dwai

Emptiness embodied

My teacher emphasizes emptiness. The feeling we get when we are doing taiji forms or qigong etc - that is emptiness. It feels like something, but perhaps it is the absence of something we feel.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

My teacher emphasizes emptiness. The feeling we get when we are doing taiji forms or qigong etc - that is emptiness. It feels like something, but perhaps it is the absence of something we feel.

Thoughts?

If you are feeling something, it is not emptiness. But that feeling can be mental clarity that many think of as emptiness.

If you are feeling something, it is not emptiness. But that feeling can be mental clarity that many think of as emptiness.

There are two aspects to this. One is complete absence of mind-stuff. That is something I've had happen during seated/supine meditation and form practice (holding taiji ball etc). But this emptiness I'm referring to is a "feeling". In Tai chi, we have to use feeling...even lack of "feeling" is in essence a feeling, is it not? :)

• Like 2

There are two aspects to this. One is complete absence of mind-stuff. That is something I've had happen during seated/supine meditation and form practice (holding taiji ball etc). But this emptiness I'm referring to is a "feeling". In Tai chi, we have to use feeling...even lack of "feeling" is in essence a feeling, is it not? :)

It is not the lack of a feeling or sensation (or quiet mind). It is as the Heart sutra describes.. The realization that Form = Void and also Void = Form. With such, things like meditation are seen through and there is no one to feel. When mediation is exactly the same as normal daily life, one is closer. It more about "being" than "doing".

• Like 1

It is not the lack of a feeling or sensation (or quiet mind). It is as the Heart sutra describes.. The realization that Form = Void and also Void = Form. With such, things like meditation are seen through and there is no one to feel. When mediation is exactly the same as normal daily life, one is closer. It more about "being" than "doing".

Yes someday soon that veil will be dropped, but for practical tai chi purposes, its a spectrum of experiences/feelings. We can't deny the duality of this universe anymore than I can deny the itch on my back right now, can we? :)

• Like 2

Yes someday soon that veil will be dropped, but for practical tai chi purposes, its a spectrum of experiences/feelings. We can't deny the duality of this universe anymore than I can deny the itch on my back right now, can we? :)

Yes, that is exactly the point. Duality of the universe and nirvana (or whatever you want to call it) is all just a spectrum of perception.

• Like 1