequan.

I don't want to derail your thread so when I get time I'll post more on this in a separate one.

Feel free to talk about xinyiliuhequan here - I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about how they contrast/compare.

• Like 1

Today I learned the first part of the breathing for our saam choy. Breathe in through the lao gong point, along the inside of the arm up to the middle of the top of the shoulder and then breathe out along the outside of the arm down to the pinky finger like a breeze.

Be prepared to invest a serious effort in building the root (santi shi), forms are useless without it.

As my teacher once told me, the real standing starts when you forget you are there and then you go back to the harshness of reality (pain for standing too long) and start all over again.

The Bible (http://www.ycgf.org/Articles/XY_SanTiShi/XY_SanTiShi.html)

Good luck :)

• Like 2

Ours is much different from what the Yin Cheng Gong Fa group does. I know that Kenny Gong's version of xingyi is supposed to be Hebei but we have pretty much eliminated all ming jing practice and at times as we're taught the theory seems much closer to Shanxi xingyi.