Sign in to follow this  
Nikolai1

Come gather round people, and hear the Good News!

Hi thelerner, 

Are you saying that you believe 'the last supper' to have been Jesus saying the normal Jewish prayer over the bread and wine, with no mention of it being his body and blood, or for the remission of sins etc. That this is all later overlay, by non Jews, or Christians with Jewish heritage?

That really does make sense to me.

Its possible.. I tend to have the mental flexibility to keep a foot in both worlds- the rationalistic and mystic.  Rationalistic appeals to my modern sensibility, but the mystic possibilities, the stories hold more wisdom, life lessons and wonder. 

• Like 1

One of the big problems nowadays is that people are repelled by the word Sin.  They allow the word to create connotations of angry judgement from up high, usually from the mouths of hypocrites.

Sin is a much softer word, and more beautiful than we think.  Etymologically it simply means to 'miss the mark'.  Sin is the exact same principle of suffering in Buddhism, avidya (ignorance) in Hinduism, being 'far from the Way' in Daoism.

Sin is simply a state of being that humanity is in, pretty much in its totality.  Like Buddha said, suffering is the primary fact of reality.  Sad but true! Why do we lose our melancholy acquiescence to this truth the moment the Christians talk of Original Sin?  Original Sin is a mild and beautiful reminder, and could be immensely useful to us if we could only stop ourselves from being bewitched by the sound of the words.  

We are all sinners, are we not? Most live and die and never escape sin.  But to be trapped by sin, is to be convinced by sin.  It is to believe that there is no way out!  There is a way out! Enlightenment is real! All we have to do is accept that there is no problem with us whatsoever.  God is merciful and loving! Whether we imagine our sins or not, they are erased.

This moment is perfect and we are perfect. Don't spoil it with doubt.  Just let this perfect moment be.  This is where God is waiting!

For all your Bible pedants in this thread...get this truth of sin straight in your own mind, and I promise you, the Bible will never sound the same again.  You will fall in love it.  It will be like love at first sight, because it will be like a book you have never yet read.  And seeing the way the text has suddenly shape-shifted before your eyes, you will never again attempt to argue its 'true meaning'

Edited by Nikolai1
  • Like 4

Sign in to follow this